Universal Cat Physics (by Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DonutGames, May 26, 2010.

1. jennybu

jennybu Member

Sep 9, 2012
    As Methusalix said:

"Ich habe nichts gegen Fremde, einige meiner besten Freunde sind Fremde, aber diese Fremden sind nicht von hier!" :)

On second thought this quote is better:
    "There are no strangers here; Only cat addicted friends you haven't yet met."

2. Pfadfinder

Pfadfinder Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    to the attention of Mr DG: Some ideas for CP 2 or new levels

1. new tiles such as

- black hole tile: similar to teleporter, sucks ball in if to near, influences ballistic trajectory by gravity

- tile surrounded by repelling field influences the trajectory (like two magnets with same pole repelling each other)

- pin ball flipper (may be triggered by touching it)

2. wiimote support

3. save states (not only best)

4. level editor (like in lode runner for c64) + community may exchange level over internet

3. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    #11043 Pfadfinder, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    Introduction in Cat Physics Astronomy (Parody with some clues)

Cat Physics Astronomy

I. Introduction

We do not know much about the world surrounding the visible playfield of cat physics.

“We” in this sense means the souls who play cat physics as customers of the Creators of this fine physic puzzler. Copyright pirates may play this game too. However, they know even less. Therefore they will be ignored further on.

In contrast the creators of cat physics namely Donut Games, an independent video game developer based in Malmö, Sweden, apparently not incorporated under Swedish Law and its employees know everything. Ola Zandelin is to be honorably mentioned. Understandably they do not disclose any trade secrets.

Therefore I will start in the following to outline the few we know or assume.
    For the purpose of this paper I will call the world surrounding the visible playfield outer space.

Apparently this is the first systematic work about the outer space of Cat Physics. Therefore I allow myself to establish herewith Cat Physics Astronomy as a science.

II. Methodology

The outer space may not be observed directly by us. There are no telescopes, radio telescopes or satellites which shed light on the conditions of the outer space. But we may conduct experiments in the outer space which induce results we may observe. In such experiments the ball has to leave the visible playfield. Therefore we may gather indirectly data which allow us to make assumptions about the conditions of the outer space. Furthermore we may observe the border between the visible playfield and the outer space which provides some scientific findings.

III. Existence

The existence of the outer space is not self-evident. One can imagine a world that ends at the border of the visible. If you only observe the visible playfield the existence of the outer space is not predictable.

There are levels of Cat Physics which do not allow to collect any data of the outer space. This is due to the fact that in those levels you may not conduct experiments related to outer space.

Some levels are closed like a cave without exit or entrance (E.g.: 2, 62, 58, 56, 55 and many more). The playfield is framed with rocks so that the ball may not leave the visible playfield.

Other Level are open but you do not have the means to conduct experiments. Level 1 is open to the left, right and top. But there are no objects to let the ball leave the visible playfield. Level 5 is also open to the outer space and there is an object to conduct an experiment namely one arrow (1 clock). However, wherever you may place the arrow you will not reach the outer space. There may be more levels of this type (E.g. 13). That will not be pursued here and remains reserved for a systematic classification.

The first level proving the existence of the outer space is surprisingly already level 4. If you place the arrow (11 clock) in the path between the white cat and the button the arrow will deflect the ball in a curve trajectory. The trajectory leads the ball into outer space. After some time the ball returns from outer space back on the visible playfield. The ball is not reflected at the border of the visible playfield but continues to travel on its parabolic flight in outer space. QED: Outer space exists.

Even though I noticed that right in the beginning of my career as CP player I did not realize the significance of this condition. Even worse I forgot the existence later. That has narrowed my view unnecessarily in later levels where the outer space plays a significant role.

IV. Where is outer space?

Thesis: The outer space is surrounding the visible playfield of every level.

That means that even those levels which are not open are surrounded by outer space. This statement can’t be falsified or proven easily. It is still scientific. Because with high expenditure of time and the necessary knowledge one could analyze the program code by reverse engineering and check it. I do not have the knowledge nor the time to do that. However, I assume that the code of the physic engine constituting the world of CP including outer space does treat every level equal as a matter of code simplicity. Well, that is an argument like ockham's razor only but for the time being that should be sufficient.

Excursus: There is no hell in the world of Cat Physics. The creators of CP are nice guys. They do not tend to divide the world in good and evil. Therefore outer space is not only above the visible playfield but also below. The same is applicable to the right and to the left correspondingly.

V. Dimensions

The visible playfield constitute a two-dimensional world. Nothing suggests that the conditions in the universe are different.

