Universal Carmageddon [by Stainless Games Ltd]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iND, Oct 16, 2012.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Still as ridiculously fun as it ever was. Considering I too wasn't a backer in the Kickstarter, I'm honestly thinking of forking over $2 for the IAP. This for free is just insane.

2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Im trying to enjoy this, but the car controls seem just awful after 15 minutes of play time. I mean, they're decently responsive to the touch, but it seems like there is no way in hell you could ever turn sharply enough to make a corner without slamming into a wall. Is this something you upgrade over time, or are the car controls purposely this shoddy to encourage driving into stuff? I hope it's not the latter. It's really hindering my enjoyment of the game right now.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Same here, i'm hoping its because its the basic 'early' cars and the handling is like its on ice.

Apart from having trouble controlling the cars at times the games great. Love the graphics, its fun hitting the other cars and cows etc.

I do want to give something to the devs but i would rather unlock the cars myself so i may pay something at the end.

Think my memory isnt so good ! I would love it if you could add weapons to your cars (can you do that later ? I cant remember the original so well !). I thought that icon was a handbrake to do a good turn but it turns out its the youtube video record button ! Oops !

But amazing considering its free, just want the handling to be better but i reckon that'll come with other cars

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont know why you hate retro games. To me if the gameplay is perfect it doesnt matter if games have great graphics or not, great sound effects or not, all comes down to the gameplay. Played a lot of current-gen games on my friends consoles and come away bored.

Granted there is a fair bit of nostalgia tripping going on with some older games. Just like in 10 years time when you discover some PS2 game you used to love has been converted to the Iphone 17 and your kids/nephews etc laugh and say how rubbish it looks (despite playing really well).

But back on topic, love the filesize of this game, was expecting it to be much bigger, a lot of fun as well. Hope the later cars handle a bit better but still cant believe its free

5. dadiduekappa

dadiduekappa Well-Known Member

Yes, right. On iPhone it's ok, there is Documents & Data in iCloud options for Carmageddon.
    Tonight I verify on iPad, now I'm at work...
    But I really think it was a connection problem of my iPad at that point...
    Thanks

6. chkenwing

chkenwing Member

Jan 23, 2012
    ^^ Carmageddon has always been like this. You have to use your handbrake a lot and use it way in advance on the corner, plus who doesn't like to side swipe pedestrians? That's the fun part.

I think with this game, you shouldn't take the racing seriously. It's just mainly mindless running over pedestrians (plus for those of us who drive, it's a good way to relieve stress especially when you get a-hole pedestrians thinking they own the road when they're crossing) and playing bumper cars with the opponents.

I played this when I was 13-14 and loved it so I'm absolutely thrilled that it's come out on mobile devices!

It's a shame we can't edit the faces of the pedestrians, I'd love to put my bosses face on all the pedestrians.

7. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've never been able to wrap my head around the fact that American censorship worries about a nipple showing, but seems to have no problem with limbs being shot off..

8. Keitch83

Keitch83 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Brings back memories of when I had this on the PC years back!Now faithfully restored and portable.Oh and free!Glad I've got today off from work.

9. baddream

baddream New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!

10. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    Oh carmageddon... Love it, is the jumping arena with stunts and ramps in the first game? I think it was on later ones, I played way too much of that 8-9 years ago...it brings back old memories, I'd love all carmageddon games, I want to run over aliens while jumping huge ramps ;)

11. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Spent more than an hour killing peds (~320) in the first level and the last driver destroys himself. ****!

12. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    lol. been there done that.

i had to replay the first track because somehow my game didn't get saved.

anyway, excellent port.

13. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    I remember the controls being very loose in the original as well. I think it's just the way the game is. Anyway after playing for 30 minutes I must say its a good port. Everything feels like the original. No Si much my cup of tea but none the less its good. And for the entry price of $0 how can you pass it up

14. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    This is why I love the iOS devices so much. I've been a huge console gamer since the Atari 2600. I never got into PC games much, but having these classics rereleased is great because I can actually play some of these games now for the first time that I may have never played if it wasn't for the App Store. So far the game is pretty cool. Yea, it's not gonna be loved by everybody. The game is over 10yrs old, but for people that appreciate gaming and the roots of gaming, this is a "must have".

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Great post ! Same here, i love playing these old classics on a handheld device and for others to play some of these old classics.

16. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I have problems with iCloud too. Im on iPad3 and iPhone4 both iOS6. There is a file for the game in iCloud Documents and Data in both devices but i cannot synchronize the progress at all. And today i open it on iPad (in this device im playing it) and all the progress (20%) was lost!!!! All the save slots was empty... I restart the game 3-4 times and once my device and after all this tries the save file reappeared (fewww)... I think there is a bug with the iCloud syncing... Anyone else with this problem??

17. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    Can anyone elaborate why would an aged port like this require iOS 5.1? :(

18. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Just wanna bring something up regarding the controls...

I haven't yet had time to play this on my iphone, but on the PC, your goal wasn't really to come in first. Well, it was sorta. Besides smashing the pedestrians, IIRC, you pretty much wanted to bash your opponents into tiny pieces before crossing the finishing line. As such, fine tuned racing controls weren't much of a concern. Also, IIRC again, it was one of the first VoodooFX compatible games...so watching it was as big as playing it. Kinda like OG Castle Wolfenstein...no looking up, don't think you could even circle strafe...it was about killing Nazis; not taking a sniper shot from a mile away.

Anyway, the pileups rendered great racing controls pretty pointless. Aim, Smash, emergency brake. Make it across the line alive. This was also one of those games in which, if you wanted better control, you used a Steering Wheel, not the default controls.

19. Randomarcade

Randomarcade Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012

I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that the cars in the beginning, with no upgrades, suck, and therefore the handling sucks. It only gets better as you move up through the ranks and choose different cars.

I may be bias because i played the original, but this game rocks. The sounds and the amount of maps alone make it a great game, but as a port, its EXCELLENT ;)

Thank you for this game. I like it so much I might just buy it anyway to support the cause :D

20. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #80 boorch, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    I WANT TO CRY!
    my adolescent wet dreams came true. perfect port.

my only concern is there's no spinwheel button and the soundtrack is like 96kbps mp3s :/