Universal Cogs (by Lazy 8 Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 27, 2010.

1. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    so .99 for 10 maps. figured the .99 was to cheap. heh.. explains why.

good luck with your app. :)

chris.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

They sell this game for $10 on the PC, they port it to the iPhone for half the price, with incremental level packs so for some people if they get stuck the game could only cost $2, and yet, some still find something to complain about.

3. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    yeah, people will complain. just to complain.

chris.

4. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Technically, you save $.04 through this method... now is the price so bad? :D

5. BGapps

BGapps Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Hi guys.. Please stop the argument. This is a classic tale! It is boring.

If you think you don't like to pay 0.99 for 10 levels then skip the game.
    If you want to play it, then follow the options available from the store, 0.99 for each pack. Simple! If you think it is too expensive to buy all then you have the option to buy 1, 2 or 3 packs.

Both publisher and buyer are taking risks in applying a business model and buying a game, respectively. I personally don't think this mode of purchase is gonna work better than giving the full package at a discounted price, say 2.99 or even 3.99, in terms of profitability. But this is up to the devs.

I am still unsure about getting the game. I think there are other puzzle games with better value for money. May get two levels for this later.

Btw, why is the DLC options not available on appstore? Must we purchase through the device?

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    You can buy the extra levels in-game only. AFAIK there is no way to buy them from iTunes.

7. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I was really skeptical about getting this game..I mean I'd heard a lot of positive things about it pre-release, but after looking at it in iTunes I was rather 'meh' about it. But..I figured why not, bought it, and I'm really enjoying it. Will probably end up buying most of the extra level packs. Very unique, excellent presentation. I love it.

8. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    This is a very risky business model. I would have never even thought about buying it if I didn't already own it on the pc (2 dollar Steam sale) because most puzzle games give you 50 levels for 3-5 dollars and sometimes drops to a buck after a while to get more recognition.

I'm guessing the developer is doing the DLC method to prevent underpricing the app but I doubt my friends (who don't buy apps all the time) would want to buy 10 levels of a puzzle game. There was another developer called Telltale games who used to charge for each episode of a 5 or 6 part adventure game and they ended up just selling the whole package released in parts for 1 price for their newer games.

9. spawn12345

spawn12345 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Well I looked fast at it and threw myself at the app store to get it.
    I thought wrong about the gameplay and its my own fault.

I thought you would try to put machines together and get items that you need to figure out where to put.
    But it was just moving blocks in the right place and its not my type of game at all.

Its really nice set up and great looking game but the gameplay wasnt for me.

10. aloepar1

aloepar1 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    USA
    Can you skip levels if you get stuck, or do you have to do them in order? Also, for example, if you buy the third level pack but haven't finished the second, can you still play it?

Thanks

11. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

For some strange reason, the built in levels (10) are unlocked as you collect more stars. However, the DLC packs are all open and can be done in any order for the Inventor Mode.

The levels, both built in and DLC, are locked in the challenge mode and so you can only access the next once the previous challenge (level) has been completed... I think.. :rolleyes:

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Solution to the complaints about paying $0.99 for a 10-level lite:

There is no lite, pay the full $4.95 for 50 levels or act the fool and ignore one of the best puzzle games on the iPhone. Submit your complaints to thismoneyusedtobenothingbutappstoremademecheap[at]omg99cents.com

13. ataloss

hahaha :D Ditto that! This game gives "slick" a new definition. :)

14. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Actually, this is not quite true. The last level of the app is locked until you have 300 stars.

Michael

15. ataloss

details... details... ;)

16. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Pure and absolute quality. This title oozes class and playability from each and every pore. You like puzzles, you'll LOVE this!

Jamie.

17. BGapps

BGapps Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    #77 BGapps, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    The gameplay is ok. Replayable. Graphics are not great by today's standard.

18. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    How do iPod Touch owners without WiFi connection buy the additional packs?

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The main flaw in the DLC setup... you'd have to find a hotspot or something.

20. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    OMG This game is just awesome. So awesome.