Universal Commander Pixman (by One Minute Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 28, 2011.

1. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    So because I love you I bought it.

Because you love me, will you make it universal?

2. OneMinuteGames

OneMinuteGames Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    @Sanuku: thanks for your video!

Nice to see how you perform. With my own experience I could say that I specifically made the last level the hardest one ;) I can't wait for your experiences about it.

@writingsama: I would like to make an Universal version. I'll do it when I get my own iPad. Strong Commander Pixman sales will help ;)

I'm thinking also about something else... "Lite" version is planned too ( in couple of weeks I think ) with about 20 levels ) What do you think about putting a Mac version of this 'lite' version too ?

3. dylanmannen

dylanmannen Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    sweden
    I think bigger uppdates is better. but pls uppdate gamecenter asap xD want to get some achivements :D

4. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    So try to complete missions, they will be converted into game center achievements when update will come!

5. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    @arta: Thanks for the nice review! Some more about "jetpack jumping" -> I'm still thinking to fix it in the next little update. My only concern is level timings - hope not to ruin them by such a small change!

SO, concluding I think there is plans for next two updates:

1.0.1 ( very soon ):
    + Fixed: bug on level 21 when Pixman could touch the roof and 'stick' to it.
    + Fixed: sliding extra levels screen after selecting 'locked' level will show info about it every time we want to slide.
    + Multiple small fixes and changes that you wouldn't notice ;)
    + (Maybe) improved jumping experience.

1.1.0:
    + 20 new levels ( including 5 new extra levels )
    + 5 new missions
    + Optional ghost with best time in game
    + Game Center integration ( most likely... )

Near Future:
    + Not only new levels but also new traps/enemies to avoid and/or destroy
    + iPad universal support
    + iCade/iControlPad support

Please post your ideas here, discuss. I want game for gamers and fans, not only for myself ;)

6. Chaz42

Chaz42 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Michigan!
    20 levels for a lite version?! seems like alot.. I say like 15. and it really needs it so the timer starts when you touch a button. Not just automatically.

7. D_Nowitzki

D_Nowitzki Guest

I don't mind the "jetpack jumping". Gives the game a unique feel.

8. Chaz42

Chaz42 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Michigan!
    An option for jetpack jumping then?!

9. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    GAAAAAH!!! I still can't get three stars on level 13. I've got three stars on EVERY OTHER LEVEL. Is there some sort of trick I'm missing?

10. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    #71 coderkid, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    I am so psyched to hear that. Is there any thing I can sign up to for updates?

But anyway, back in the case of Commander Pixman: One word -AWESOME. I love it, despite the fact that it's so punishing. I've hit the 50 death max so far (I think? xD) BUT I still love it. This might have to do with the fact that I've played Mos Speedrun and League of Evil, which I can see you've (maybe?) taken inspiration from in UI menu design. Love the game, still beating it in just "complete level" mode! I know it's gonna be tons harder when I finish completing levels and go back for fastest times and enemy kills. Great game, but probably not for casual gamers.

11. poutini

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    Alas, no. I've hit 250 on level 13. And I still haven't passed it.

12. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    @coderkid: Thanks! About level-selection menu: Well, there is not many "good" ways to do a level-selection menu :)

@putini: You can't beat it at all, or you can't get 3 stars from it ? My tip: jump over first monster ( doesn't matter if that one on the left or right, level is "symmetrical" ) and when you climb those platforms - skip the last one and jump to the top directly from this second from top. Hope this help...

1.0.1 bugfix update should be submitted today or tommorow - and I'm still wondering about fixing jumping...

13. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    What kind of bugfix? Is it for the red screen/timer?

14. poutini

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    I couldn't get three stars. It's weird, I was doing all my jumps exactly how you said, but once I read your description, I went back to it and got 5.2 first try.

15. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Any tips on how to complete the 12th mission (get a badge on level 42 in 13 seconds)? I just don't see how it's possible to kill the last enemy and reach the exit in the brief span of time after the last piston rises but before the spikes at the end do. If that's really what you have to do, this mission is much harder than anything else currently in the game (excluding, possibly, one of the last three missions/extra levels).

16. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    @woohooII: It is entirely possible to do that in 13 seconds ;) I've done it right now in about 30 tries. Of course it is hard - I think one tip could help you: just before the exit, when you are on 'hidden spikes', jump slightly to get over them when they show up - if you are lucky, you could jump over right to the teleporting zone.... My time was 12.52. And one more thing - do not wait after you kill last 'double gunner' - jump right after into the hidden spikes.

@coderkid: What do you mean by "red screen - timer" ? If you mean about starting timer right after the game start and not after some 'move' - it is not so easy. It is mainly because of replays - If timer starts after movement - every 'ghost' could have a different 'real' start time - and what about moving monsters/other things ? Time have to be 'synchronized', Other thing - replays won't be so 'nice' to watch, since every time, every ghost will start at the same time - they will go as 'one' for a brief time before some jump or other thing. But maybe I could figure something out, for example different timer for gameplay, and different for 'game mechanic' We will see - but in later updates, sorry. Also I know this is a bigger issue on older devices - they doesn't load levels very fast, so delay is bigger.

17. poutini

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    Have you played mos speedrun? It's got great replays and player-activated start times. The world is frozen until you press your finger down, at which point your character and all enemies begin to move.

18. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Finally finished mission 12. I had tried jumping at the end before, but it hadn't helped, possibly because I hit the spikes on the ceiling.

After that, the last three missions seemed easy. I got all the stars and badges for now, but it sounds like things will get even harder when the first content update is released.

19. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    @poutini - in early versions of Commander Pixman, timer and world was frozen before start. But I thought that doesn't looks quite good, and there is still a "problem" with simultaneous ghosts. On the other hand - Super Meat Boy, have similar behavior like Commander Pixman. Hmm, I need to think about it. Maybe some other voices ? I want to know what you think.

@woohoo - Whoa, all the stars and badges already?! I'm impressed, really ;) Anyone else beat the game ?