iPhone Companions - Dungeon-Crawler/RPG by smuttlewerk interactive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by smuttlegiaco, May 26, 2011.

1. joaovc

joaovc Member

Oct 9, 2009
    researcher
    Lisbon
    Bought it after reading about it in rpgwatch. Very cool game. Looks like a serious wrpg for the iPad. The trap building dwarf is a great character.

2. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @rozetta:

Have you already found the "Gloves of the Craftsman"? We will do a pretty similar item (or items) for traps. It'll lower the cooldown. This one will make it into the next update.

@Rivozzz: 2-3 weeks, depending on the workload we have and the stuff we chose to integrate.

@joaovc & struan: thank you guys!

If you havn't heard about it yet, we started a contest and everyone who bought or will buy the game may participate. The only thing you need is a paypal account. Here's the link to the thread!

3. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Hi guys,

what you see here is a nearly finalized version of the new group movement and formations menu.

You can change the orientation of the characters and the group formation within the the different groups.

The shields at the character portraits show which character is in which group and which of the groups is currently activated (by blinking white).

[​IMG]

This button let you select the four characters all at once.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two green buttons let you switch between formation and rotation mode.

[​IMG]

The big blue button enables the group formation menu.

I hope you'll like it. If you'd like to see something altered or enhanced feel free to propose it to us.

Have fun!!:)

PS: Don't forget to join the contest we started. A chance to win 333$! Check it out here.

4. rozetta

rozetta Active Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Anti Virus research
    Helsinki
    That formation UI looks really nice! It seems pretty configurable, so I don't have any comments on it (until I try it in-game). Very efficient work, and I'm looking forward to the update!

(I do have Gloves of the Craftsman, I appear to have equipped something else, though. I'll give those a try later. Thanks for the advice! I guess I should read the tooltips a bit more, eh ;) )

5. ressique

ressique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    Great update! With the formations the game will be very lovely

6. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
  7. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Can anyone compare the gameplay with that of the classic RPG Baldur's Gate/BG2 games? I understand this is not an RPG in the traditional sense (I.e. Does not seem plot focused) but I have really been missing the deep combat of BG/2 and haven't found anything quite so deep for iPad or even 360.

The tactical/pausing combat advertised in Companions combined with the fantasy setting made me think there could be similarities. Anyone care to comment?

8. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Hmm this does not feel like Baldur's gate style combat to me. It feels more like a fantasy tactical board game. Facing, skills, positioning, all are important. The storyline is pretty fun so far too, and there's nothing else quite like it.

I'd say give it a try, its worth buying.

Rixx

9. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I am loving this game, as well. However, I also vote for randomized content for infinite replayability.

The only other thing I would suggest is a prefix/suffix loot system with varying levels of rarity (a la diablo). It's the treasure hunting that keeps people playing that very old game, not the content. Give us something to dig for and we will dig in droves. We just cant help ourselves...

10. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @Ubisububi: we are already working on a random map generator. it will be quite a while until its finished (and it will not be for free) but we add more content on the way to make the game larger as it already is. The prefix/suffix system will most likely not come, I'm sorry. But fear not: there will be more loot for all you packrats!:D

Update on our update:

- we improved inventory handling. you can now drag&drop items on the portrait of characters standing next to the active character. No more drop on the floor, go away and take it with another character stuff. :D

- 6 new unique armors and "Book of the Ambusher" integrated

the update should be read next week. we do a littly more playtesting and then upload to apple.

11. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    hows the update coming along? did you manage to lower the firmware requirement??

12. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #72 smuttlegiaco, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    yes we did lower the requirements. I sent you a PM, have a look.

I am currently fine tuning the new single map. we do a little more playtesting and upload at the beginning of the next week.

13. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    good morning!

we uploaded version 1.01 to apple yesterday evening. here's the list of what we've done:

Core Play Elements

• group move and formations
    • better item handling. You can now DRAG&DROP items on player portraits (if the characters are adjacent to each other; a small bag will appear at the character portraits)
    • if you leave a single map using "Leave Game" in the options menu, the map will be SAVED. A "Continue" button appears at the bottom of the "Single Map" screen, so you can resume the map; if you die, the save will be deleted!
    • Tooltips don't appear where your finger is any longer
    • 4.2.1 compatibility

New Stuff

• new items (unique armors, Book of the Ambusher)
    • new single map "Elemental Assault"

Fixes

• campaign menu crash: fixed a bug that crashed the game when using specific keyboard settings (only standard western settings may be used to name your save game or characters); corrupted save games will be renamed in order to work again!
    • autosave added in map 2 (Freddy now drops the items when you connect with the App Store and an autosave occurs right after that)
    • save point on map 4 corrected (it now saves after the bridge is created)
    • several minor fixes

14. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    It's a great game! i keep dieing, but I'm still having fun!!
    you guys did a great job!

15. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    The update is out! :)

I just released the new version! Enjoy!!

16. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    no any .99 sales for independence day??;):eek:

17. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    hey rivozzz,

if we had 15+ games out there, like EA or Gameloft, we probably would lower the price of a few (or even all) of our games to 0,99$. As it is, Companions is our first title and we just couldn't afford to "loose" so much money...

BUT, we also have no other chance than to react to the price drops happening all around us, because if we don't do it, we just earn next to nothing.

So, tell everyone you know that Companions price will be lowered tomorrow for three days (saturday, sunday and monday) to 2.99$ (argh, it hurts) for the sake of selling at least a few copies.

help us gain a good rank and we promise to produce high quality games for you in the future!

BTW: check out our next project "Time of Heroes"

18. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    Great News will be buying then ! there is a explosion of sales on appstore which makes it difficult which game to choose !!

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Is this any good?

20. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    well i dont know but from the screenshots and video i have a great feelings its a great game ..thats why i was holding till sale or a lite version..