iPad CHAOS RINGS - (by SQUARE ENIX) [v1.1]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 18, 2011.

1. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Me :)

I just bought it finally because of the voice acting.

2. BlindingLights

BlindingLights Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Ugh 980MB seriously. I'm not sure if I want to download the update yet.

3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Gentleman Adventurer.
    Lancaster, UK
    I must admit, I'd been waiting for the voice acting to be added before I did a New Game+ playthrough.

Didn't realise Chaos Rings was getting it too, though!

Think I'll do Chaos Rings Omega's story mode, all of Chaos Rings' scenarios, then Chaos Rings Omega's extra mode. Should keep me busy for a few days while I recover from a hernia operation... :)

4. relsircspotcat

relsircspotcat Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Apps Developer
    wow, love the voice acting. It really gives the game and story more life. Replaying it again :D

5. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Bought this yesterday and loving it.

6. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Hey I bought it yesterday as well! I really resisted getting this for a while as I was concerned it would be so much like the original Chaos Rings that I wouldn't enjoy it, but I did really like Chaos Rings (just didn't like how easy it was). I also wanted to wait for the language addition before playing through it anyway so figured I would just wait for a good sale.

After reading about the supposedly great storyline, the slightly upgraded graphics, and that the difficulty is actually more difficult than CR I decided to just go ahead and grab it while on sale yesterday (couldn't hold out any longer).

Since it has been a while since I played CR I am just amazed (again) at how astounding the soundtrack really is and they added some new music as well to CR:Omega.

Yes its practically identical to CR from a gameplay perspective but I'm still enjoying it regardless...

7. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    Wanted to add that the voices are fantastic and its nice that the characters make comments and sounds in combat as well. I don't understand Japanese but it still adds something extra.

I do have two complaints however - one is that sometimes I don't hear any voices for some conversations. Don't know if that was intentional and not all conversations have voice support or if there is a bug.

Also, although I for one am happy for the voice support I can certainly understand the outcry at the increased file size due to the addition and don't understand why SQ decided to not make the voices optional.

Couldn't they have just added it as a free IAP purchase? Actually, now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised they didn't add it as a purchasable IAP expansion for a dollar or two. I do loves me some SquareEnix RPGs but they tend to charge a premium for their oh-so-irresistible wares... Just (pleasantly) surprised they added the voices for free.

8. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Help! I'm stuck battling Cyllis at the Colgom Plant. She hits me with damage right awy, I go in the red so cant heal, and am toast by the 3rd turn. I found a walkthrough but the descriptions of her attacks are not correct. Perhaps she was changed in an update?

I'm level 36. Any help appreciated.

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    This may not be much help, but I just defeated Cyllis yesterday. The only thing that struck me about your post was your level. I was much higher leveled when I faced that battle. I believe that Olgar was level 51 and Vahti was in the 40's. That being said, without spoilers, I faced another battle and was destroyed. I'm now at 90% completion in the scenarios and it looks like I'm going to need to level up some more before I can finish the main story.

10. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    How did you level up so high? I've grinded a bit to add levels and getting to level 50 or so would take a while (but be good fun).

Also, what determines my 'natural' element? The weapon I carry? Armor? Being Gale reduces damage against Cyllis, but I spend a turn casting on myself to be Gale.

11. Graymalkin

Jul 4, 2011
    Gentleman Adventurer.
    Lancaster, UK
    Billikens (combined with Paradise Apples) are your friends.

If you cast a Gale spell against Cyllis you'll take on the element and do damage.

12. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I already have the original Chaos Rings. Should I get Omega or Final Fantasy III?

13. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    That's a tough call. I guess if I had to answer it would be basically if you love the old Final Fantasy games but never played FF3 on the DS then you may enjoy FF3. Its the "bigger" game than CR:Omega (or really even CR itself). But it still has all the "trappings" of the real old FF games for good and for bad.

If you really *really* loved Chaos Rings and played it all the way through all four couples to the "real" ending and you want to experience more of the same battles and more story then you may want CR:Omega.

I guess it really boils down to how much you love CR or not - if you played CR through the first "couple" only and got bored of the gameplay then I can't really recommend CR:Omega.

What are you interested in FF3 for? And, if I could ask, have you thought about Final Fantasy Tactics? Its very different from FF3 or CR but it is great. I just thought I'd ask.

Personally, although its quite a bit of money, I have them all... :)

14. Shankopotamus

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks for the thoughtful response. I actually haven't finished the first CR, but I was thinking I would pick up Omega while it's on sale. I like it enough to pay the price for Omega, but I hear that it's no different.

