CONFESSION: I play iPhone games a ton more than console games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bgribin, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #41 Omega-F, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    The amount of "hardcore gamers" is still pretty significant, I mean, Modern Warfare 2 sold what? 12 millions of copies in just a couple of months?

Like I mentioned earlier (and in similar threads), the only people who would prefer to use their iPhones/iPods strictly as gaming devices are the people who don't have the money to afford a $60 game for the other platforms (or even a $30 for DS), so they are stuck with $0.99 apps that may give them value for their buck, but no way in hell you can replace them for a true gaming experience found in the other systems.

I really, really, really find almost impossible to believe that anyone would rather play NOVA, or Minigore or pretty much anything else than a game like Assassin's Creed 2, Mario Galaxy, Batman AA, Mass Effect 2, Left 4 Dead, etc.

The irony here is that the same people who say "Yeah my consoles are gathering dust" are the people who implore iPhone developers to make clones of games found on those consoles.

2. CioCio

CioCio Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    #42 CioCio, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    I've actually found myself playing my iPhone a lot less lately. One of the reasons is this is a pretty good time for console gaming, with BioShock 2 and Mass Effect 2 just having come out, as well as titles like God of War III (WOOHOO!) and Final Fantasy XIII right around the corner. Another of the reasons is it seems the big titles lately for the iPhone are either remakes of older games or just simplified versions of games of which there are much, much better examples of on consoles. For example, I doubt there are too many people who would honestly rather play NOVA or Sandstorm than the big name FPSs on consoles. And why would I play GT Racing when I could play Forza Motorsport 3, or even Gran Turismo 5 when it's released later this year? For me, where the iPhone excels are the unique titles and genres not exclusive to but make grander appearances on the iPhone anyways. Like Isotope and sidescrolling platformers that honestly don't need the big budgets behind them like games on consoles do, and instead the passion of small developers inject enough personality for a superb experience.

I'm not a big fan of Gameloft for these reasons. I buy their titles, but I'm not exactly sure why. Like why did I buy Ravensword when I still have Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, and Fable 2 to play?

This is kind of my entire post, but stated succinctly and nicer. It's like, "Sorry, Guerilla Bob, off you go!" now that BioShock 2 is out!

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    True, but not everybody who plays MW2 is a hardcore gamer. The game has become just as much a mainstream and casual attraction as Madden and GTA.

Anywhoo, I do play my iPod Touch a lot. But as soon as a game I want comes out on consoles(ME2 for instance), I completely forget about my iPod. The games on the iPod are fun, but nothing on it compares to epic AAA titles on consoles.

And as such, the iPod would never make any console of my gather dust. The only thing that makes my consoles gather dust is if no games that are of my interest come out.

4. donner

donner Well-Known Member

It all depends on what kind of gamer you are, and what your lifestyle is. I LOVE TBS games, so for me to have Battle for Wesnoth and the just released Military Madness my iphone puts it ahead of my other devices. Plus I love having these 'hardcore' games with me at all times.

Unfortunately the iphone lacks the library of stellar RPG's at the moment, but when it does I will kiss my DS goodbye. I'm really only holding on to it for advance wars and FFIV.

Obviously if you're a FPS fan the iphone is not the end all device for you - that would be stupid. But I'm so tired of people equating FPS gaming with 'hardcore' gaming. Its just not the case. To me an old school SNES RPG or even Nethack is WAAAAAY more hardcore than any FPS ive played. But I guess people consider mindless blood and guts to be more hardcore than a game that actually challenges your brain.

Per

5. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    yes i play my touch more than any console- in fact, the newest console ive got is a PS2

6. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I am a TBS fan too!
    Sorry to take this thread a bit off topic, but... how is Rogue Planet for a TBS?

I am not a hardcore TBS fan, BfW is a bit too much for me I guess...

as U like Advanced Wars, did You get Mecho Wars ?
    I did very recently, apart from the annoying flashing banners.... the game is amazing for the 99 cents :cool:

7. Draycon

Draycon Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I imagine it depends on what stage of life you are in. I've been a hardcore gamer for most of my life. I beat Mario at the age of two.

I now work 40 hours a week, my wife is about to have a baby, and I have a lot of other activities that I try and fit in. For me, the ipod touch offers me the chance to game on the go, and in situations where I couldn't have my DS or PSP out without looking odd.

There is something in each avenue I enjoy, so I own everything... well minus a PSP GO... but come on now, in all seriousness...

I have spurts where I will play Half Life 2, Halo, Final Fantasy XII, or a Harvest Moon (which I currently am doing), but overall my Ipod, and eventually Ipad, will generally take the place of my previous console heavy gaming.

8. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    For me, nothing beats the experience of a true full game you play on a console or PC. I'm playing Mass Effect 2 on my Xbox 360 and Baldur's Gate on my PC (yes an old game) and nothing on the iPhone can match those experiences. I own all three consoles and I am married with a job and going to school full time, so it can be done. I guess I'm lucky that I have a wife who is cool with me playing games in my free time (I have a lot of friends who only get away with gaming when their wives are asleep or at work/school).

What iPhone gaming has done for me is add gaming to siuations where I couldn't before. Now I can play games in line at the store, in the doctor's office waiting room and so on.

