Universal Cogs (by Lazy 8 Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    OK!

DLC:

$0.99 gets you the first 10 levels, including 20 levels in challenge mode,

An additional $0.99 gets you the next 10 levels, including 20 levels in challenge mode,

etc. (there are 5 level packs in total, including the first one that comes with the game, for a total of 50 levels [150 including challenge mode]) It doesn't sound like great value, but believe me, it is.

Graphics look much better in motion!

The thread title should be changed, the game is by lazy8studios, it is only published by Chillingo.

Additionally, the levels get very challenging. You will know this if you have played the PC version.

BUY IT NAO!

2. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    OK! thanks for the clarification! i get it now....:rolleyes:

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Played the first several levels on both inventor and challenge mode -

They are pretty rudimentary at those levels, and high scores are easy to obtain.

Pressing on locked levels brings up a screen offering to let you buy 10 levels at a time. I am not sure where the 15 levels are coming from.

To quote " Ten More puzzles are available in the next Cogs puzzle pack."

Each puzzle has 3 modes associated with it - an inventor mode - sort of to get you used to all the devices, and how they will work together.
    In the challenge mode - there is a time challenge (whichs is pretty similar to the inventor mode, although presents you with a different layout then the inventor mode, and a move challenge - take your time, try and solve it with minimal moves.

Graphically, it looks great - real eye candy so far.

I think the big question is going to be whether to pay $4.99 for all the puzzles, or $3.99 if the initial app goes free. At least for the first few levels, it is feeling a bit like a lite version of the game - get you used to mechanics, etc. Although visually very stunning, and probably the last 3 or 4 puzzles will be more challenging, and will have some replay value.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I really like the pricing structure here. I am happy with what I am getting for .99 and since I don't play a lot of games like this, I doubt I will buy any expansion packs. If it was more than .99, I doubt I would have purchased it because even though it is a quality game, it is just not a puzzle type I usually like.

5. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    After the first 10 levels it quickly becomes more difficult.

6. bryanmitchell

bryanmitchell Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Pretty awesome game. Didn't even notice it came out today until just now.

7. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Just got 100 stars, and I'm out of money for DLC :( only got one level pack. I wish there's a way to take out the time and moves.. It bothers me to the point where I have to be perfect in the game. It would be less stressful but it's fine.

So I guess there were 40 extra levels in there and I was a little confused until I bought a level pack. 10 levels for $0.99, all for $3.96. I'll definitely buy all the packs when I get another gift card. It's worth a look.

8. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Have you played in challenge mode?

I got I think 158 stars off the first pack (perfect scores)

9. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Wow, you have posted a bunch of times complaining about a 99 cent price point and whining that you should have gotten a free handout, and you are calling them greedy?

Now that's chutzpah.

I fully expect us to reach a point where people like starmonkey are moaning that developers should be paying them to try out their stupid games, and they have some nerve thinking that people should take them for nothing.

Michael

10. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #50 ImNoSuperMan, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Awesome game. Not really a fan of puzzlers. Didnt even play Cogs (PC version) before but loving this one. First 10 levels were basically a tutorial only. Hopefully the next few will be a bit more challenging :)

11. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Played a few in challenge mode. It will be some time before I get all perfect scores on the first ten levels-Perfect score on four levels. I hate the steam pipes, they are tough.

12. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Lol, I played the beta so much that I can get perfect scores on the first ten easily.

13. PixelWrangler

PixelWrangler Active Member

Sounds like there's some confusion about pricing, so I figure I'd chime in so you can hear it straight from the horse's mouth. The app is $0.99, which gets you the first 10 puzzles in all three gameplay modes. Each additional $0.99 gets you another 10 puzzles -- also with all three gameplay modes. The only exception is that the final puzzle pack (levels 40-51) includes one additional bonus puzzle. Even if you buy it, you can only unlock that last puzzle ("Credits") by earning 300 stars. So if you buy all 51 puzzles in all three gameplay modes, the total comes to $4.95.

Part of the reason we went for the pay-for-what-you-play approach is that Cogs is a notoriously challenging game. So I suspect a lot of players will be happy playing only the first 10 or 20 levels. For those who want to go all the way, you can still get every puzzle that's available on the PC version for half the PC price.

I'd also like to point out that if you want to win EVERY star (There are 816 available), I estimate that it will take about 10 hours of gameplay for most players. One of the guys who bought the PC version recently told me that he won ever star in a 13-hour marathon session. I'll be very interested to see how long it takes for someone to max out the leaderboard. Any takers?

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios
    Twitter | Facebook

14. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm personally enjoying it, it's definitely worth trying out if you like puzzle games.

15. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    ur an idiot! nowhere in there did i complain about anything. i said that charging for the first 10 levels kind of feels like a demo, like a lite version. i just found it weird to do that. if they were gonna go with the DLC, why not make a few free for us to try out anyway. (i guess they will never have a lite version cuz the first few levels cost .99 anyway) and fyi, people here know that i dont complain about app prices and money and crap. im not one of those people that expect everything to be free like you are accusing me of. so before you start blabbing, go fetch yourself a life.

16. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'll do my best, but I won't be able to submit my score for a few days ;)

17. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Its the first time I've seen someone use word chutzpah on any forum. :)

I bought the first 10 levels and have to say that the devs did a good job porting the game to iDevice. There is a good deal of replay value if you try to get perfect score on every puzzle. Turning and sliding puzzles can be done easily and there is no lag. Graphically, I must say that puzzles do look better in motion than screenshots suggest, but not by much. I suppose, unless iDevice could handle anti-aliasing, 3D games will suffer from ugly jagged lines. May be the devs would release a 3G version with smoother graphics...

Regarding the price. May be we are spoilt, but there are a lot of good puzzle games that offer a lot more puzzles for your buck. I suppose you are not only buying the puzzles, but a beautiful presentation as well, but its up to individual gamers to decide whether its worth it or not.

18. Aldex Oun

Aldex Oun Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Man this game is awesome and beautiful, but honestly, the screenshots don't do it any justice. I'm pretty sure a lot of potential buyers are going to pass it up based on the screenshots. :(

19. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    To those shouting about pricing..........

Can we please just relax and focus on the impressions/reviews for a bit? It's brand new and I'd like to see if the hype delivered.

No disrespect.
    How ya doin.
    Say hello to your mother for me.

20. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I am so sorry. I guess I was just confused about all your posts going on and on about the nerve and greed of them asking for a whole 99 cents was complaining. My mistake. It was just...I don't know...chit-chat.

Here's the thing. If you buy a game and you play through it and decide that they didn't give you much gameplay for your money, then saying:

is an observation based on experience. Looking at the price and description and saying:

is just complaining about the price. You haven't tried it yet, so your opinion that it should be free is only based on price. And saying

in a post where you are going on about how a 99 cent app (that you admit you haven't even tried) should be free, makes you look a bit silly.

So you can insult me all you like, but you should either stop complaining about this not being free, or you should stop complaining when people point out that you are complaining about this not being free.

Regards, Michael