Universal Cloud Chasers - A Journey of Hope (by Blindflug Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 14, 2015.

1. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Does this offer the replayability of a typical roguelike or is it more of a progressive unlock type thing?

This line about "each playthrough, the world unfolds a little more", makes me think it's the latter.

2. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #42 sinagog, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    I think it meant that, with each random encounter, you'll learn more about how the world went all Mad Max, your characters' pasts- what clubs they were in, deceased relatives, and The Spire, where people can supposedly live a decent life, without scrabbling day-to-day for a tenuous hand-to-mouth existence. There aren't any permanent unlocks s'far as I can tell. You just go from encounter to encounter and raincloud to raincloud, trying to make it to the next city, which is inevitably slightly more dangerous and barren of water than the previous one. It really does play like a slightly more interactive version of Out There, just swap fuel for water. I'd say it's a tad less reliant on luck than Out There, too, as if you're a nifty enough flyer you should be able to dodge the rival water-gathering machines' bullets and stay alive...for awhile. I haven't made it to the last city yet, but completion seems a fair bit more feasible than Out There, which I just keep on klutzing up before I get to the end. Pocket Gamer's review sums it up quite well I think: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Cloud+Chasers/review.asp?c=67892

They also had this back and forth dialogue about the game which is probably even more informative: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Cloud+Chasers/feature.asp?c=67912

3. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    ^ Thanks for the above. Grabbed it. Enjoying it so far. The slow deliberate pace definitely makes it feel less like a twitch game, which is very welcome and was my main concern going in.

4. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

You're not alone! I'm a huge Ghibli fan myself ;)

5. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bought it yesterday! I have just played for 10 minutes so far so I can't tell too much about the game. But I seem to like it very much. Oh and yes, the pace of the game is slow, so keep that in mind. My first play through only lasted 10 minutes because both my characters became sick haha.. ####ing snakes camping in the bushes!

6. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I couldn't get past the slow beginning. I tried, but I got bored really quickly. It's pretty though.

7. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Have you seen Cave's recent Twitter on
    Bug Princess? That artwork iz niiiiiiiiiice

8. IronJupiter50

IronJupiter50 Active Member

Mar 28, 2014
    The beginning is hard and gathering water is slow until you can upgrade your glider. This game has this one more time feel. Since most of my deaths were because of my own mistakes. Don't be greedy!

I liked the relaxing feel of gliding in the early levels. But later in the game
    there are annoying towers that shoot at you.

There are only a few bugs that I noticed. Minor grammatical issues. One time, while walking through the desert, my guy got stuck next to a mountain and wouldn't move. There was a couple of times where a lady gives me a child's backpack, but I never received it. And if you die in the middle of an encounter, the screen goes black. And I have to kill the game.

I finished the game in a few hours, but I probably won't play it again. I do applaud the developers for creating a unique game. I had fun playing it.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    For me, the greatest bug is that it doesn't load... And the update which was coming doesn't come.

10. PrimoBr

PrimoBr Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Same thing for me. The game doesn't work. Thinking if i should ask for a refund, and maybe buy this later in a sale. I will never buy another game from this guys at launch. It's a shame, because it looks cool and i liked first strike, but it's over for me.

11. PrimoBr

Aug 14, 2015
    Same thing for me. The game doesn't work. Thinking if i shoyld ask for a refund, and maybe buy this later in a sale. I will never buy another game from this guys at launch. It's a shame, because it looks cool and i liked first strike, but it's over for me.

12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Maybe you should... This time around I won't be asking for a refund though, so if you keep an eye on this thread, I'll be posting when (if) this issue gets fixed ;)

13. JeremySpillmann

JeremySpillmann Active Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Game Designer
    Zürich Switzerland
    #53 JeremySpillmann, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    Hello everyone,

Sorry for showing up so late. We've been getting the reports of Cloud Chasers not loading for several people over the weekend. We've bern working on it since Monday and finally isolated the problem.

It was a problem with our Quest Updater and Language Database, which causes the game to get Stuck in a loop if you are running your iOS on Spanish, Portuguese or Italian. Launching the game initially with one if these languages will permanently disable the load of crucial assets in the main menu.

This oversight shouldnt have happened, we're really sorry. Now, Version 1.0.2 is already in the pipeline and will fix the spanish language. And we compiled 1.0.3 yesterday which will fix Portuguese and Italian. These will launch hopefully this week and early next week.

We're really sorry for this mess. :/. Everyone should be able to get a refund easely should you choose to. I can also supply all of you who posted having trouble with promo codes once the fixes hit.

Best
    -Jeremy from Blindflug Studios

14. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Mine is Spanish. I'll wait for the fix, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, though thanks for the refund & code offer. Really appreciated.

15. PrimoBr

Aug 14, 2015
    Well, i'll wait for a fix then. Running in portuguese. Also, until today, first strike don't show some characters the right way. Thanks!

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @JeremySpillmann thinking it twice, why don't you send the code you indirectly offered me as compensation to Touch Arcade? That way they don't need to buy the game to review it in case they're interested in reviewing it ;)

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @JeremySpillmann Now I'm really pissed off. Update goes live and it's iOS8+ only. When I bought the game it was iOS7+. I'm on iOS 7.1.2. I'm asking for a refund. You never mentioned that the fix would also imply going to an iOS 8 minimum. This is pathetic... :angry:

18. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Wow. The video looks fantastic.
    Looks a bit like a dystopian future and an original storyline.
    Very nice.
    I'm keeping my eye on this one for now.

19. JeremySpillmann

JeremySpillmann Active Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Game Designer
    Zürich Switzerland
    @VirtuelBoyFreak Yea its true, we let the Spanish fix go though and also liftet the minimum requirement from 6.0 to 8.0.

We had a lot of complains of the compatibility issues concerning the 3GS, 4G and iPod Touches, even though we had a note in the bottom of the description. We thats why we lifted it to 8.0 to at least make sure these owners can be excluded via iTunes.

I'm sorry that we made you angry with the lift. I hope you'll get the full refund, else just contact me via PM and we'll work something out. Just out of curiosity, what device were you using for the game?

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #60 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    I wanted to use my iPad 3. It's on iOS 7.1.2 because I've got several games & apps which haven't been optimized for iOS8 & iOS9.

It's a pity that people don't know how to read the minimum specs notices at the bottom of the game description, other devs put it at the very beginning to avoid this issue to some extent. But in any case, I don't think this minimum iOS increase is the solution, specially when there's no technical issue that doesn't allow the game to run on previous iOS versions. Anyway, you're the devs and it's your choice, but leaving out iOS7 iPad 3 (there are a lot out there) because there are others who don't know how to read is not too smart, specially when it's a recommended device, not a minimum device... Only my opinion though.