With that said, iPhone games have NOT replaced my console gaming and I doubt ever will.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I got you. The Xbox 360 and or PC can create an "Experience", you're there at the football game or in the dungeon with nifty surround sound and whiz bang graphics. As fun as Flight Control can be do you really ever BELIEVE your in some flight tower directing planes?

iPhone games tend to be on the light and minimalistic side. While they can have some far superior graphics to your old C64, I think many of the games have about that same sophistication (another reason why Sword of Fargoal is so perfect for the iPhone).

So, basically, this is the perfect platform for "mobile casual gaming". Kill a few minutes or an hour with a plethora of light fluffiness while on the go.

10. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I play age of empires 3 on my pc, Games like red conquest are a good mobile rts, but they will never compare to a pc rts.

11. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The only game that I play besides my iPhone games is Dragon Age: Origins for the Mac OS. And at the rate I play games that should keep me busy for months.

The App Store is the most dynamic place for gaming right now, bar anywhere, in terms of creativity, variety, and the sheer amount of excellent games. Some genres such as RPGs and Shooters and most multiplayer action are best experienced on the PC or console, but for almost everything else the iPhone OS rules. If you don't believe that yet, just wait a few months because more and more developers and resources are targeting the App Store. And that includes big-time resources and game studios.

I could also see the iPad developing as a very nice platform for games once there is a large enough installed base to attract exclusive or customized titles that will take advantage of the greater processing power and larger display. Just to take one example, adventure games such as Broken Sword are going to be very nice with the larger display size of the iPad.

They've already got the Unreal Engine running on an iPhone 3gs, so I think that the iPad will be capable of really nice graphics once the developers devote the resources to take advantage of it. It may not be like Modern Warfare 2 on the X360, but it should be a lot closer to that than anything we've seen so far on the App Store.

12. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    For me, money isn't the issue. I just tire of the games I already have. I beat Super Mario Galaxy with around 80 stars, and I didn't feel compelled to get the rest. Wii games are lacking right now, and it's my only system... I have L4D on my PC, but the online play is so frustrating I just gave up. Pretty much ALL the DS games are boring now. I have a flash card, and my Touch completely replaced my DS with infinite games. I would get better games (MW2, Mass Effect , Borderlands, Fallout 3, etc.) but my PC isn't powerful enough and I can't afford a 360 at the moment.

13. Latley since all these good game have been released for the XBox I have been more into console gaming, especially with my crazy Modern Warfare addiction, but before the holidays it was all abouy the iPod Touch.

14. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    i think you are pretty wrong about this. the money is completely NOT this issue for me. i just find iphone games more enjoyable. you can play them for just a quick minute anywhere you go. and there is just so much variety. with 4 AP classes next year, im not gonna have any time to load up my console and play for an hour. but i will have time to load up battle blasters or space miner for 5 minutes. ya know.

15. Syao

Syao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I just got my iPod touch, but seriously the battery lasts for like.. 3 hours max when playing games. That's REALLY disappointing

16. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    ummmm.... plug it in. how long do consoles last without being plugged in, eh?:rolleyes:

17. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Well put, I think this is what it comes down to. When we're young, we have tons of time but hardly any money. When we're grown, it's the reverse.

I'm old enough to have grown up around arcade games, where there was always something new and quirky to try @0.25 a pop. The App Store is perfect for these quick hits and there's plenty of variety. Touch ARCADE captures that spirit nicely, especially with the little space invader logo.

I have all the big-boy consoles, and money isn't an issue. I simply have very little time to get into massive multi-hour epic quests with everything else going on in my life, but I do have time to catch little handheld games that keep me busy during down times. The variety in the App Store is rivaled only by XBLA, WiiWare, and PSN, but there's so much more activity on the iPhone platform.

18. donner

donner Well-Known Member

I dont think the iphone should ever be expected to replace a home console such as xbox or ps3. Its a completely different experience.

But my iphone has replaced my ds and psp. As far as handheld/mobile gaming is concerned I think the iphone is quickly eclipsing both the DS and PSP. First its more portalbe - which is a big deal. And the variety and number of games kills anything the DS or PSP has to offer.

For now, the iphone KILLS the competition as far as casual gaming goes, no question. And there is the possibility of it becoming more of a place for hardcore games, but there is still some catching up to do in that department.

19. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    #59 starmonkey101, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    yep. ur kinda right. i think that the psp will soon be irrelevant. the ds is perfect for the young'uns. the psp and the iphone are suited for more mature and intelligent audiences imo. but, the iphone is superior in terms of amount of games and price and portability. so i see the both the ds and iphone prevailing over the psp. and i still see the console games being part of the gaming environment, but i truly believe they will be surpassed by portable gaming. i mean, who want to sit down for 2 hours to play a game than play a quickie a few times a day. at least that is how i think. personally, i was gonna pick up super mario galaxy 2 when i arrived. i loved super mario galaxy and i was desperate for the sequel. however, i dont have the time or incentive to get it now. there are so many good games that come out every month on the iphone to suit me. sorry nintendo.

20. ttursas

ttursas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Nope

Nope. I've played Bayonetta on my XBox360 more than all iPhone & iPod Touch games combined (if you don't count my own games). And that's just one game...