Cave anniversary sale April 06 - April 14 2013

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by kia001, Apr 1, 2013.

1. kia001

kia001 Active Member

Mar 9, 2013
    You've got to treat yourself from time to time. :)

Actually with the sale discount in place it all comes to about 2/3 of a cost of one ps3 game, while giving you a game time of weeks and weeks if you're into such games.

2. kia001

kia001 Active Member

Mar 9, 2013
    It was actually a first game of the bunch I started playing.
    If you can get over the weird artistic direction it's actually very good. There are tons of levels (well not by backgrounds, but by enemy sets and patterns) and a lot of bosses. It also supports the new wide iPhone 5 screens if that matters to you.

Perhaps my favorite feature is that they've streamlined a gameplay in some aspects - you only have one firing mode, however each of the ships has different firing modes making them unique, and not just having a slightly different spread, for example there's a ship from Ketsui which has 4 uav's which normally give you a wide spread, but can be locked on one enemy for massive damage.
    As a result all ships feel different and require different strategies.

You also can only hold only one bomb at a time, however the bomb regenerates as you kill enemies meaning you're forced to think strategically - use it on a bunch of enemies to get a bunch of points and boost your combo counter or keep it as an insurance against hardcore bosses.

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Keep in mind DDPM supports only iPhone 5. iPod touch 5 is not supported.

4. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Couldn't resist bought the original Bug Princess, Espgaluda II HD and DDPM :)

5. phrantik13

phrantik13 Active Member

Feb 14, 2011
    hmm...should i get bug princess 2 or bug princess 2 black label? anybody got opinions?

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    If you're only getting one, skip straight to Black Label.

7. phrantik13

phrantik13 Active Member

Feb 14, 2011
    cool and thanks. Is there any benifit to having both?

8. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I think black label is bug princess 2 with more stuff. So you're getting better bang for buck.

9. If you're a big fan, maybe. The bullet patterns and gameplay are a little different, probably better off buying something else if you got black label already.

10. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #50 tops2, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    You'll be supporting Cave! ;)

Lol..kidding a side... If you're a casual shmup/bullet hell player where all the Cave games feels pretty much the same..then I'd say the Black Label is the one you should pick up between both of the Bug Princess 2.

If you're hardcore enough to figure out the scoring differences, then feel free to pick both up.

As far as I know, there's some game play and scoring changes, but no new modes or anything as far as I know. I actually don't have the Black Label, and am a casual bullet hell guy...to me, all the vertical Cave games I own honestly feels pretty much the same...just different themes! =P

11. taskerMX

taskerMX Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    #51 taskerMX, Apr 7, 2013
    If you enjoy the Cave games, maybe you should give a try on this games:

Sunny Tam: Danmaku, Danmaku 2 and Storm Strikers. All of them have a Lite version, and right now Danmaku 2 is on sale ($4.99 > $1.99)

https://itunes.apple.com/mx/app/danmaku-unlimited-2-bullet/id580663396?mt=8

John Dunbar: Plasma-Sky. Actually this one is on sale too ($1.99 > $0.99)

https://itunes.apple.com/mx/app/plasma-sky/id575310539?mt=8

Sunny Tam and John Dunbar, those guys are awesome!, them make the games by themselves respectively.

12. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I grabbed BP Black Label; are the other HD and upgraded ones worth getting for the money? I love Cave shooters, but if they're relatively minor upgrades, I dunno if they're worth dropping another $30+ on. Any input? :)

13. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    #53 Waks, Apr 7, 2013
    Does the BP2BL support iPhone 5's screen? And what is its original price? Im seeing it as 6.99 right now. Its the only cave game that I dont have.

Edit: It was updated last July 2012. I suppose it still doesnt support 5's screen. :(

14. Kinda confused by your question. Bp2 doesn't have an hd version, I would recommend in this order...

Bp2bl
    Deathsmiles
    Dodonpachi resurrection hd
    Dodonpachi maximum
    Esp 2 hd
    Bp1

15. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    "are the other HD and upgraded ones" was meant to include BP2:BL and the other newer Cave releases, including DDP Maximum and the HD releases of DDP and ESP; I was in a hurry when typing. I have all the first wave games including Deathsmiles, BP1, DDP and ESP 2, and was wondering if the updated (and presumably improved) editions that have come out since were worth spending on if I had the originals. Thanks for your list, and I appreciate any input. :)

16. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Originally $13.99. First time on sale and only one I don't have either. =/

17. #57 Connector, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    The hd versions of the games have better graphical assets, but some run poorly on older devices, like dodonpachi resurrection hd runs kinda poorly on my iphone 4. They all have lite versions, so you can try to see if the graphics make a big difference for you, on my new ipad, I like the hd versions better, but some games like deathsmiles and blissful death, don't have hd versions, so I play them on hdmi tv which they play great using stretch modes.

I would recommend for you to get dodonpachi maximum cause it was made more for a touch than an ipad. In fact, this is one game where I feel it plays better on my iphone 4 rather than my new ipad. It also has a totally different feel to it cause of the different style of graphics and the controls are different a little.

I wasn't going to buy black label, cause I have bug princess 2, but heck, I will buy it and see if it is worth upgrading to if you already have bp2 for everyone since it seems to be a common question here. But if one doesn't own bp2, I would figure it would be worth the extra $2 to get the black label version.

I will post in a little while what I think between bp2 and black label and whether I feel it is worth to have both.

If bug panic is $1 in this sale, it is quite good too, not a shmup, but a great game on an itouch or iphone. Not as much on an ipad cause it is 2x too.

If you got any other questions, please ask, cause after buying black label now, I will have all the cave games.

Attached Files:

18. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    Is it possible for you to check if BP2BL supports iPhone 5's screen? :) Its description doesn't indicate it, sadly.

And thanks, Cygnet. I just need to know now if the screen is supported,

19. kia001

kia001 Active Member

Mar 9, 2013
    No, I've just checked and it runs letterboxed.
    As far as I know the only cave game that supports iPhone 5's screen is ddp max.

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #60 currymutton, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    Opinion: It is hard to go to other bullet hell games after play much Cave products. Frankly, I have tried the title mentioned above but they are ditched soon.

Recommendation: Bug Panic is a very nice twin-stick shooter, it is a bit old, which is much more fun than many I have tried so far.

Thoughts: I think Death Smile really need the HD treatment, and iCade support for all Cave titles should come after next.

Suggestions: should I ask Cave to raise a Kickstarter and ports all Deathsmiles to iOS with universal support?