Universal Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (by Disney)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Snozberry, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Loving this!!

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Me too. Two gems in (out of 7) and all I can say is that this is the most imaginative platformer I've played in a long time (and I'm including Super Mario 3D World on the 3DS). The controls are pretty much spot on, though it took me a little while to get used to not tapping the red button for jumping. The 3D portions are a bit more awkward, but I find that to be the case in every 3D platformer regardless of platform or controls (again, including SM3DW). The first boss fight was a cinch, but the second one ramped up the difficulty nicely.

For me, this is up there with Wimp and Crazy Hedgy.

3. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I spent a total of about 9 hours to start playing this game.
    Let me elloborate,
    I first paid this guy $5 who said he would gift a game up to $15 for $5, he replied within 4 hours and delivered the game.
    Which was excellent. So I got this game for $5!
    That process gives you a redeem code for the game, so I redeemed the codes me it kept saying "could not install" after about 30 minutes of trying to download the game, I went through that process several times.
    Finally I deleted the icon and started from scratch, I deleted a bunch of stuff, even though I had almost 8gigs spare, until I had 12 gigs spare.
    I then went to download the game from the AppStore and it said "(6.1 needed" and I was running 6.0 on this particular iPad.
    UGHHH
    So I started downloading the iOS 7 update,which I absolutely DESPISE and cannot get used to. And after downloading it, it wouldn't let me visit toucharcade. It kept saying "server not found".
    Then I finally downloaded mickey, by that time, it was 5am and I had to get up in two hours, so I didn't get to play it for long. I played about 2 minutes and went to sleep.

I finally got a chance to play an hour or so, and it doesn't feel as good, considering what I went through to get it.
    I spent yesterday like a zombie all day, actually felt weak as with no sleep, and no food (had no time to eat breakfast or pack lunch in the morning cause I slept in 30 minutes) I also now have to deal with crappy iOS 7 and limited data left for the rest of the month because I tried to download it about 10 times. I'm on a 20 gig limit, so I might even go over my limit and be charged thousands of dollars.

All for this effin game. Which I am not enjoying very much now because of all the drama I had to go through, and all the consequences.

I honestly think I would have enjoyed a direct port of the 2d original than this.
    So I really hope that will be coming soon enough.
    If they put it on sale next week for 99c I will be pretty P.O'd.
    I haven't left feedback in the AppStore yet because I don't feel right giving it 1 star, the game is probably good, it's just the circumstances surrounded it weren't, which are namely apples fault. Apple is the one who allowed me to try to install the game 10 times without notifying me that the game needed 6.1 to install, and that's really the route of all the problems here.
    As well as apple being at fault for the horrible iOS 7 which is so confusing and different to iOS 6. Seriously considering switching to android next device.
    I'm sick of it.

But there is a positive to every situation, atleast I discovered that guy who gives you up to $15 worth of a game, for $5, strongly recommend it for anyone who is iffy about spending $10 on this.

4. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    You my friend are a video game addict. Welcome to the club. I'm the president!

5. toby7ten

toby7ten Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Ha Ha cool story bro.

6. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    This game has become a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Yes, it is Mickey Mouse (hardly a hardcore gaming icon) and yes it is £6.99 (a fortune for us ios gamers.....) but I don't think I've enjoyed a platform game so much in a long time. It looks and works great on my 1st gen ipad mini and I've found it hugely entertaining and original so far. I think if this game had Mario / Sonic / Rayman in it as the main character it would be seen as a classic.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Nothing guilty about it for me ;). But I think you are right about the character issue. I remember the response in the gaming press being lukewarm to positive. I think the fact that it was Mickey may have has something to do with it. But also, it could have been the nostalgia issue -- a sentiment that has already surfaced on this thread. As someone who never played the original game, I can really appreciate the inventiveness on display here without feeling like they "messed" with my beloved classic.

8. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Why would you give the game a 2 star rating when you haven't actually played it?! This gets under my skin. If you want to play some of the higher end games then you're going to have to pony up but don't demean a game just because you don't own the hardware to run it. That's your own fault. Not the developers.

9. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Love this remake its very impressive and the controls seem to handle very well.Be good to see a remake of Quackshot starring Donald.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    PocketGamer UK's Gold review.

11. Clauter35

Clauter35 Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm sorry Paul but the game was advertising as an Ipad 2 and above game-release.
    That is the mistake they made. Not my mistake for not having the right device.
    They made corrections on the appstore. It's now a Ipad 3 and above game.
    From this moment everyone without the needed device won't reply because of their older hardware.

12. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Still, don't you think it would be more reasonable to just not rate the game instead of giving a game you haven't played a 2/5 - which actually serves to deter TA members who may be considering the game.
    They see the 2/5 and assume the game isn't good, crashes, or has serious issues with the controls.

I just think a more appropriate action would be to warn everyone on the thread not to purchase unless you have the iPd 3 or newer, and then request a refund from apple.

My ¢0.02

13. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I have an iphone 4. Can someone try to work it on this ? It says its compatible with 4s/5, but it doesn't clarify whether it's not compatible wih iphone 4 or not.

14. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Buy an iPhone 5s of you want to enjoy games, your device is good for calling and photos but too old for the last games.

15. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I don't have an iPhone 4 but since you asked nicely ill try to go pick one up tomorrow so I can test it for you.

16. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    How long was the gameplay?

I heard it's relatively short.

17. Clauter35

Clauter35 Member

Nov 3, 2012
    #77 Clauter35, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    You're absolutely right. The 2-star score was also because i was angry for not having the opportunity to play this game.
    So i raised my personal rating to four stars, the average score now.
    It's not possible to delete my earlier rating.
    Thanks for the feedback!

18. bastband

bastband Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    England
    Are any of the devs following this thread?
    I seem to have an issue of mickey completely disappearing within a small vertical band, just before the walking tree stumps on level one. Anyone else getting it?

Running on iPad Air

19. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    Haha I'm not I know not that fast but I was thinking maybe Christmas sale. :D

20. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    I finally got it and it plays great on iPod Touch 5th gen. :D:D:D

Have a Merry Christmas everyone! :):):)