VI. Extension

1. Thesis: The outer space of CP does not expand. CP has a stable universe.

There are wormholes in CP (aka teleporters) but nothing unpleasant as an expanding or shrinking universe.

2. Thesis: The outer space is not endless except above the visible playfield.

The outer space of CP has certain limits at the right, at the left and below the visible playfield. Nobody knows what behind those limits slumbers. Maybe it is something like a black hole swallowing everything which passes its horizon without a trace, maybe a teleporter which teleports the ball back into the tail of the start cat or even nothing. However, one can show that outer space is not endless (at least left, right, down).

Examples:

In level 6: Let the ball run down the ramp. It will leave the visible playground to the left and not reappear. Nor does the ball continue to travel endlessly. After a short while the level restarts. The same may be noted if the ball is send through the teleporter without further measure. In this case the ball takes a path leaving the visible playfield at the bottom.

In level 7 you need no object to let the ball disappear in outer space. Just throw the ball from the tail of the black cat and it will leave the visible playfield at the bottom.

In level 8 you may send the ball with the help of both arrows over the shredder and the top black cat in a huge curve so that the ball leaves the ball at the right site. Again in this case the level restarts after a short while.
    So it is shown that there are limits left, right and down.

Is outer space limited also above the visible playfield? That may not be answered yet. At least we may not reach the limit (in case of existence) with the tools provided to us by the Creators. That can be shown in level 80. Level 80 is open at top. One may launch the ball like a rocket with 3 stages with the 3 arrows pointing up (11, 12, 1 clock). You may place the last arrow right at the border of the visible playfield. But the ball will still return to the visible playfield no matter how high you launch it.

Therefore one may conclude that outer space is not limited above or the limit is not reachable. There might be a limit defined by the type of the variable used to store the y coordinate. However, for practical reasons we may assume that there is no limit.

3. Size of outer space

a. Left and down

I have not found any precise way to estimate the size of outer space to the left and down.

However, I managed to make a screenshots of balls leaving the playfield left and down and completely having left the playfield before the level restarts. Furthermore one can note that the level restarts only after a short time after the ball left the visible.

Therefore one may say for sure that the depth of outer space to the left and down is at least equal to the diameter of the ball. The depth could be measured more precise by knowing the velocity of the ball and the time difference between the time when the balls just has left the visible area and the time when the level restarts. However uncertainties would remain because we would not know how many time the program would need to reinitialize the level internally.

b. Right

In level 27 the ball leaves to the right and travels some distance completely invisible in outer space on the right. Therefore the outer space to the right has at least the same depth like left and down. If my assumption under VIII. is true than at least an additional pixel would be required.

c. Up

Level 5:
    Between the point where the ball leaves the playfield and the point of reentrance is a range of approx. 30 pixels wide. Given the fact that the trajectory is parabolic one may estimate that the parabola has its maximum approx. 11 pixels above the border of the visible playfield. (Note: The data relating to pixel refers to a screen with a resolution of 480x320) dots. Therefore you may conclude that the outer space above the visible playfield is at least 11 pixels long.

Level 80:
    In Level 80 you may place the 12 clock arrow right on the border of the visible area and accelerate the ball again at that location. The 12 clock arrow launches the ball approx. 200 pixels high from the bottom. Therefore one can assume that it launches the ball also at least 200 pixels into outer space from the border of the visible area.
    As the ball returns one can reasonably assume that the outer space above the visible area is at least 200 pixels deep.

4. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    Introduction in Cat Physics Astronomy (Parody with some clues) Part 2

VII. Physical laws

The physical laws of CP seem to be the same in outer space as on the visible playfield.

VIII. Objects

Are there objects in outer space?

In level 61 you may notice an object which is for the most part in outer space, namely a teleporter. It is not invisible but may be overlooked easily.

In level 29 a one way wall stretches obviously into outer space. However I have the impression, that there is something else in outer space (maybe a rock), a little right from the one way wall, completely invisible which reflects the ball to the right under certain circumstances. Maybe that object (in case of existence) plays also a role for the top score of that level.

In level 27 I strongly assume that there is something we do not see in outer space. Otherwise the path in outer space would be difficult to understand.

IX. Significance

You may ask why the observations outlined above are of any significance. Well, there are some levels where the usage of those observations provide interesting solutions. Interesting in this context means “nice to look at” and sometimes even required for known top score.

