Universal Cogs (by Lazy 8 Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, it would have been nice as a sort of 'lite' version.

2. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Any other impressions?

3. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    For a second I was thinking it was a screaming deal-must be a initial price plan, but hearing that its only the first 10 levels with additional content as in app paid DLC kinda disappoints.

I'm all for using DLC to increase revenues by adding additional content after initial release, but having it right off the bat seems a bit deceptive to players that think they are buying a full game.

4. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    damnit why is it not in the app store yet im not at home , its in the computer app store but not the mobile one , jesus hurry up!

it just popped up says request could not be completed, come the heck on apple....

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Can anyone confirm how the pricing and DLC in this game works? We're podcasting right now!

6. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's fantastic, get it, smooth framerate, excellent graphics, good variety, acheivements, leaderboard, etc.

@Chrono_Gear

They implemented the DLC option so that if people felt that they didn't want to continue with harder puzzles, or that they had played enough and didn't want to pay for more puzzles, that the option was there.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Why would anyone think that they could get this whole game for .99 cents?

Personally, I think this is a good plan. It keeps the people who download and immediately delete every free game (and give one star) out of the picture, while providing a substantial taste to those who are genuinely interested.

Sadly, the link on the first page didn't work for me.

8. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    You buy the game for $0.99 and get the first 10 levels, there are 5 packs of 10 levels each (including the first one) that each cost $0.99, you do a nifty micro-transaction to buy other packs.

Each pack also adds 20 levels to challenge mode.

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    The screenshots don't seem too appealing..I'll probably end up picking it up, but still.

10. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    there is dollar packs , the game is technically 5 bucks if you want the rest of the puzzles, well worth it....

11. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    i can pay for it definitely. i have plenty of itunes credit.... but im not so sure i will like it. i think it would have made more sense the other way...idk....

12. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Alright, I'll pick it up. I'll post what I think of it soon.

13. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I like the puzzles so far. Visually, it's not that stunning but the music and the sounds in the game backed it up ;) I was confused with the DLC, there were a lot of slots aiming at ten levels for a dollar - one cent. I think it should show the level packs, rather than all the levels (?) because it would seem like there are 15+ (ten in each) level packs for $15+ :confused: I'm just confusing myself. So far so good.

I agree with starmonkey101

14. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I own the PC version of the game. It looks really good. The iDevice version looks a bit ugly with all the jagged lines (judging from screenshots). Can someone confirm whether it actually looks better on iDevice? Youtube is blocked where I am.
    10 puzzles for $0.99 is a bit light. I know there are different modes of play but same puzzles. First 10 puzzles in the PC version were so easy, they could be completed in a very short time.

15. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    at 99 cents you get 10 puzzle levels if you want more there is more listed in the puzzle select screen, if you click the 11th puzzle says you need to buy it, brings up a cogs buy screen but it looks like either the server overloaded or the packs are not there yet to dl....

the graphics are amazing on this by the way...very steam punk

correction the server came up i got puzzle packs to choose from for puzzles 12-21 - 99 cents a pop for flying contraption puzzles looks like they are themed

16. rhansson

rhansson Well-Known Member

Wow, saw the trailer. This game looks really cool and unique!

/Rasmus

17. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

OMG! Tell them I said "yes"

18. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Cogs exceeded my expectations. If you are on the edge about this one, I say go for it. After all, its only 99 cents to try out the game. The steam punk look is great along with the progressively challenging levels. Solving two sides at once can get tricky!

19. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    ya, the DLC is confusing me too. im gonna wait for some clarification. i think that eventually the game will go to free but the existing DLC will stay as priced. this isnt a reason for me to not pick it up now. but i just need some time to see some reviews or something. definitely the most convoluted DLC arrangement on the appstore. i have heard 15 level for a dollar, 10 levels for a dollar, 30 levels for a dollar.

on another note, i think its kinda greedy for chillingo to charge 99 cent for just 10 levels. i consider these 10 levels kind of a demo if i may say. so why not make them free and just charge for the DLC? idk, kinda weird if you ask me.....

20. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    It looks a hell lot better in the video.