iPad Charmed and charmed lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TIMELESS, Sep 18, 2009.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I just tried out 'Charmed' for the first time and I have to say it is really good! I really like the extra strategy that the gold tiles bring to the game. The game is very polished too.

2. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Update out now!!

3. Charmed V1.5 Update Now Ready for Sale!

I'm very pleased to announce that the V1.5 update for Charmed was just approved by Apple. It should start to make its way onto iTunes stores around the world over the next few hours.

Here's "What's New This Version":
    • OpenFeint support
    • Global Online leaderboards
    • Facebook and Twitter integration
    • 32 Achievements (each with their own icon!)
    • Five new game boards (total 35 now)
    • New Game Modes: Timed, Endless and Challenge
    • Difficulty Levels: Easy, Normal, Hard & Expert
    • Start a new game from any unlocked level (or 2 beyond that)
    • See a thumbnail image of all unlocked levels before playing
    • Better support for listening to iPod music in game
    • Several bug fixes
    Here is the new "New Game" screen that so many users were asking for:

[​IMG]

And the new OpenFeint leaderboards screen:

[​IMG]

4. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Thanks Ken, I just logged on to see all of the updates. Does it erase all of your scores prior to update? And does it allow you to choose levels based on your last saved game before updating?

By the way, thank you for the update I am really excited, and love this game a lot.

5. Price drop!

To help promote the new V1.5 update to Charmed, we have reduced the price to $1.99!

If you like Charmed, please tell your friends about it and help us climb the Puzzle Game charts!

6. It doesn't factor in your saved game, but if you level up from your saved game, then all levels up to and including that level will be unlocked.

Also, since the existing difficulty level was changed, new difficulty levels were added, frequency of snowflakes was changed (and varies across difficulty levels) and some level layouts have changed. Due to all these changes, we decided not to submit your current High Scores to OpenFeint. Everyone starts clean now.

That will just give you more chances to earn those 32 OpenFeint Achievements! :)

7. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Fantastic update. I hope people will really give this game a chance, especially with all these new great enhanced special features. Really deserves to be seen and played. I am in just about a complete turn around from my initial impression of the game back in the beginning of October.

8. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    I am wondering about this one. I am really getting sick of typical match 3 games. The onle one I really got addicted to was Azkend. Is this really special and dofferent from the hundreds of match 3 games out there ?

9. PhagoCychotic

Mar 22, 2009
    I would say that yes, it is different from other match-3's but it's also different from Azkend (a game I enjoyed and finished), which is a story based match-3. Charmed fits into the straight match-3 genre with it's puzzle like elements and soothing gameplay.

In order to pass a level, one must clear all the gold tiles from the gameboard. Gold tiles have a unique layout in each level. In addition to that, the refresh rate of the charms can be limited because there are these purple blocker blocks (also unique in layout for each level) that keep charms from falling. This may force you to rotate device or singularly shift each game piece strategically. The potential for super high scores and some really nice achievements have been added too. There are multiple gameplay modes to keep your playtime fresh.

I've compared the two many times before, but I own Bejeweled 2 and I can't help but reinforce how much funner Charmed is, imo.

10. Feel free to download Charmed Lite to check it out for yourself, then you can make the call. The Lite version is missing all the new features of the V1.5 update, however; it still does a great job showcasing the gameplay of Charmed.

11. Bogucci

Bogucci Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    @home.nl
    Thanks for the update. I really enjoy this game.

12. Plast2

Plast2 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    I feel charmed beyond… Well, no, I don’t. - But I do like Charmed a whole heck of a lot! Mind Juice Media was kind enough to let me have a go at this little charmer (no pun intended) in connection with their current 1.5 update, and following celebratory sale. Right now I’m having a hard time trying to put the iPhone down long enough for me to write this little review :p

At first glance, it might look no different than any other Match 3 puzzle game. But you would be fooled in thinking so. For one, and this is my favorite part of the game; when the device is rotated, the charms also rotate - with the change - across the board, in gravitational direction. So if you turn your device 90 degrees, everything on your board will shift accordingly. That adds a total new experience, play and dimension to the game. - I kid you not!

Another thing; the objective of the game is not to clear the board, as one is most likely used to, but rather to remove the charms placed on the gold tiles. That done, and we move on to the next level. Oh, and don’t forget the timer making sure we aren’t only semi conscious or reading up on the daily news while we are playing ;)

There are quite a few things making this match 3 puzzler stand out, another would be the freeze power meter. This one enters the game when we match 3 or more snowflake charms. When we use the freeze meter, we can swap any two pieces we like. - And these are just a few of the things Charmed has to offer.

It really is a lovely game; colors are amazing, sound and music is perfectly matched for the game, the polish on this one is really quite remarkable in the appstore. Of course there's a barrage of difficulties as you progress, OpenFeint deals with leaderboard and achievements and all that brouhaha, Seriously, it’s very hard to find fault with this game! :confused:

Of all the match 3 games I’ve dealt with, this one would easily fit in the top five. I strongly recommend everyone with just a hint of curiosity to have a go at it, I’m sure the game will do the rest in putting you under it’s charming spell. - Still not convinced? –Try the lite, it’s free! - But I would have a very hard time telling you, that the current price tag of $1.99 isn’t a steal and a bargain!

13. Ooops!

It turns out that the V1.5 update to Charmed had a very small, but very problematic defect in it.

If players did not sign in to OpenFeint when they first opened the game, then they would experience a complete freeze-up whenever they earned an achievement.

If you've signed in even once, then it no longer matters if you are online or offline. The freeze won't occur for you.

Unfortunately all our Beta testers were trying out the OpenFeint features, so they all logged in to the servers at the beginning and then never experienced this problem.

Anyway, I spent the early evening last night trying to reproduce the defect and determine the cause. I tracked down the source of the defect and corrected it. A new V1.6 update was submitted to Apple at 2am last night.

In the meantime, we've posted the following note on iTunes:

Again I would like to apologize if this affected anyone here, and I hope the update gets through Apple quickly, but with the holiday weekend, I am not holding my breath.

If you are able to access a WiFi or 3G network, then I hope you enjoy the V1.5 update. If you cannot get access to the network, then I hope you enjoy the V1.6 update in a week or two.

14. Charmed Featured in Hot New Games Category!

Yay! Charmed finally got some love from Apple!

It got featured in the Hot New Games category on the iPhone.

I haven't seen it show up in iTunes yet, but I hope that is coming! Please let me know if you see it pop up!

Interestingly enough it was Steve Demeter of Trism fame that tipped me off that Charmed had been featured! Pretty cool!

15. By the way, if anyone on TA has Charmed and has not rated the current V1.5 version yet, I would really appreciate you adding a rating ASAP!

We got a few 1 star ratings because of a crash issue that has a simple workaround, and we have submitted a fix to Apple 5 days ago and are waiting for it to be approved. I'd like to counteract those while we are featured!

Thanks!

16. PhagoCychotic

Mar 22, 2009
    I'm sorry that this OF crash occured--it never happened for me. My glowing review was submitted!

17. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Now on sale for 99 cents. I just picked this up. I loved the Lite version.

It's hard to stand out on the App store if you are a Match 3 game. Charmed manages to do that.

18. Charmed on Sale for HALF PRICE!

To celebrate Charmed being featured by Apple in the Hot New Games category on the iPhone and iPod Touch, we have reduced the price to $0.99!

Charmed is a bargain at twice the price! At $0.99 it's a total auto-buy!

19. 9000bcgame

9000bcgame Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I really enjoy your game! Very nicely designed and well thought out!
    Great Job! :)

20. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Cool, I'll get it. I somewhat enjoyed the lite version.