Universal Cogs (by Lazy 8 Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 27, 2010.

1. gatizo

gatizo Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I agree with you to a point, the difference being that I can delete and reinstall everything else that I have a license to use as long as I have it, even if it is pulled from sale or the developer shuts up shop. VisualHub is a prime example of this. Likewise music, even music with DRM. Although I have long since updated all mine to iTunes+, even before that I could delete it from my iPod then put it back on later and still listen to it, no problem.

With DLC, if I delete the app from my iPhone and reinstall it in the future, I can only get the other content I have paid for if it is still available for download, I won't have it on my computer to sync over. Seeing as apps can and do disappear at a moments notice, I don't like the thought of not being able to access what I bought.

I guess over time I'll just have to become used to DLC and learn to live with it — and let's face it, the DLC didn't deter me from snapping up Cogs and all the expansion packs ;)

2. iExist

iExist Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Could there be an update made whereby any DLC purchases can be synced? I also bought all of the expansion packs for COGs. I also don't mind the DLC idea in principle. If only some other games were DLC like Red Alert then I would have saved some cash. This game is excellent though.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This is exactly why I have often thought of iPod app purchases more as "rentals" than actual purchases, defending low (lower than consoles) prices. At any time the app could go away, advertisements could be added, and DLC/saves are all gone if you delete the app (unless you keep old backups around.)

I haven't spent a lot on DLC at the moment, most of my DLC purchases have been in Commodore 64. I would have bought everything for BaDaBoo, but the dev added advertisements that DON'T disable when you buy the DLC. :mad:

4. PixelWrangler

PixelWrangler Active Member

Cogs, DLC & DRM

I want to assure Cogs fans that the extra puzzle packs that you buy on one iDevice will transfer over to every other iDevice. As long as you're logging in with the same username, just go through the purchase process. At the last step, it will tell you that you already own that puzzle pack and it will unlock it for free. :) Technically, it's not actually DLC (DownLoadable content). The content is already there and just needs to be unlocked.

As for DRM, I figure this is as good a forum as any to post some opinions on the matter. In the cases where I can avoid it, I do. If you buy Cogs for the PC from GamersGate or Direct2Drive, the installer comes DRM-free. I'm personally of the opinion that piracy doesn't necessarily cut into sales. Sure, I recognize that a huge percentage of the copies of Cogs out in the wild are probably pirated (I know because I get support requests from people reporting errors that show up only in the pirated versions). But I also think that for most of those pirates, if they can't get the game for free, they won't get it at all. If that's really true, then from a business standpoint, it means that piracy expands visibility (which is more important for an indie studio than it is for a big studio with a massive advertising budget) without actually cutting into sales.

From my perspective, I want to make the price point low enough and the game easy enough to buy that it simply isn't worth the trouble and risk (viruses and trojans) of piracy.

All that being said, Steam is the one PC portal that offers Cogs with DRM and it comes with a lot of extra benefits -- it easily transfers to any other computer where you login to Steam and it gets updates instantly without you ever having to do anything.

- Rob
    Founder, Lazy 8 Studios
    Twitter | Facebook

5. gatizo

gatizo Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Hey Rob,

:p I'd already figured that out, since it opened immediately upon purchase!

Does this approach mean that you could, if you wanted, make the app a full standalone app in the future via an upgrade? Say you decided to stop supporting Cogs, could an update be released with all the "DLC" already unlocked meaning that it could be deleted and reinstalled later?

If this is possible (and I'm not talking about Cogs here, I mean in general), I think it would be a great reassurance for consumers who are uneasy about buying DLC, since they know they won't lose it at some point in the future.

@drelbs In my (not so humble) opinion, developers shouldn't be allowed to add advertising to paid apps, period. I refuse to be bombarded with ads in software I have paid for and have recently been given a refund for this very reason — the game Trax comes ad-supported despite being a paid app and this is not mentioned in its App Store description nor is it shown in the screenshots.

Sure, have an ad-supported app but make it clear this is what it is. If someone buys an app without ads I honestly believe they have the right to keep that app without ads. Just look at the furore over Shopper and you'll see that I am not alone in feeling this! Note that I'm not saying the buyer has the right to free updates and new features at no cost, just the right to the app as purchased. I really wish Apple would tighten up its App Store policies with respect to this!

6. So I bought the game last month and I loved the polish, but I was never convinced to buy levels. Now I'm going on a roadtrip, and I want to buy a pack. Which one is funnest, has the most exciting/coolest puzzles? Thanks

7. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Purely opinionated, I would recommend buying all of the packs, but if you don't want to do that it is very difficult to answer that question...

8. Symbolist

Symbolist Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Once was a writer; then AS became to overwhelming
    The result

Game is on two and a half star in the german app store. (17 one stars, 12 two stars, 16 three stars.)
    Result of DLC and selling the tutorial. Great work! :(

9. Ok, thanks

10. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    @Gatizo

I agree about paid apps and ads.

One thing that doesn't bother me is if I buy a game by let's say, freeverse: If they want to promote their own games in a "more games" section, that is completely cool.
    I just don't want an ad for crest toothpaste while I am playing the game (or even on the title screen - it cheapens the feel of the experience).

I am currently playing a game called "doodle bowling" by Game Resort.
    It's free but has ads covering up the top of the screen all of the time.
    It's understandable but I would LOVE to pay for a a version that gets rid of the ads and makes room for more visual from the game.

Same with the Flick Bowling II game. I bought it from day one instead of waiting for the "free" version. I gladly pay to avoid ads.

11. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Is this 64 bit?