Universal Cardinal Quest 2 By Kongregate

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ScotDamn, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Still not on the PH appstore.... @#*&$^FRMGHGMMMRF!M@#*&(!

2. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    As has already been mentioned this 'soft launch' is also available in the Canadian App Store. Just from reading the thread it sounds more like a test beta, I don't mind such things but I wish they were labeled as such. As it is I enjoyed the first game so much that I am going to hold off on playing this one until it has been baked to perfection. I will give this Dev the benefit of the doubt as far as IAP goes, for anyone who is on the fence if you haven't played the first game then you should grab that regardless because for a fairly simple game it was balls out fun for many hours.

To be clear, the first game was 'every step you make' rogue, kind of like Desktop Dungeons on the PC but much, much more frantic once you knew what you were doing. The music and the increasing depth as you went deeper into the dungeon was a great ride, I am hoping the sequel has the same magic.

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
  4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Still not a single crash here and I think this is now my favorite rogue-like on iOS. Everything about it just feels great.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dunno why... crashed twice on my ipad air now.

I actually played CQ1 just now to scratch the itch, and I got a lucky run with the mage getting an early second fireball then a sleep spell shortly after. Great run.

Hopefully the crashes get fixed real soon as the CQ2 seems to offer a lot more than CQ1 does.

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Crashed for me when entering a new area (the 3rd or 4th map). Ipad Mini (1st gen).

Note that it did not do this on the first playthrough, but when I restarted due to death, it did crash.

Going to wait until the game is patched a bit more before committing any more time, but so far it's pretty damn good.

7. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Was anyone else heavily confused overall due to the lack of a tutorial? Im new to roguelikes so maybe thats it. But i didn't understand a lot especially why when i attacked sometimes nothing would happen for me, hard to tell if im doing somethibg wrong or if that is some game mechanic such as speed that determines whether you get the hit off

8. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I didn't play the first but got used to it quickly enough. It's more strategy than gung ho. CQ2 uses classic RPG random (dice) rolls to determine the outcome of a turn. I didn't really get into D&D or board games but I can make out that Attack is like a chance to hit relative to the target's Defense stat. Speed is how fast you can attack (i.e. with more speed, you can attack twice versus once by the enemy).

Cardinal Quest 1 used this formula:

Code:
    % to Hit = 100 * Attacker.attack / (Attacker.attack + Defender.defense);

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Could this be an accidental release? When I asked the developer when we might see this out in the US he said hopefully by March. :confused:

10. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Maybe he meant launched globally in march? :confused:

That's a ways away.

11. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

I have had my NZ account for several months now and it's the first time I am really happy to have it.

Anyway, CQ2 looks really nice after a small hour playing it. I had fears with the freemium system, but it seems it is not a problem after all. Let's wait and see how much time you need to unlock the other classes.

Apart from that, the roguelike RPG vibe is here and strong. The game is a little laggy on an iPhone 4 but it is playable.

I hope this soft launch will soon be followed by a real launch.

12. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Thats what we call a soft launch...

13. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I've put just around two hours in it and have unlocked 4 of the 6 classes so far. It feels pretty fair to me as well. :D

I want a global launch so I can throw them some money!

14. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Perhaps you're right, I've not played it so can't argue either way.
    Tbh I made a New Years resolution to not download any 'freemium' or free games this year. (of course premium to free sales don't count.)

15. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I totally understand. I freakin despise freemium games. They're single-handedly ruining gaming on mobile for core gamers. That said, I'm open to reputable developers. This could have been launched the way it is without any IAP and the way you earn morale and unlock classes would be perfectly acceptable in a premium game, on mobile or a PC/Console. Granted, this could change between now and official launch, but I'll leave that to the judgement of the developer.

16. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah, same here. It seems to be the way all mobile gaming is going, so people like me who hate IAPs and usually avoid games with them now have to make some difficult decisions.

I'm not sure how it's going to end up after the soft launch, but if nothing changes, it seems pretty reasonable in this game so far. The issue, is that this may change from one day to the next, much like when I buy a launch game for $5 or more and then afterwards they make it freemium (of all things, I despite this the most and Apple should MAKE them do a separate app in these cases).

17. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

I have collected a bit more than 3000 morale in my first run where I have gone to floor 5 in the first chapter. With that I have unlocked the mage class. Maybe unlocking a perk or an equipment for the warrior would have been more optimized but I want to discover the contents and not necessarily beat the game for now.

So yes the unlocking rate seems reasonnable. To be honest I think I would have liked this system event with the game being premium with no IAP. I would have hated it though if the game had been premium with IAP. Well it depends on the selling price too.

So far I am taking good time with it. The character management is a lot more developped than the previous CQ. Fights are simple at beginning but when you have some skills and consummables, you get more combat options.

Level design is different too, with opened areas and not only the corridors and square shaped rooms you usually get on that kind of games. But that makes me wonder, how do you know you have discovered 100% of an area for one of the achievements ? I believe I have mapped the entire area for the first 4 floors and I only have 1 counted as 100%.

So far so good otherwise.

18. dominici

dominici Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Librarian
    Australia
    #78 dominici, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Played through all three acts, collected over 15,000 morale, and only spent it on unlocking a Ranger. I enjoyed this new CQ with open lands asvwell as dungeons. i wonder if there will bek anymore acts? also, I was wondering if you unlock a perk or skill, does it remain unlocked, or do you have to acquire it again when starting a new game?

19. gladius_rex

gladius_rex Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Game Impressions

I am having an awesome time with this game! So far I've cleared all 3 episodes with two of the characters and have unlocked 5 of the 6. Everything seems exceptionally well balanced - a classic roguelike blend of strategy and luck. Each character type plays uniquely. In particular, the stealth mechanics are nicely thought out, especially in the early levels with different terrain tiles to be taken advantage of.

My only worry is that the dev will have a hard time making money from this title. I would happily paid $6-10 to play a quality roguelike like this one. The IAP is so light that I don't see many people paying for it.

20. MinusZero

MinusZero Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I thought the same thing. I'd pay for a "morale" doubler gladly, even though I don't think it would be neccissary. I was looking at my folder of Rogue-likes/lites and this one (once the crashes are worked out) could be the best to date. There are some upcoming rogues that look good. Until then, this will be my #1.