Classes

Nice alternative solution: 32, (57?), 61

Required for top solution: 27, 29, 36, 61

You will note that level 61 plays a somehow special role. In level 61 you have to leave the visible playfield for the “normal” solution and for the hidden solution. So level 61 should be the one which makes you sensible for the significance of outer space even if you missed it in prior levels. Maybe that is also the explanation why the creators of CP did not use that hidden motive in later levels. Apparently the Creators lost interest in the Easter egg after they deliberately disclosed it in level 61. I honor the humor of the Creators they showed by hiding an Easter egg while disclosing another one in this level.

X. Role of the Creators

CP is notorious for its glitches. Sometimes one does not know whether the glitch is a bug or a feature. In the case of the concept of outer space we can be sure that the Creators implemented it with intent. We may assume that the Creators originally thought that the alternative route via outer space would also provide the top score in level 32.

XI. Open questions

- Will we see further levels where the outer space plays a significant role?

- Are there hidden objects not already discovered?

5. Groucho

Groucho Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Click Click aargh

I am frustrated with level 92. Sometimes the ball rolls back, sometimes it deflects from the trapdoor up in the left corner, sometimes it reaches the last arrow in the wrong moment. This is to much. I am exhausted.

S:(

6. ogster

ogster Well-Known Member

what do you think, papp?
    cat got everyone's tongue.

7. Cowboy.Henk

Cowboy.Henk Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    Pfadfinder, nice work

8. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Oct 20, 2012
  9. Mrs Eyrezy

Mrs Eyrezy Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    UK, Cheshire
    Oggy Oggy Oggy! I'm speechless, for a change :D

10. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    #11050 Pfadfinder, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Further object in outer space of level 86?

sorry double

11. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    #11051 Pfadfinder, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Further object in outer space of level 86?

Thank you Henk!

There is probably someting up in outer space in level 86.
    Watch this clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL8UfNbNi6A

The ball is going up left and all of the sudden drops down on the rock to the right. You will notice only the dust of the ball when it touches the top of the rock.

The only explanation I have is that there is an object up there which directs the ball back to the right.

Maybe the object can also be used to direct the ball down left to the white cat.

My best is 556. Cy@n was so kind to publish several paths. I assume that the path using the gap between the top rock and one way is best. However, my arrows are misplaced so that the trajectory is to high. While pushing the arrows around I noticed the path I published on youtube.

12. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    Hi professor pathfinder,

I see what you mean. There must be an invisible object. My best is 588 and stays entirely in inner space...

13. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    #11053 Pfadfinder, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    Too much honor. I am merely a humble hobbyist.

Well than is the object most probably not useful to increase the max.

Unless .... the object is near the horizon and your path is a wide curve that could become more an acute angle by hitting the object in the right angle.:)

Edit
    However, I looked again on the 577 of Cy@n. The trajectory behind one way is alreday short. Your 588 will be even shorter. Therfore I doubt that the object is useful.

14. ogster

ogster Well-Known Member

you and me both. had an opinion reading early on but lost the thought. was a good read, to be honest. was a little distracted thinking pfad should have been on board long ways ago.

15. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    Yep! Unless you could find a hidden teleporter somewhere...

16. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Now you may have a look at 580, too ;)
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/album.php?albumid=1176&pictureid=8221
    But i still miss 8 points ...

Btw: Thx for your Level18-"research". I have found the missing 5 points (645->650) because of you ;)

17. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    Thank you. Troublesome the squirell feeds itself.;-)

Your pics are also inspiring

18. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    #11058 Pfadfinder, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    Counting system

Does anyone have an idea how the counting system works?

I only figured out/assume:

- it counts back
    - it starts with 1000
    - it stops when the tail of target is reached
    - not time is counted but length of path
    - dotted line represents path travelled
    - line does not show any tiny move but smoothens the graphical representation of path
    - decisive is actual path not line representing path
    - teleported way does not count
    - center of ball is decisive
    - rotation of ball does not matter
    - end position in closed tail is decisive not the point where ball touches tail first

Wiz mentioned lately that sometimes a longer path (line???) brings more points. I assume that this an illusion because of the smoothing effect of the graphical representation of the actual path. however that assumption needs further observation.

I wonder how the length of the path is
    measured. I doubt that the physic engine includes differential calculus methods. Could it be that every Pixel crossed by the center of the ball deducts 1 point from 1000? If this is true than 248 should be between the starting and end position of the center of the ball in level 1. Has anyone counted already?

19. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    Hi pfad, in lvl 10 I have had paths that are clearly shorter than the max with a lower score. I agree that distance is likely not computed according to Euclidean metrics.

20. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    Do you have screenshots for further analysis?