Universal Cogs (by Lazy 8 Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Really?

It's just a slidey puzzle, right? I like steampunk n all but I'm not sure about this title.

2. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    I love puzzle games tho!

3. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Game Impressions

Lol! :)

I bought this game after I saw the video for it. I don't regret it at all. Very well done puzzle game. I especially like that the goals are somewhat different for each level. For example, in one level you may need to get the gears set up to open a 3d Jack-in-the-Box but in another level it may be a 1d (flat board) in which the goal is to get the chimes to stop working. I have finished all the originial 10 levels and I am starting on the first downloadable pack. Great game! I'm enjoying it!

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It is a slidey puzzle, but at the same time it's so much more. Have you seen this?

The video is the PC version so there are graphical differences and possibly a few gameplay ones, but you get the idea.

5. PixelWrangler

PixelWrangler Active Member

For the first 10 puzzles, you have to earn enough stars to open the next puzzle. But when you include challenge mode, you can get up to 16 stars per puzzle and you only need 5 to unlock the next. So if you get stuck, you can still earn enough stars on earlier puzzles to skip ahead.

When you buy puzzle packs, the new puzzles are unlocked immediately.

You have to buy puzzle packs in order.

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Rob since you're around, are the levels all the same as the PC version? And are you planning on releasing any more packs?

7. PixelWrangler

Most of the iPhone puzzles are the same as the PC version but there are a few exceptions where we've made some changes to smooth out the learning curve. For instance, "Dimensions" is a new puzzle and "Pipes" has some major changes. Also, our testers (myself included) were having a hard time getting gold time awards, so we increased the time award thresholds for almost every puzzle.

As for new puzzle packs, the sales of the last pack will play a big role in setting our priority list. Right now, the next steps include a Mac port that looks like the shiny PC version. I've you've played everything and can't get enough, I'd suggest checking out the PC version as modders have already started to create some great new original puzzles.

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios

8. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm having a lot of fun with this game! I just downloaded the second level pack, and no kidding that it gets hard really fast. I find this to be much more fun than a simple slidey game. That is what it is underneath, but there is so much more variety to the puzzles. I definitely see myself picking up all of the level packs, but I'll probably do it in stages as I finish the previous levels.

Oh, and I think the graphics, music, and sound effects are great!

9. SimonWitton

SimonWitton Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    Everyones moaning about the DLC concept with this game, but i actually prefer it this way. If cogs is as difficult as it sounds i wont maoe it through that many of the levls and i would be pretty pissed off if id have spent £2.99 on it to only get 1/2 way through, whereas with the DLC i can pay for parts at a time and not pay for levels that i will never see.

If there were more level packs made, id vote for medium difficulty levels as they would appeal to more people and the game is pretty challenging as is. But i think the best way to expand the game would be to bring those levels users have already created to the iphone via a free download store, and allow the iphone users to create their own levels on their computers, this would then expand the game a lot and add a bunch of varying difficulty levels for us, if this comes to cogs, i would glady oay another few ££ for it. Oh, and congrats on the release it runs smooth on my iPhone 3G and im impressed for a 1 man operation. Well done!!!

10. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    This looks to be an amazing game, but the fact that most of the puzzles are supposed to be the same as the pc version gives me pause, because climbing the leaderboards will be too masochistic an undertaking in light of the competition. If I heard that DLC packs with entirely original content were available, then that would do a lot for me. Even so, I'll end up getting this sooner or later (probably sooner).

11. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Beautiful game. There are so many variations on the gameplay it's a joy to click on the next level to find what it offers.

And I don't see any problem with the DLC method of this game. It gets hard very fast and if you want to get all the stars for every level it can take quite a while to finish a pack. Better pay for what you play than having to buy the game at full price straight.

Gotta say, for a sliding puzzle this is hot!

12. PixelWrangler

Lazy 8 Studios T-shirt to the first to 816

You've got a point, Grubjelly. Those who have played it on the PC may have an advantage in climbing the leaderbords. But so far, the highest score is still only 290 out of a possible 816 stars.

To get some friendly competition going, I'm offering a free Lazy 8 Studios T-shirt to the first player to get all 816 stars! If it's someone following this message board, be the first to send an email to [email protected] :)

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios

13. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    #93 beetle004, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010

It's not just about the quantity but the quality.Sure it got only 10 levels per dlc but those levels are amazing.....trust me you will spend more time with these 10 levels than other so-called "complete puzzle game". it lets you have the game for only a dollor and if you get stuck, you don't have to waste another 4 bucks!!

Don't go by the no. of levels...those levels are some of the best puzzles i ever came across!!!! Controls are so natural, gfx are so lovely and you need to apply your brains to complete them.When i played the first few levels i thought this would be a cakewalk but boy was i so wrong!!!!!!

Trust me this is one of those gems that doesn't come too often.Every time I see something like this, I realize that I am so lucky to own an iphone!!

14. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Rob,

Do you have any plans to come out with a large resolution version for the iPad?

Michael

15. SimonWitton

SimonWitton Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    i heard on twitter that they are planning an iPad version, i hope that its the same version of the iPhone one, but bigger and the same app cus id hate to have to buy the same game twice.

16. PixelWrangler

I wrote the iPhone code with the iPad in mind, so it should be easy to adapt the app so that it uses the PC screen layout when played on the iPad. I haven't learned much yet about how the iPad app sales will work, but hopefully there will be just one app that only needs to be purchased once that can be played on the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

17. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    You have to finish one pack before buying another. Pack # 2 becomes available after you finish the Pack # 1. That way you don't spend $5 on 50 puzzles that you can't complete.

18. gatizo

gatizo Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I've been waiting for this one and boy was it worth the wait! Picked it up before work this morning and only had time to play a few levels but what I've seen so far is very polished, both in terms of looks and gameplay.

Kudos to lazy8 for a great game and more kudos for porting it to the iDevices. Just hope I can maintain my enthusiasm when frustration sets in at some of the trickier levels!

19. dustyu

dustyu Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Anyone else having trouble purchasing the In app content? I obtained all the stars from the first pack and attempted to purchase the 2nd, but I'm getting an error, This is not a Test User account when I enter my iTunes password. Also says, Environment: Sandbox?

The In App purchase is an unnecessary bother, would've rather just purchased the full game for $5.

20. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    This is a great game, but I don't like the whole in-app purchase setup either. I would rather just buy the whole thing at once...here here's $5 , no need to break it down like this, makes you wanna rush through the packs just so you can buy another, and if you get stuck on 1, just 1.. then you can't skip?