iPhone CardWarden

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jools75

Jools75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Secret Agent :-)
    Italy
    A question...

Very interesting app, I have EVERY single card of Lord of the Rings LCG (unfortunately, mine's italian edition) but for now, due to lack of free time, I'm still not planning doing the scan-and-import process in order to transfer the whole stuff into this beatiful app.

But I have a question, maybe sounds absurd for someone, but actually I really desire to figure out this answer, if possible.

I'm in Boardgamegeek and I wish to search for every "print&play, cardgame" and maybe "solitaire" themed games (like the very popular Delve The Card Game, for example), but actually I don't know absolutely how to do properly his search. I barely managed to search every "print&play" game registered in BGG, but even this outcome is way too much for me, literally tons of games, not mentioning the fact that they're not only card games...

Is it viable, to refine a search in BGG with my aforementioned keywords? How? Forgive me for my ignorance if I missed something (keep in mind I'm always on an ipad2, not exactly the best stuff to navigate the whole BGG site sometime...!).

Thanks in advance...

(Forgive me also for my bad english... Not my mother tongue LOL!)

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah that kind of search is just a mountain of information.

Some amazing PnP games off the top of my head are

Noir: Killer vs Inspector by Lvl99 games (there is also an iOS version)
    Pixel Tactics by Lvl99 games

Yomi by Sirlin Games (GLORIOUS card game and has an online version at fantasy strike.com)
    Flash Duel by Sirlin Games (My current goto travel game)

All of them are two player games but Flash Duel has a fantastic solo mode, 1v1, 2v2, 4 player raid, 4 player raid with possible traitor, and achievements... Yes, you read that right, ACHIEVEMENTS.

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Will this allow import of image files, for example with PnP games? That would certainly save you from manually photographing cards.

One roadblock I can see though, is that many PnP games come in print-ready page-sized PDF files. Many people may not have experience with extracting things from PDF files.

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Not directly, but you can view the PDF on your iPad and take screenshots. That will let you upload cards extremely fast depending on how the files are formatted.

If the card has fine text you just fiddle with zooming in to find a resolution that works well in cardwarden.

5. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Good solution. And that answers my other question too, that you can import images into the app from your camera roll.

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    You can import pics from your camera roll or from your camera with cardwarden.
    And its available now so even if there's another app like this coming at some point? I still think it was worth my money even just so I can play death angel.

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Has anyone had success in creating chits that can overlay a board at all?

I'm thinking of maybe using a solid color game table and making a card in that same color with a brightly colored arrow. that points to a track of some kind. With the solid color the excess should just disappear instead of looking really weird as it would with my current wood grain table.

I'm going on a trip soon and anyone that has met me IRL knows I carry a modified french deck plus additional cards to play games like The Resistance: Avalon, Coup, Battle Line, etc. Well with cardwarden I thought I could scan some cards and make some more complex games but I don't own many full card games that translate very well without chits.

I got Summoner Wars Filth Faction and Mercenaries factions scanned but the woulds are very hard to keep track of without chits.

I actually thought of placing chits ON my iPad which brings an interesting tactile element to playing but the logistics aren't really working out in my head.

As much as I take issue with decks being numbered instead of a simple custom menu. Cardwarden is becoming a really interesting brain teaser for me. How do I take these games I really love, strip them to their bare essentials, while keeping the game understandable for my opponent, and translate it to an engine that only let's me upload cards.

I'll keep working on it and maybe tweet my progress later today.

Also, if anyone has a particularly well implemented complex card game and wouldn't mind sharing your backup so I can pick it apart for ideas. Example: I've been working on Flash Duels and after a day of testing I got it organized in a way that makes every aspect of the actual game available and easily accessed (including finding the appropriate character deck from the 20 available)

8. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    ^^im not quite sure what your trying to do but do you know that when you click on a card you can either our red or blue tokens on it?
    I think that sounds like what you were trying to do? If not my mistake.
    There was also some pictures over at boardgamegeek of people who have made custom table skins for this with card positions or score markers drawn onto the background.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks! I saw that feature but because summoner wars takes up so much space on the board the token numbers can over lap another card making things rather confusing.

I saw that bgg post with the arrow cards which is why I mentioned trying the solid color background so as to make the effect less obvious.

However being able to make tokens and place them on other cards opens up the doors for even more complex games like Dungeon Twister or Pandemic (you could import a picture of the board as the game table)

Currently I have proper versions of The Resistance, Coup, Battle Line, Flash Duels (minus the combat track), 2 summoner wars factions, Yomi, and King of Tokyo (minus the dice).

All great games but I guess my creativity just wants to keep converting things and seeing just how complex I can really make a game.

10. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I contacted the dev the other day about the tokens being under the cards, I'd prefer to have them on the cards (especially for death angel)
    And they said there looking into having a option to be able to move the tokens.
    They also said they would look into being able to resize the card template, as the death angel cards are a little bit thinner than the template, (I got around this by just making the background table colour the same colour as the card boarder)

I agree about the physical tokens though, that would open up the possibilities to play a lot of different games.

11. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Woohoo! Death Angel is coming today! Now I have a reason to get this app! :D

12. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #32 MrMojoRisin, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    The best thing to do would be to click the arrow to the right of where it says "board game" to the left of the search bar, then change it to "geeklists". Then type something like "solo print and play" in the search bar. That will get you a nice managable list of games.

Have you checked these out?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/4451/d-series

13. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice. I keep a piece of paper in my death angel box to keep track of my wins/loses just to see how brutal the game really is. :D

14. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Oh geez... :O I can't wait to see just how brutal it is 0.0 ;)

15. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Since I started keeping my record I've got 4 wins / 14 losses :eek:

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Is there any word on when Vassal 4 for iOS is expected to be out, or it just vaporwear at this point?

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It's a free open source project. So just like other similar projects (battle for wesnoth is a great example) it's really a matter of who can donate their time and how much time they can work on it.

An engine so powerful you can make just about any board game then play it online with chat is not a simple thing to rewrite. I don't remember if I said it before but it's a complete engine rewrite from Java so it's a huge task.

18. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #38 oooooomonkey, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    New update hit today which lets you update resize the cards horizontally and vertically (before you could only zoom in/out and rotate)
    Also what I like is now you can have the tokens on top of the cards instead of below, which makes playing space hulk much easier ;-)
    Few other things in the update too all round a nice update.
    I love this app as it makes playing card games easy without having to get out all your cards.
    Especially as I save a setup table with the basics on it so it makes it even easier to setup each time.

19. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Just thought I'd post this incase anyone else is playing death angel with this app, I made a template to make it easier to setup and place the cards. Just load the pic up from your camera roll as the play table from the load game screen and it works sweet.

Attached Files:

20. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Oh and this is what it looks like with the template, and the positions I use for the different cards.
    Top left is the discard pile
    Dice under that
    Top right is the brood lords
    Under that the spare location cards.
    The rest should be obvious if your playing the game.

Attached Files: