coding iphone games

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dewy666, May 27, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The best way is by picking one of the countless beginner's tutorials on Google and following it. Since you reported my post, I'm guessing that isn't something you're interested in doing? :confused:

2. dewy666

dewy666 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    i reported the post of you being arrogant and making assumptions but after you helped me i see you are not a tard that always post search on google when someone asks for help

3. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    From what I see, he was trying to help you the first time, but you were making assumptions that he was making assumptions, and we all know how much you hate assumptions.

4. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    and plus you shouldnt report a moderator

5. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    why not do they have special powers

6. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
    the power to delete this thread

7. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    you are now the one making assumptions so if you dont understand the human mind then how can you be human

8. codepunk

codepunk Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    There in lies the problem there is no best and certainly not a quick way to learn to do it. You just need to sit down with a compiler and start writing stuff you don't need the phone at first just start out with the basics and move on from there. Programming these small devices is even more difficult because your code needs to be optimized to squeeze out the performance. That sort of thing comes with experience. Just start with text based console stuff and move up from there. I warn you however you have a long road ahead of you, much more than you expect. If you really want to do it then get busy start writing code now.

9. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    why would they delete it when there are links and info for other people in this forum to use so they know where to start in making iphone apps

10. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008

well considering the nature of this post and where it is posted anyone could assume wrongly of my intentions as i was asking the developers their opinion thats why i posted it here if i wanted

"go search google because google know all" (which it doesnt considering there are websites banned from google because they dont agree with googles terms) i would have posted it in another section or another forum

11. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    i was looking for some tutorials that explain every bit of code used and what it does in that order

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Can I sticky this thread?

13. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    sure but for what reason

14. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
    i should have said lock because this is getting pointless and off topic(me included)

15. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    i do agree

16. Okay. People need to stop being so hard on the guy. We all started somewhere, including me.
    Welcome Dewy666.

I started by downloading the SDK, and following some simple project examples from the Hot Cocoa podcast (HD version link). I also bought a couple of books, but they are just used for reference mostly. They are Beginning iPhone Development and Programming in Objective C 2.0. I also learned a lot from Schenks Studios video tutorials, although ideally you need to implement more memory management into the example code if you are to include it in your app. However since then, and great resource for learning is the Stanford Application Programming podcast.
    Watch some of the video tutorials and podcasts to get some idea as to what it's all about, and see how you get on ;)

17. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    well i only have sams xcode unleashed 3 which talks through using xcode also i downloaded the iphone programming stanford lectures on itunesu so i have a lot to look through

with the lectures combined are 9.05 gb and 19.7 hours long in total then i have to go through the xcode book (mac osx, cross platforming and iphone) but i will take your advice as well as you started form where i am now

the voice of experience is the best voice to hear

i will probably start with apps rather than games as they seem easier to start with

18. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    well hopefully if i can learn to code then i can buy a new mac instead of using a mac mini with a 17" screen for writing apps

thank you all for your help i will look through all of these