iPhone Combat Monsters

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Rubicon, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't a fan of either of the War Game titles (I did buy both of them however) but I must say that this one has me intrigued. I am wondering about the strategy involved and how it is supposed to be like a card game. Is this more like a miniature combat game with cards or ore like a card game but with a digital representation of the combat? I'm interested and I know and respect the dedication you (Rubicon) and your team put into your games so I may grab this just on principle, but could you explain how the game plays in a bit more detail... Even from the videos I am not quite sure...

Edit: nevermind, I read the blog! Color me interested...

2. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #42 Rubicon, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    Thanks for the interest Bool.

You're right, this is actually a fairly original game, borne from two other familiar genres, and we need to try harder to get the message across about how you play the damn thing.

Short version, you make a deck like you would in a game like magic:the gathering, with all the nuances you'd expect from that stuff, and then use that deck to summon monsters and equipment, spells, etc. onto a battlefield where a more recognisable rpg-style ruck happens, using moveable game pieces rather than just some cards in a line.

Here's an older blog post about it: http://www.rubicondev.com/blog/combat-monsters-so-what-is-it-anyway-and-why-do-i-want-it/. The main thing that's changed since is that online play now has a realtime option too. That rocks! :)

I'm gonna have our resident wordsmith work up a better description for when our webpage goes live which should be in a couple of days. I'll pass your feedback along as it's been most helpful, thanks.

3. Meslomeslo

Meslomeslo Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wow, this game look fun! Is it a pocket rpg game?

4. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    You mean a crescent moon game? No, this is entirely our own endeavour.

5. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Pc beta out now

If you can't wait for the iOS version, we're running a Beta for PC right now - because it's easier to fix stuff and turn it around quick.

Try it here for free: www.rubicondev.com/combatmonsters

Here's a review of it from a very quick on the move reviewer.

btw, this IS what it will look like on mobile. :)

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Im pretty amped for this. Reminds me a bit of Neuroshima Hex, from the board, and the cards, but the actual combat is done through an SRPG style, similar to GBWG.

Looks pretty solid.

i gots 2 questeeonz!

1. Multiplayer? (i think iknow the answer to this but i want to make sure :))
    2. Any date for release yet?

7. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Good to hear. :)

Yes, it's mainly multiplayer although there are single player options.

It obviously depends on how the Beta goes, but we're planning to get all mobile versions out by the end of september. Accounts made during beta will keep their decks, cards, coins etc when the game goes final, and will transfer between all support formats with no hassle.

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Sweet! Might give it a try over the weekend.

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is really tons of fun! The public beta is open on Rubicon's website.

Asynch is not up yet, but real time multiplayer works great if you can get a match, and the single player is fun and challenging. The AI has favorable terrain and better cards of course.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    How's the progress? Close to submission yet?

11. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    The final PC Beta just went live, same link.

The mobile version will look like this when we submit it, as we're not planning on any more changes unless some major shit went wrong.

Aiming at a release on iOS near the end of the month, submitting soon.

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am beta testing this on the PC (no beta for IOS version due to apple restrictions). (Open beta, easy to download at Rubicon's site). Its Hero Academy/Outwitters + Magic the Gathering style card collecting with realtime turns. Asynch might be added later. Its very well done and very addictive to collect the cards. I'm strongly recommending it for fans of Hero Academy/Outwitters, including those that wanted real time in those games.

Its free, and everything can be earned by playing although there is IAP if your in a hurry. However, the trippler ($2.99) is more or less required if you want to build a top line deck within any kind of reasonable period. View it as a $2.99 game that is free to try. If you do spend the $2.99, people that spend $49.99 on IAP on day 1 are going to be annoying for a few weeks while you build a deck that can compete with them, but its not a permanent advantage.

FN: Its actually very similar to Odd Squad, except that Odd Squad was rushed and completely lacking in polish, as well as basic functionality, whereas CM looks like it will be a top notch release like all Rubicon games. And CM is realtime, whereas Odd Squad was asynch.

13. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Really looking forward to this.....probably the only game I even care about in the foreseeable future, other than Autumn Dynasty Warlords of course!

14. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Nice one, twenty one.

We have an official release date now - next wednesday (Oct 23rd)

And here is a very cheesy video.

15. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Haha! Tune is great!

16. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    AWESOME! Can't wait to play....thanks again, Paul!

17. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Can't wait to try this, little disappointed that its free but going by past rubicon games I'll give them the chance the deserve.
    This looks great though.

18. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Wednesday can't come quickly enough. I had tried getting into digital CCGs but found that they hadn't modernized to take advantage of the digitalization. This looks awesome.

19. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Its really good. You can get the release build (beta 8) for your pc here. http://www.rubicondev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1604

Do it and get a head start on the single player campaign, which yields some cards and coins, and you'll have a head start on folks for Wednesday (progress from Beta will carry over).

I enjoy it on the pc, and it should be great on the ipad too. Not too sure how well it will work on smaller screens though. The maps are either the same or a little bigger than Hero Academy, but there is a much greater need to pull up the unit information regularly than with Hero Academy. No idea if the interface will be up to that. Rubicon is very good, but it just seems like a tough challenge for them.

20. Mycroft

Mycroft Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    U.S.A.
    That is a good post and thread by ArtNJ, thanks for the link! :)

Going to pick this up for the iPad, this looks like it'll be in my wheelhouse with asynchronous multiplayer. :cool: