Universal Cat Physics (by Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DonutGames, May 26, 2010.

1. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Am I wrong? :rolleyes:

2. Cowboy.Henk

Cowboy.Henk Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    No offcourse not. We take great pride in our awesome trading talents.

3. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    So, what's your problem then, Cowboy? :cool:

4. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    No problem at all, just happy to know you find us awesome!

5. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
  6. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
  7. Pfadfinder

Pfadfinder Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    calm down dudes you are all awesome

ya know, no one slipped over the line a little, big deal. It's just a game, man. a league game, though.

8. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    #11108 Pfadfinder, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    Ultimate Cat Physics Reference

under construction

arrows

balls

backgrounds

bounce thing

bumpers

buttons Remarks on Buttons

cats

catapult

counting system

Donut Games

dudes

flippers

fun stats

high scores

levels

one way

rock

seesaws

snakes

trap doors

trivia DRN006

walls

winmills

windows

9. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    #11109 Pfadfinder, Nov 11, 2012
    Trivia

DRN006

You may have wondered what the hell the title DRN006 is supposed to mean. This title does not fit into the naming pattern of the other levels.

Well, I tell you no secret that DG had not jjfoodservice in mind where you can order guave drinks under article number drn006.

It is a well known fact that the DG gods started their career as gamers in the 80's of the last century. They grew up with NES, C64, Amiga etc. Back then kids were heavy Mega Man gamers. Bomb Man is one of six robots appearing in Mega Man designed by robotics expert Dr. Thomas Light. His primary objective was overseeing demolition in various projects. It is obvious that the green bounce balls reminded the level designer to bombs and together with the demolition of the window somehow to one of his favorite game characters of his youth: Bomb Man. So he chose DRN006 as title for that level. Oh yes, I nearly forgot to mention that DRN-006 was the article number of Bomb Man as well.

10. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    #11110 Pfadfinder, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    Some remarks on buttons (revision 2)

I received numerous corrections and suggestions regarding the article published here. Because there are major corrections I post the revised version again and do not edit the old version.

Buttons, their function and malfunction are well known to the community.

Nonetheless I would like to pay some attention to these tiles.

Statistical words and figures

Until now Donut Games used 27 buttons in 18 levels. Consequently 18 % of all levels comprise buttons. Buttons are placed at ground at ceiling and on walls to the left and right. Buttons are not only oriented on 0, 90, 180 and 270 degree. Some are inclined differently.

In all levels which comprise buttons you will find another tile namely at least one trap door. Therefore buttons and trap doors come as a package.

A statistical overview you will find here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UdsY0UyWHgwY1E
    Function

Use butons in order to open trap doors. Every trap door is linked to exactly one button. Some buttons are not linked to a trap door - you may call such button dummy button.

Malfunction

a. In some levels you may pass trap doors without opening them prior to that. We call that malfunction trap door break through glitch.
    In some levels this technique is required to reach known top score.

b. In some levels you may open a trap door, relaunch and let the trap door remain open. In most levels comprising buttons you have to use this technique in order to reach the known top score. You may call that glitch trap door relaunch glitch.

In few levels you have to combine a. and b. in order to reach the known top score. You may guess how many trap doors such levels have.

There are some (or only one) levels with buttons where both a and b are not needed to reach the known top score.

New finding

Mike speculated here
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...postcount=9321 that "Donut Games tried to fix the trapdoor glitch starting with level 78, but didn't quite succeed. The only thing they did was make it harder to do."

It is true that the trap door glitch (b) in level 78 may only be used under aggravated circumstances. The number of tries you need in average is considerably higher in level 78 compared to all prior levels. However, in all levels after level 78 it is easy again to use the trap door glitch. In other words it is only difficult to use the trap door glitch in level 78.

You may ask what is the reason for that abnormal behavior of level 78. The answer I would like to suggest is the following. I doubt that Donut Games wanted to fix the glitch.

I do not uphold the proposition anymore that DG just used a new type of button in that level. On closer look you will notice a difference but not all the differences I wrongly described in the first version of this article.

