Universal Chippy Fish & Chip Shop Simulator (by GLITCHE.RS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by glitchers, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Nst72

Nst72 Active Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Enjoying the game.at last a British food game,been too many American burger type games.will you be adding black,white,red puddings?

2. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Bah, I really should change my signature... This is going to get a bit lengthy, apologies in advance...

TA ate my original signature, and I threw that quote up there in the midst of a bunch of conversations about Premium games with consumable IAPs. A couple developers were saying they weren't necessary (turns out they very much were in the related titles... Oops! lol), and the cynical part of me thought it made a sweet quote, mostly because of how laughable the notion is. "They're in there, but we hope you don't buy them?" Uhm, yeah, sure.

My stance on IAPs is pretty fluid and remarkably nuanced, but the easiest break-down would be this:

If I don't need them, I'm more likely to support the game, developer, and quite frankly, oftentimes buy them.

If I buy a "Premium" game and end up actually needing to contemplate purchasing IAPs to progress (consumables being the worst culprit), that's pretty much it for that game, and usually the developer.

Conversely, if I get a game for free and I actually engage (come back to it for more than, say, a week, while actually playing with intent), and feel like I could theoretically keep playing (albeit at whatever speed the "grind" is) without genuinely needing IAP help, I buy something, depending on the depth of the game (runners less, RPGs more, action/shooters more or less depending on various factors). If I don't feel like playing is possible without a steady influx of "real world" cash, I dump the game and make a note of where it came from.

I'm not against IAP per se, but I do not enjoy the current level of abusive IAP tactics, especially in what were once genuinely "Premium" games, but also in a vast number of FTP titles that are anything but FTP.

Oddly, while the thought of IAPs in premium games doesn't sit well with me, I have purchased them relatively frequently in FTP games I've enjoyed, simply because everything I get for "Free" takes food away from someone's kid.

Kiloo is a great example of IAP in FTP games done well. It's pretty clear from the balancing of their games that they're equally fine with no purchase, one-time purchase, or "whale-sized" purchases of IAPs...

Phew, was that a mouthful of /off-topic... but you asked for it. ;):)

DBC

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #43 oooooomonkey, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    (Removed so as not to offend anyone) :p

As some good news, when I was playing this and my daughter looked over and went "oh I don't like those type of games" but then when she watched me play asked for a go, and after one shot she's hooked and now loving it.

I should mention that I'm not playing this non stop, I'm just playing one in game day whenever I pick my iPad up, so I'm not that far into it (just unlocked moustached customers) but still it's a great game.
    And I totally recommend it.

4. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Great way to raise your offspring, encourage them to verbally abuse large people?

Ever heard of live and let live? ya'know mind your own business?

Do you also tell your sprogs to call coloured people the N word or French frogs, or Chinese the C word or the Disabled the S word?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

5. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #45 oooooomonkey, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    Hey it's all in fun :p you trying to say you have never laughed at someone else before. And it's only a game!! What are you supposed to say about someone who eats 2 portions of fish and six potions of chips?? I'd look at it as a lesson learned in weight management, don't eat that much or you'll end up fat (like that women in the chippy) :p

Also I think the other comparisons are a bit to far and not really the same thing, I'd make fun of someone wether they're fat or thin or have funny hair or clothes, I think there's a difference between fun/abuse and racism.

Edit. I'd make fun of you for being cheap :p I remember you saying you wouldn't pay full price for this :p

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I think ooooomonkey was merely pointing out the very funny pseudo-realism. The track suits and Newcastle United tops made me smile when I was playing. Context and intent are quite important with humour. Sorry to digress - just unlocked the smoked sausage. Properly can't wait to see what's next.

7. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Crap. Just when I think I've no business in this thread, you post that. Looks like I'll be picking this up...

DBC

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    You need to lighten up (perhaps literally). People can't choose their race, but we know the vast majority of overweight people are overweight because of greed and laziness, not "glands" or "big bones". No, making fun of an actual overweight person (which Monkey isn't, because this is a video game) isn't particularly kind, but it's not a lifestyle to defend either.

9. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Thanks, at least some other people can see the funny side and that I wasn't outright just insulting people, jeez if you can't make fun of people in a video game what's the world coming to, I'd also take it that *cough* cheapskate ipad2user doesn't and hasn't watched South Park before as it would obviously offend the hell out of them :p

10. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    People still use the phrase, "coloured people?" Yikes! :eek:

DBC

11. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I know, that stuck out as an ironically cringe-worthy thing to me, too. Still trying to figure out what the "S word" is, actually. :p

12. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    That worked. :) I'm really enjoying Chippy!

13. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Getting a lot of black screen. Uh.. Crashes?

is it an ipad2 thing or are you all getting it too?

14. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Update has just hit the UK.

15. glitchers

glitchers Member

Oct 24, 2013
    This should now be resolved! Please let me know how you get on

16. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yey no more black screen, after the update everything's working fine now:D

17. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Yeah, working fine here too. :D

18. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Are you sure you don't mean coloured screen? Sorry - I'll get my coat.

19. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    I try not to make fun of people for reason such as fat-thin-ugly-small-black-white-yellow-ginger-disabled-cripped-or otherwise.

I just hate the mentality of people in this day and age, they see ppl walking down the street and if they don't 'conform' to what you see as 'normal', they jeer and shout and mock.

Yes I've seen this as my brother is disabled and my best mate is fat, both are jeered at in the street by lowlife scum who make their lives a misery.

You should 'live and let live' if someone passes you and they are disabled or fat or ugly or any of the others, just ignore them, no need to harrass ppl and make their lives hell.

'lol'ing' at cartoon fat ppl in a game with your sprog is getting them in the mindset of 'you can mock people who aren't ''normal'''. stupid mentality.

Last week my brother was called a '****ing spastic t***' by someone across the street when he was only going to the shop, now he doesn't wanna go out at all. see what you are continuing by encouraging your brats??

ok rant over and feel free to say what you will in reply, today I sold my ipad2 for a workmate for £150 and I'm off these boards.

just stop breeding hate!! :mad::mad::mad:

20. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Hey now, don't lower the tone – "African-American screen", please.

No, it isn't, and if your child (or anyone for that matter) can't tell the difference between reality and a game/movie/television show, many of which deliberately employ these types of characters for comedic effect, then they have far bigger issues to deal with, not least of which is a parent not doing their job.

This smacks of the whole "violent videogames cause children to become real-life murderers/D&D makes children worship Satan/rock and roll makes children sex-crazed potheads" hysteria all over again. Finding humour in a hugely fat caricature in a fish-and-chip-shop-themed videogame doesn't immediately lead into bullying overweight people in real life any more than satisfaction in a critical backstab in Baldur's Gate leads a person to become a murderer in real life; demanding people show respect and empathy for completely fictional characters, however, is very much the essence of political correctness gone mad.

The people in this game are not real and were designed for comedic effect. You won't hurt their feelings by laughing at them. This is important to remember.