Chrono Trigger for iOS (December 2011)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Abisco, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Theres 3 ways i know of:

1) be incredibly lucky with touch controls
    2) Use iControlPad
    3) Use wiimote

I chose iControlPad because its awesome, but more people have access to wiimotes

Wonder how this section will work with iOS version, its incredibly hard with a touch dpad in emulator. Any idea how the ds version did it? that had touch controls

2. wolfpowpow

wolfpowpow Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    This is classic!

3. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    If this game is a port of snes, it's useless. There is a great snes emulator on cydia, download the rom of Chorno trigger and play, it runs perfectly(I finished the game 2 months ago).

4. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Unfortunately not everyone who owns an iphone jailbreaks it (crazy right?)
    So this will be another overpriced squeenix game, but this game is so awesome it will still sell loads. I just hope for the extra money it gets the bonus content from the DS version like dungeons and cutscenes

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry to put words in your mouth. I guess I assumed you preferred the original, but you know what they say about assuming ;).

Helvetica has a nice x-height and open counters, which makes it pop on the pixelated background. Aesthetically it's a mediocre choice, but it's not bad usability-wise. There are better choices out there, but also worse (see Vay as a for instance). They could have also gone for a better pixel-based choice, too (one of the Emperors by Emigre, for example).

Sorry to get all technical...

6. Badtz!

Badtz! Active Member

Nov 7, 2011
    don't ban lol

I'm surprised! Only one raving fanboy showed up and remained (unfortunately).

Oh, but it is, and you are wrong. The font is neutral with the 16-bit setting? Come on!

Get some real prescription eyewear or wipe the loads of SE-ladened conjunctivitis from your failing eyes. Obviously, getting glasses would be much easier, quicker, cheaper, and non-fatal, for you, at least.

I remember having an argument with another SE fanboy on a different forum about the then-recent FFT:WOTL iOS port: he absolutely refused to admit that there was even a minutiae of lag during gameplay and refused to accept any flaw as anything other than a strength.

Naturally, being a blind fanboy that he was, he often ridiculed and/or denied every single negative comment/complaint made (no matter how minor) toward his beloved game as false or "troll posts." As if his insolent attitude wasn't enough, he went as far as (mis)diagnosising several posters in regards to their mental status.

As pathetic as he was, I couldn't help but pity him because I knew that there was a real person sitting behind that computer screen.

Ah, nostalgia, that takes me back... To last week. I had just recently downloaded the SNES9X EX emulator along with a handful of SNES ROMS. I must have spent three hours playing Zelda. Oh, wait! This is about Chrono Trigger: the game that was bundled with the SNES ROMS pack, the game that I didn't get around to playing (yet).

As a matter of fact, I only recently loaded up CT to compare the fonts and text boxes with the new CT iOS screenshots. It was painfully obvious which one looked better... Hint - NOT the iOS version.

Neurosis? Don't start projecting your disorders on to me... I'm kidding! It's okay, whatever makes you feel better.

Anyway, what is there to forgive? People can't help the way they are born, you, especially, are no exception. You know what? I'm in an incredibly kind and forgiving mood tonight. I'll forgive you just for the heck of it!

All is forgiven and all is forgotten (including this thread). I'll see you in the Chrono Trigger release thread in a few weeks.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

u mad

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This thread has gone beyond what price war threads are able to achieve. Congrats.

9. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Font war threads are the new price war threads.

10. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    Fonts, really!!!!

11. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    LOL @ this thread. Oh god has this gone to hell.

12. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Wow. If this is how u react to a game, I can't imagine how long it takes u to buy a cell phone. Gotta have just the right font I suppose.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #73 squarezero, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
    Obviously I will have to go back and clean up this thread. Sorry to derail it by trying to insert a bit of (no pun intended) moderation. I guess saying that SE made a mediocre decision rather than a horrible one means that one is a raving fanboy :D. Please enjoy the display of crazy while it lasts -- it won't be here for long.

For the record, the name squarezero has zero (pun intended) to do with Square Enix.

EDIT: After reviewing the thread, it's way too many posts to delete. From now on, the font/typeface subject is closed.

14. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    New post from their Fanpage

15. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Best battle system ever... I love the game up till around when.
    you get magus

I wish the multiple endings were optional and there was an official way to go...

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #76 Vovin, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

WOOT?

I always thought that "squarezero" was made up from:

I loooove "square" Enix (before they merged) and have "ZERO" tolerances with critics.

See what you've done? I am depressed now. :D

Anyway, it's great to know the app already submitted.
    Hoping for a Thursday release next week (if not earlier)!
    Any words about the pricing? I guess we have to expect around 10 bucks for this. (Yes, thank you, I know I was always correct with my guesses about S/E's pricings ;) ).

If anyone is interested in knowing the time for one play-through (SNES / PS1):

Minimum: 18 hours and 0 minutes
    Maximum: 49 hours and 19 minutes
    Average: 33 hours and 13 minutes

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm looking forward to this. As an older gamer i hope it is basically a port of the SNES classic, yep not much will have changed (i presume) but to be able to play this on my ipod instead of having to only play this on my SNES emulator on my PC is great.

There doesnt seem to be random monsters which like Gabrien i'm happy about. Sure the price will be a bit crazy but to be honest i wish other companies 're-released' lots of old classics, so many out there to play from the console years of the 90's (and old games from the 80's), just personally want to be able to play more and more.

Hope this game plays well (And some very amusing pages earlier in this thread !)

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

The Bible is several hundreds of years old; Amazon still sells it in the English Standard Version, Compact TruTone Edition (Chestnut Diamond Design, Red Letter) [Imitation Leather] for 25 bucks. ;) :D

The thing is: Chrono Trigger deserves to be played by everyone able to touch around on an iOS device. In this special case, the price doesn't matter.

19. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    CT and GTAIII in the same week? Oh joy...

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Where did you see it was coming next week?