Buttons are introduced in level 4. The button is red. The base of a button type is black and some pixel thick. You will notice an elastic sping in the base.
    [​IMG]

The base of the button shown in level 78 is also black and not green as I thought. On closer look that optical illusion disappeared. Credit for that observation goes to Jenny.
    [​IMG]

In all other level the buttons are attached to black rock material. Only in level 78 the button is attached to a different material, namely a green rubberish material. I therefore had the wrong impression that the base of button in level 78 is also greenish.

Then I thought that the base of said button is less thick than other buttons and that it is a new type of button. I now believe that this is not true. There is only one type of button.

You do not see a spring in button of level 78. But that does not justify to speak of a new type of button. What happened is the following: DG embedded the button in level 78 deeper in the surrounding material than in other level. There are other level where the button is not as clearly elevated as in level 4 (Credit goes again to Jenny for that observation). Take a look on level 92:
    [​IMG]

Here again the buttons seem to be pushed into the surrounding material.

But look again on the picture and concentrate. If you focus you may see still the black springs. They seem to be slightly more black than the black rock.

So even this level where the buttons are equally deep embedded as in level 78 differs at sight from level 78. You may zoom into the screenshot of level 78 as long as you want. You will never see the slightest trace of the spring.

Therefore I may uphold my proposition, that the clearance of the button in level 78 is smaller than in any other level. I assume that the smaller clearance gives you less time to find the right moment to relaunch.

I might be even able to explain the odd behavior of the button in level 78 not only by demonstrating that the button looks different in level 78 but by suggesting the following.

Buttons are not really embedded in the surrounding material. Buttons and surrounding material constitute more likely different layers of the picture. In level 92 the button layer has higher priority than the surrounding rock. Therefore you can still see the spring. In level 78 in contrast the button layer has lower priority than the layer of the green rubber thing. In other words the green thing really hides much of the base and the spring completely. Therefore the clearance in level 78 is really smaller and in level 92 it only looks like that the clearence is smaller. The result is: In level 92 it is still easy to glitch while in level 78 it is difficult. So my theory is consistent again.

Well, that finding may be new. Maybe it is not even that. Maybe I am completely wrong. But what is most disappointing is that this finding does not lead to any new point. (I may be refuted in this respect by wiz.)

However, I hope that the reading of the above was entertaining at least.

11. jennybu

jennybu Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Thanks for citing me. But I still disagree. The leeway argument is not conclusive. The idea of mike is more convincing.

12. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    #11112 Cowboy.Henk, Nov 11, 2012
    Good spot Jenny. The buttons are identical.

Anyway, it might well be that the rubber material interferes with the behavior of the button.

13. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    #11113 Pfadfinder, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    Exactly. You put it clipped and precise.

First have a look on level 4. The ball nicely dives into the base of the button and get thrown out again by the button. The button gets pressed by the ball to the bottom of the base where it stops and then pushed up by the spring again.
    [​IMG]

In comparisson take a look on level 78. The button interferes with the rubber material. :) It gets stopped by the rubber before it reaches the bottom of the base.

[​IMG]

On its way up you may even see on frame 11 one pixel of the spring which pushes the button up.
    It is clearly visible that the clearance/leway is smaller in level 78 than in level 4.

And finally level 92 in order to test the theory: The ball does hit the bottom of the base. (It looks like the ball gets pressed into the rock.)

[​IMG]

No contradiction. Therefore the button in level 78 plays a special role, although it is not a second type of button.

14. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    Wow pfad, nice videos! Very convincing stuff...

15. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Cool slomo. How did you do that?

16. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein

All you need is a Sony PMW-F55 professional camcorder with high speed shutter technology, a gifted art director, italian catering, Tom Hanks as charity partner and a cluster of 20 pcs for post production.

17. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    In that case, the result is quite disappointing... Say hi to Tom!

18. Pfadfinder

Sep 22, 2012
    Lichtenstein
    :) I did not expect to win the animation oscar.

Did that. He asked me to tell you that he lost your business card and therefore could not contact you in order to reshedule your meeting in Davos.

19. wizman60

wizman60 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Male
    Hong Kong
    #11120 wizman60, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
    AGAIN!
    One more point.......
    I'm sure that Nichos and its "Squirrel physics" was a good motivation!
    It´s level 82 574
    Good luck everybody,
    Nothing new here, just playing with the old 573'path...
    575 soon?
    It seems possible looking at 574'path!