Universal Choppa (by Parta Games Oy)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 9, 2016.

1. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Please make it possible to mute the music without muting the sfx.

Why some games don't offer this option as standard is beyond me.

2. antti_partagames

antti_partagames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 3, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks for the feedback, we'll discuss about including this in the next update!

3. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    [hungover]Sorry for the grouchy post; I should have added that it looks like a fun little game.[/hungover]

4. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I tried it and didn't like it - the choppa moves very slowly and the game felt very tedious as a result.

5. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Now that I've put it on my pad I agree that this is a problem. I think a better solution would be to retain the existing control scheme but limit it to the bottom half of the screen (on pad, works fine on phone).
    So, the bottom quarter would deal with down, the next quarter up would deal with up and the top half would be redundant. I think people's thumbs could deal with that without changing how they're holding the pad when it's time to ascend or descend.

6. antti_partagames

Patreon Bronze

Feb 3, 2016
    Finland
    Have you tried the engine upgrades? It makes a world of difference!

7. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I like this game, I like the concept, the art style etc. but there is a flaw: the controls are very uncomfortable on an iPad. Your fingers need to traverse a long distance which is tiring. And I'm playing on an iPad mini 2, I can imagine it would be even harder on a standard iPad.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    My problem with the game is that I like the art style, concept, etc., but the game for me is missing something crucial: inertia. The helicopter doesn't feel right. You stop touching the side of the screen and how it stops moving feels... Weird, unnatural. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but I know it's missing the inertia I'd expect the helicopter to have in this game.

9. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Really fun game but hate that the coin doubler can't be bought outright and the back to mission one upon crashing. All fails and ruining factors.

10. decript

decript Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    BC, Canada
    Fun game, I like the mechanics and upgrades.
    However, I second having an alternative control scheme like a joystick or static buttons, even for iPhone users.

Also, make the coin doubler purchasable. Only 10 mins of it then a 3 hour cooldown means I only play for about 10mins a couple times a day. I'd like to spend longer on it at a time and would rather earn money at a steady rate then outright unlock choppas with money.

11. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    "A" looks good to me - it's pretty original.

12. Showmelater

Showmelater Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    #32 Showmelater, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    I think this one would be a real good game on the Apple tv with the Siri remote

13. Naraka

Naraka Member

Oct 2, 2012
    It would be great on Apple TV! Also like the idea of buying coin doubler outright. But if your making your money on the ads still enjoying the game. Found taps instead of tap and hold works well for moving. Almost got enough for second Choppa!!

14. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Yeah, the controls make this unplayable for me on my iPad Air.

I like how the controls work on a similar game called Dustoff Heli Rescue. Give that a try!

15. antti_partagames

Patreon Bronze

Feb 3, 2016
    Finland
    Humble thanks for so many of you playing our game. Choppa is doing exceptionally well on the US App Store right now and we're just stunned about how good the game's reception has been. Thank you everyone!

Of course we've been getting lots of great feedback about the game, iPad controls being the main concern. The decision to not include virtual joystick controls was honestly speaking a deeply personal one; both of us at Parta Games don't really like them. We also wanted to keep the game as simple as possible and we spent many hours debating about the optimal control scheme for the game (after lots of playtesting in beta and soft launch of course).

I won't promise anything yet but I'm personally quite optimistic about some kind of alternate virtual joystick-like control scheme. Let's see what we can do

- Antti

16. antti_partagames

Patreon Bronze

Feb 3, 2016
    Finland
    First week numbers are in and we got a whopping 600K+ downloads in a week with #1 US iPad arcade game spot and top5-top10 game spots in many countries! This is an awesome start for our little game, thank you so much for playing and keep on saving the peeps, pilots! <3

17. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game is so fun. Normally after a week of playing I either beat a game or I lose interest.
    I'm still playing this game. 10 stars

18. antti_partagames

Patreon Bronze

Feb 3, 2016
    Finland
    Hi folks! We announced the first Choppa content update just moments ago due to land May 5th.

The update adds three new helicopters, including the ‘MEGA UFO’ with a gameplay-transforming tractor beam, powerful ‘GOLDEN BOY’ with coin doubler and a red camouflage colored version of the ultra popular AK-84 APALACHEE chopper. A bunch of funny achievements and new mission challenges also arrive in this update in addition to the iOS version getting a nice performance boost.

We made a short teaser video using Everyplay, check it out! :)
    https://everyplay.com/videos/28578834

P.S. We're aware of the bug making some players lose upgrades when selecting other choppas. We hope you are patient while we search for the issue. If you've come across this and can describe the steps please send some info to [email protected]. Thanks!

- Antti

19. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    I really like everything about this game but yeah, found the controls on iPad unplayable. Ill keep it on my device in hope that a better solution pops up in an update.

20. antti_partagames

Patreon Bronze

Feb 3, 2016
    Finland
    Hi pilots!

If you wondered why we went into stealth mode after releasing the first content update it's because we're so excited to finish the second content update. I'm probably not exaggerating too much when I say it effectively doubles the amount of content in the game. We're going to add a cool (or should I say hot) desert level with new mechanics and obstacles. A couple of new and exciting Choppas and missions are also inbound in this update.

Here's a little work-in-progress sneak peek! [​IMG]