iPhone Companions - Dungeon-Crawler/RPG by smuttlewerk interactive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by smuttlegiaco, May 26, 2011.

1. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Well I am not a fan of the facing mechanic. An enemy has a circle of detection radius, but the character does not?

2. ZugZug

ZugZug Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    #42 ZugZug, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    We are both entitled to want different things. I maybe in the minority but I kinda like both the turning mechanic and the tactical pause. I think they fit nicely into this game.

3. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #43 smuttlegiaco, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    @ZugZug: formations and group move are being implemented as we speak :)

@jsrco: I understand. I guess we will implement auto response to enemy ranged attacks, but optional. Many players like the thrill of having to be alert and micromanage their caracters.

@markus: thx for your advice (I see you edited your potst):). I should have thought of this earlier.

thank you all!

crazy stuff: just got home and fired up AppAnnie...and my old worn eyes can't believe it: we're deemed new & noteworthy (roleplaying: germany, u.k. and u.s. and action: germany and u.k.)!!! well, I'm happy now. :)

4. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    Heyho! Now I am waiting for the iphone release! ^_________^

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

6. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Nice work Sanuku, thx alot! Can't wait to see the campaign video!

I watched the video and caught myself tring to control the characters. :D

@Tyra: that'll have to wait for awhile. Join us at facebook and you'll be up to date.

7. rozetta

rozetta Active Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Anti Virus research
    Helsinki
    After having this game for the weekend, I thought I'd post a quick review, since there doesn't seem to be any here. I'm probably not that far into the game yet, since I didn't have a lot of time to play. Also, I started the game with the hardest difficulty settings (as I do with any game), so I've been needing to restart sections over quite a fair bit!

This game has a few elements to it, making it a mix of different genres. It initially feels very rogue-like, but with a much faster pace. The RPG elements make the game very much more, though (I tend to find most rogue-like games rather simplistic). Once you start on the multi-party combat system, it feels a similar to something like BattleHeart. However, it's a lot less "arcade style" and more strategic, with the tactical pause, making it feel a little like Dragon Age.

The controls are well thought-out and can be learned quickly. Things that aren't trained during the tutorial become apparently rather quickly, like double-tapping a potion to drink it. Control is responsive. I really like the zoom-out feature. This is certainly a game that was developed specifically with the iPad in mind, since it really needs the large screen.

The graphics are nice. The combat effects are pretty looking. The graphics really show you everything you need to know, such as crits, healing, damage dealt and received and so on. Everything is really crisp and clear and the menus and dialogs are well designed.

The maps are huge - much larger than I was expecting. There's plenty of exploration to do and plenty of mobs to kill.

The difficulty level (at least from the perspective of playing on hard mode) is good. The game has been pretty challenging so far.

As I said, I'm not that far into the game, but I'm giving this game my vote. I highly recommend it.

Here's a list of things I'd like to see as I progress (or as feature requests should they not yet be implemented):

- It would be nice if the game would pause while a dialog is being shown. I have been owned by mobs while reading the dialogs and not realizing that enemies were bearing down on me at the same time.

- The ability to enhance equipment. This is always a nice addition to a game that implements random loot. Drops (such as runes or scrolls) could be implemented that can be applied to equipment to improve it.

- I like the wands that can be equipped by the mage to add additional spells. I hope to find similar items for the other classes (such as trinkets, etc)

- I feel that the control of the dwarf is a little clumsy feeling, especially having to spend time creating traps. I can't kite mobs and place traps very easily due to the slow speed of the caster, so I end up meleeing a lot. This is just a minor observation, and mostly I guess it's me needing to l2p.

- As stated earlier, a game like this with randomized maps and an infinitely deep dungeon to explore (with a hardcore mode such that as you lose team members, they stay dead) would be pure win, especially if the loot drops would scale with the dungeon.

Anyway, keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to any future content updates! I find that companies often spend a little too long generating content updates for games, and such, most players have moved onto something new by the time they arrive. If you can generate new content quick enough it'll keep people playing and probably bring more people in. (Look at "Bug Heroes" for an example of how content updates should be handled.)

8. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    noted. will be fixed.

we talked about such a feature a while back. I dunno if it really comes, but we promise to think about it again.

you will find a others.;) and more will be added with the next update.

do you think a 1 second build time for traps would remedy this situation for you?

you are right with your estimation. our game would become über-huge with such a feature. but it'll take time to implement this stuff. we are two guys after all. not in the next update, but I REALLY like this idea.

thank you for your detailled review.

we try our best in generating new and more content, but it's difficult to get this done quickly. We have to manage marketing, the concept and design our second game, updates (like the group formation) and new content. but we will do our best to get new stuff out as fast as we can.

9. Movementcat

Movementcat Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    For Randomized Maps like Rogue where you can go deeper and deeper i would Pay 2-3 € IAP.

10. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Mee to :)

11. Movementcat

Movementcat Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Hey :) i heart something from an Update, maybe some leaked news for us :D

12. Struan73

Struan73 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Damn

Hi all,
    I think this Game is pretty cool, has very interesting Design structures and nice poduction values. honestly the only Thing I don't like is the (for me) hefty difficulty Even in the Tutorial. I have eben Beaten quite badly at the Final Test.

Struan73

13. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #53 smuttlegiaco, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
    hi friends,

the update is coming along nicely, you will have group movement and even formations (which you can configure yourself)!
    other stuff will be added also, like new items etc.

@struan73: the player will always die at the end of the tutorial. once you played it and died, you can play again, skipping the first part and start with the battle. it's all about highscore on the tutorial map! hope that makes it less frustrating.

14. Struan73

Jan 2, 2009
    Thank you. Well, I forgot that this was a separate menue item. I - for whatever reason - thought, that I will be guided to the missions, after (successfully) finished the tutorial.
    Struan73

PS: Ich bin wirklich beeindruckt. Ich hoffe, dass Ihr Eure benötigten Verkäufe zusammenbekommt. Wäre sonst echt schade.

15. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @struan73: danke! your question made us think more earnestly about an FAQ on our Blog.:rolleyes:

and by the way, friends, the drinks are on me: we are featured as New & Noteworthy in the US App Store! :):):)

thank you all for your support and keep questions and feedback coming!:)

16. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Congratulations on being featured in the the new & noteworthy section! I hope this equals more sales and lots of success for you. :)

17. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    thanks ojtitus! I was really shocked when I discovered it on friday evening. :)

We just started a contest HERE .

All of you who supported us right from the beginning: feel free to join in!:)

You have the chance to win 333$!:cool:

18. Struan73

Jan 2, 2009
    Article

Hi all,

the famous RPG network rpgwatch.com has posted on saturday a small article about companions with a few youtube videos. Follow the link:

http://rpgwatch.com/#17412

Struan

19. rozetta

rozetta Active Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Anti Virus research
    Helsinki
    do you think a 1 second build time for traps would remedy this situation for you?

This only really applies to the tutorial and beginning of the game before you have access to multiple characters in a party. Basically, if you don't setup all your traps before the enemies are coming at you, you can't really do much once they're chasing you around.

As an aside, I've been playing on the hardest difficulty and I simply find myself building traps everywhere, since once I do encounter enemies, I have to retreat all my characters back past the already set traps in order to not get overwhelmed immediately. This means that I'm essentially tiptoeing through the dungeon a few steps at a time waiting for the cooldowns to end on each trap before moving on. Perhaps removing the cooldowns on the traps when not in combat would be good.

20. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    when the next update is expected?