Universal Coin Drop [by Full Fat Games] - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 19, 2011.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Is that not the point? It's basically a coin-pusher similar to physical Pachinko machines and all its western variations. They're all focused more on luck than skill yet remain insanely popular. There are apps like Coin Dozer which also emulate this gameplay, but those are focused on trying to squeeze real money out of the player via IAP, while Coin Drop is actually a real game we can enjoy.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, like I mentioned, I'm still enjoying this game very much and really like the variations as you move through the different worlds. Just pointing out how it differs from Peggle (which still has a bit of luck involved, but more skill in choosing your firing path).

3. Rollobobo

Rollobobo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Takeshi's Castle
    This game is easily becoming one of my favorite iOS games. Grab it people!

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Much to my surprise, because I thought the shaking would be an issue, I'm enjoying this game far, far more on the iPad (2) then on my iPhone. On the iPhone I really hate the shaking, but on the iPad 2, due to the larger screen, it isn't so disorienting and it's easier to do then I was expecting. So I give this game a thumbs up on the iPad, but am unsure about recommending it for the iPhone/iPod touch.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Does tilting make any difference or am I just imagining it allows me some fine tuning of my ricochets off the pins?

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think that's your imagination. I see no effect from tilting, only from shaking to bump things back up. It's all about aiming your drop, the angle bouncing off of things, and bumping.

7. Ishi

Ishi Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Yeah, tilting doesn't do anything. Doesn't stop my mum from tilting it like mad, though!

8. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Any word on when there'll be an update with new levels?

9. Ishi

Ishi Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Can't give any precise time, sorry. But we're back at work from the Easter break now and working hard on finishing the new levels off!

10. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Thanks for the reply Ishi. Even though you do not have any precise time would you be able to give us some details about what the 1st update will contain, like how many levels or themes there will be and whether the "shake" feature will be removed or an alternative implemented - something needs to be done about the shake feature as I have to agree with other people saying that they look like fools shaking their iPhones/iPods in public (just the other day I was on a plane and got weird looks for shaking my phone after a coin got stuck) plus there's also the added risk of kids breaking their iDevices after accidentally throwing them on the floor or even worse, through daddy's 50" HDTV :eek:

Out of over a hundred games I have to admit that Coin Drop! is one of the best games I've ever purchased. The amount of attention, ideas and polish that went into it make it a must have. Whilst a lot of people have made comparisons to Peggle (which I also own) I think that Coin Drop! is unique in it's own way - you've got to play both, and sit back afterwards from a distance whilst you make your comparisons, to understand. It's also a universal app, unlike Peggle - which has yet to make what would be an incredibly successful transition to the iPad. At only £0.59 it's also a bargain as opposed to Peggle's regular price of £1.79.

I'm hoping you guys don't ruin the great work with in-app purchases (instead of free updates) as some other notable developers have done. By the way, are you all based in the UK? If so, is your studio/office in London or are any of you guys from London?

Cheers and keep up the good work!

11. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Might I suggest a random level mode. Unlimited replay value :).

12. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    #112 DelBoy2181, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    I agree, some kind of random level generator (if possible) would be great.

Oh, and a level editor so that we can create and share/upload new levels would be awesome too :cool:

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    That would be so cool, i want to play this game forever.

14. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Could someone show the screenshot of GC achievement list?

15. Lance_TA

Lance_TA Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Yes i also fourth that ;), this random and the level editor, of course :D

16. CrispyDio

CrispyDio Member

May 4, 2011
    Hi all, Chris here.

Thanks for all of your continued feedback! As Craig has mentioned, we're back from our little break and are beavering away on the update.

We don't want to spoil the surprise by revealing too much about the update just yet, but I will say that you can expect more.

More levels, more music, more visuals, more coins, more fun, more shaking!

(Kidding about that last bit).

As for the random level creator, that would put me out of a job! Also, there are simply too many variables that would make this a nightmare to get right. If we were limited to just pins and Bad Pennies it'd perhaps be a possibility, but bricks, Girl Coins, knockables, magnets, lasers and the like would be impossible to get placed in adequate ways.

As for an actual in-game level editor, if it was possible to streamline the one I actually have to use in such a way that I could make levels on the device itself, trust me, I'd be all over it too! If I were to get Craig to do this he'd be working 24 hour days for the next six months :p

Unfortunately, you'll just have to leave the level creation in my hands - although feel free to provide ideas and napkin sketches for any levels you think would be fun as you never know... :)

17. Lance_TA

Lance_TA Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Ok i get the idea, we will leave the creativity to you. And that update seems like a major update to me intead of a normal one, cant wait for this really and addictive game to become even better. Addictive is the best way to describe this, indeed. Im trying to get 3 stars on every level but it seems almost impossible

18. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    #118 DelBoy2181, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    Thanks for the update Chris. I had a feeling that we were asking too much with regards to a random level generator and a level editor (the level editor thought came from Tiki Totems 2) given the complexity of Coin Drop!

It'd be interesting to see what new content you guys have come up with. One thing I'd like to see (and I'm sure other people would agree with me) is a graveyard/spooky theme with interactive elements like:

-Spinning spiders (or witches on broomsticks) at the top & mid-sections of the screen with some cool SFX.
    -Breakable tombstones (that release the odd bad penny or two when destroyed?)
    -Graves and/or trapdoors for coin slots at the bottom of the screen
    -Bouncy cobwebs that you can use as trampolines to alter the trajectories of coins.
    -A zombie coin skin (if that's not already in the game)
    -A dynamic background with ghosts fading in and out, rain, lightning, thunder, mist and a full moon.
    -A cartoony Frankenstein (complete with partially exposed brain and lightning rod sticking out the sides of his head) or zombie whose body parts can be gradually broken off by coin hits, similar to the robot in the laser levels
    -Shifting old tree branches that jut in and out of the screen.
    -Suitable creepy music or something that's a mix of the Addams Family and pseudo surround sound for the SFX for stuff like creaking doors/floorboards, shuffling feet, thunder, cackling witch laughter, wolf howls, zombie groans, etc - to be listened to with headphones of course.

I thinks that's all I can suggest at the moment but I think it'd be great if you guys could create some levels based on such a theme. It'd be a great update for Halloween but Halloween's too far away.

19. CrispyDio

CrispyDio Member

May 4, 2011
    There are some great ideas in there! You'll be pleased to know that more than one of those elements you've specified is already in the pipeline...

But I'll not reveal which ones as that'll be saying way too much ;)

Also, check out the Zombie Flick coin next time you're scrolling through the coin list!

20. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Great game, better than Peggle IMO. Can't wait for the update, also my 4 year old loves this one :)