I am interested in FFIII actually because of Chaos Rings. When looking through the appstore, I saw that Squeenix had more RPGs, so I thought I'd check them out. I have never even played a FF game in my life. I read a bit about it and it looks like FFIII is a bit deeper (lots of classes to choose from and more characters in the party). I haven't really ever heard someone compare them, so I asked the question to get opinions. I do have Final Fantasy Tactics, and love it.

By the way, I usually don't go into this much thought into buying a game, but the games I am speaking of are very expensive, so I want to make sure I get what I want out of my money.

15. Graymalkin

Jul 4, 2011
    Gentleman Adventurer.
    Lancaster, UK
    Personally I'd go for Final Fantasy III if you already have Chaos Rings but have never played a Final Fantasy game - there's a lot more game in there, and it's a different style of RPG to the one you already have.

In an ideal world, of course, get both - but I appreciate the outlay this involves. In terms of what you get for your cash, though, both games deliver (if you're a completist you'd probably get 30 hrs from Chaos Rings Omega and 80 from Final Fantasy III - if you're not so bothered about getting everything and max-levelling, maybe 10 and 30 hours respectively?).

Maybe a compromise might be to get Chaos Rings Omega and also the original Final Fantasy - it's a great, albeit dated, game (another 30 hours for you there) and half the price of the third in the series? If you like a Final Fantasy game you're gonna end up getting them all, anyway... :)

16. Shankopotamus

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your opinions. It sounds like I should get Omega if I liked the original a lot but with a different story, and get FFIII for something new, with more content. I've decided that I'll get Omega while it's on sale, because I don't think that there will be a better time. Also, I'm a pretty bad app hoarder/collector, so it will be nice to have both Chaos Rings, and all three when Chaos Rings II comes out. I'm also trying to decide if I want to make it an expensive day and just buy FFIII also. I know it's a ton of money (appstore-wise), but I feel like it's a game with enough quality to be worth it. It will also give me a ton of Sqeenix RPG play time, so I'll have plenty to do haha. Anyways, thanks!

17. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    For the record, I've never played omega and ff3 was the first final fantasy I ever played. From what I've heard, omega is the same as the original chaos rings, which isn't a bad thing. But personally, I think that the final fantasy games are just on a different level. Which isnt to say that I fault your decision. Its just that once you play final fantasy 3, you have a strange longing to play the rest of the series. Both are great games, but theres still a ton more you could do with the orignal chaos rings that's still left, and omega is just a continuation of that(I loved the first chaos rings, but I got kinda bored after the second pair). Just my $0.02

18. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    I just got Chaos Rings: Omega the other day and I'm genuinely surprised at how much fun I'm having with it - it has surpassed my expectations. Now, please realize that my initial expectations were "same thing as Chaos Rings but with a few changes and a new story" and overall, it is still Chaos Rings. However, the story has drawn me in quite a bit more than Chaos Rings ever did which is where a good modern RPG's strength should be anyway in my opinion.

Chaos Rings Omega should definitely be played after the first Chaos Rings to get the full impact of the additional story content but Media Vision/SquareEnix did a good job with it. Sure - you fight mostly the same monsters and its the same genes, and the same combat engine and mechanics, etc. There are some new monsters to fight and new gene plates to get BUT the story and characterization is SO much better and deeper than in Chaos Rings Omega. There are several twists and turns in the story that even though it recycles a lot of the same material from Chaos Rings, it still manages to feel "fresh" and "new" as a game.

Hard to describe but so far it is an enjoyable experience. I can't provide any spoilers here but in my current playthrough the story has taken such a turn midway through that I have no clue where it is leading to next and I'm finding it hard to resist continuing through CR:Omega even though I'm still in the middle of FFT:WotL. And I was only picking up CR:Omega while it was on sale and planned to not really get into it later. I understand know that I probably won't be doing much in FFT until I get through the main story with CR:Omega. ;)

19. BlindingLights

BlindingLights Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    I've been holding off on Omega because I've heard people say things about it being really similar to the first Chaos Rings as well.

Your post has kind of tempted me to buy it now though, especially because of the sale.

20. Shankopotamus

Mar 28, 2011
    #180 Shankopotamus, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
    Yeah, that post did it for me too. I'm glad you mentioned that, because I thought it was exactly the same. It's nice to hear that Square didn't exactly copy and paste for more money.