Universal Castle Doombad (by Adult Swim & Grumpyface)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 8, 2014.

1. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    This game is a little rough around the edges, the code to 'hold' and 'place' traps is a little unpolished. It is worth the effort though. The game sorta gets too big for its own good, I felt like sticking to basic traps and minions rather than get too complicated - especially when you are constantly bombarded from unexpected places above your worked on floors. You pretty much have to frantically beef up your top floor at all times, and in the process ignore the bottom floors which is a shame. The grinding for upgrades feels fair, you can replay levels and it doesn't feel like you are.

2. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, there will be updates and more levels in the future.

3. GrumpyfaceChris

GrumpyfaceChris Well-Known Member

Hi Nyx,

What device and OS version are you on? Also, have you tried rebooting your device completely and seeing if that helps?

We are currently trying to fix all known issues so definitely let me know if there are any other details you can provide. Same with anyone in this thread: if you're having any problems, feel free to PM me. Thanks!

4. GrumpyfaceChris

Thanks very much for the love, guys :D Very motivating!

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I have played some games of you guys but this one is by far the best, keep up the good work and what EP said this comes on my end of the year list as well.

6. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Loved almost every adult swim game so far, but is one is just bleh. Slow, boring, and done better elsewhere. Cute tho.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks so much!

The master stages were fantastic. There were a couple that seemed a little too easy though after replaying a couple times, I found this was mainly because of the set-up that I was using/the most comfortable with that made it seem that way. I definitely thought that the rise in difficulty was very well done and by the time I reached the world 3 master stages they offered up the perfect challenge... just jumping into them without having played the rest of the game, I think most people would think that they were either the end of the game, or very near to the end of the game...

And now that all of my currency is going towards those blue gems, I've got more power-ups than I know what to do with. I can easily use each one on each night of the endless mode and not run out, so that'll definitely come in handy when trying to get the 50th night achievement.

I wholeheartedly agree with Psience. Even though it's early, Castle Doombad is where my GOTY list for 2014 starts. You guys have done an outstanding job with this, and when I get my next iTunes card, I'm definitely going to purchase the currency doubler.

8. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Wait this game is getting more content ?

9. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Oh shoot my Game Center is not working the leaderboards don't add up anymore and not only with this game but with several others, maybe someone is hacking me, sigh sigh.

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    AHHHH

I was playing Endless Mode, and I had selected a healing minion right as the stage ended. When the next stage started, my healing minion wasn't available, and I had one empty trap slot.

Is this a bug, or is it something that's supposed to happen to increase difficulty (one trap being randomly removed)?

11. GrumpyfaceChris

Definitely a bug I'm afraid (we aren't that cruel when it comes to increasing difficulty -- haha!) Thanks for reporting that, and sorry it happened to you! I've added it to our list and we should be able to get to the bottom of it

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #272 syntheticvoid, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Right on, thank you for that!

And WOOHOO!!!

I got all 20 achievements!!! I dunno why I thought it was the 50th night and not the 50th floor... But I just got it. =oD

Had to pause my game but I just hit night 10. Can't wait to get back to it in the morning... I'm gonna be dreaming of this game tonight... Hehe

Attached Files:

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    K... Just hit night 14, but the last 6 stages have just rotated between 2 layouts. I know it's supposed to be random, but will more layouts be added to the endless mode?

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I got to level 12 earlier today and it was a rotated layout from one in the previous 10.

How do you suspend you game in endless mode? I was afraid i'd lose progress so i just let them take the princess away for a game over so it would record 12 levels of progress. LOL

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I just paused it and left it as the only app in my multitasking bar overnight... But it records your night and floor as you progress, so if it crashes your current place should show up in GC

16. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I wanna buy this but got 2 questions, is aldult swim known to put there game on sale often? I'm ok with paying 2.99 now as long as there isn't sale in a week, also I hear the game is easy, now I'm not that great at tower defensive games but find them fun, will this game challenge me?

To give you a example, never could beat:

Field runners 2
    Kingdom rush

17. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    You must spend more time deciding whether to buy games than actually playing them.

I really like the difficulty level - it's not too easy, you do have to put thought into which traps to use and where to put them, but it's not too hard - you don't have to play the same level loads of times trying to find out the exact right combination of traps to use to beat it by trial and error.

18. Aerys

Aerys Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    decoy princess

I have problem using decoy princess. It is the third chapter, level 9. I have never used it before but here I can't protect my princess agains 1st vawe. However, I put my decoy princess on the upper side of the dungeon, the enemies come, take the princess and never return. Only 3 ninjas remained, I killed them and still nothing. I tried this a few timer and always the same story, enemies take decoy princess, they never return and leave me stuck.

19. shiios42

shiios42 Member

Oct 30, 2012
    #279 shiios42, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Great while it lasted

Warning: Extremely Long Post

Crowned all levels, maxed almost all the weapons, and now patiently waiting for updates. Here are more of my insights about this fantastic game:

I reached night 10 in endless, but the lack of a save feature caused me to quit the game. I know I can definitely reach higher, but pausing the game and removing everything in my multitask bar is too much a hassle. (Mindlessly surfing safari or opening facebook can lead to doombad automatically shutting down)

I'm glad I did not experience it during playthrough, (only at endless when I'm now just experimenting and making my own sandbox), but there was a nasty bug in where where you click all of your power ups (or cheats, in my opinion) in fast succession while there are plenty of enemies the game will lag and the next wave of enemies will no longer walk pass the door. The game engine becomes wonky and all the enemies either just stay in place or move back and forth between doors and ladders. It also occurs during the next nights unless you restart the game. I used this as an exploit to reach night 14 and I know I can reach limitless, but what is the fun in that? and just quit the game.

I consider that I already completed the game and it was really fun while it lasted and hope for big content updates in the future ( I made a lot of suggestions from the past pages of this forum) but I want to elaborate more:

Harder levels in the later stages:
    I like that you can accomplish levels with different strategies, but later and harder levels should be built with a strategy in mind. I crowned all levels without using manual traps and I think the game should encourage you to mix and match up on later levels in order to progress. (Thus my suggestion earlier on with enemies who only get affected by manual traps)

Portal minion: the only minion who you can control ( abruptly)

- allows you to move traps. The minion will eat the trap you clicked, opens up a portal and when you click again moves to that location and places the trap. One time use only like the bomb minion. This would add more depth and micromanagement to the game especially if you incorporate enemies coming from all sides including top and bottom coming for the princess. Of course the portal minion would cost screams but maybe not as much as trying to sell and rebuild the trap itself.

Also as an added bonus I found myself a trick if you would like to get gold coins fast to upgrade everything.
    in chapter 2 lvl 11 ( there are a lot of levels you can do this, but the idea is the same) ,trap one enemy with the trap door as shown in the picture and finish off the rest. This will prevent the next wave from respawning and you get all the time in the world to play slot machines. ( I found my coins and powerups piling up after filling the whole room with slots including the trapped guy's position and I have earned 2k in just about 5 min) in my opinion , playing the actual game is more fun. But this method can be a fun little trick if you want to unlock everything first before progressing, and what is not fun about slot machines?:D You can also farm power ups with this, which can be a life saver when you're after high scores on endless. Also make sure to end the stage once you're done racking up some coins.

Attached Files:

20. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Ok I just bought I love these kind of games.