iPad Corpse Party (by 5pb.Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 13, 2014.

1. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I would have bought this if it were universal but I'm not paying that kind of money to play an iPhone game on my iPad. If they charge premium prices they should deliver a product that's been developed to premium standards and that includes utilising as much of ear target platform capability as possible.

This just seems like a very lazy port to me.

2. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Price is high for English translation only!

3. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    How does it look on ipad?

4. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    It never gets old seeing a 7 page thread on a game consist almost solely complaints about the pricing structure. Ironically similar to most threads for F2P games.

Would love to hear some impressions based on the iOS version. Games like this almost never cross the waters to the UK some I'm very interested.

5. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    As this games seems is not for ipad, really is not worth the money, thats a shame, this game is played on pc also, at least someome can make the charity of trying it on ipad

6. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I hate to add to the LOLZ 2 XPENSIVE bitching - really, I do - but I read a Let's Play for the PSP version of this and I, uh, wasn't terribly impressed. Bargain basement J-horror; get five dull jump-scare clichés for the price of one! It's not bad as such but it's not a twenty dollar game - Banshee's Last Cry is a far better port, a far more interesting take on the same kind of material and far better value for money. I bought Monster Hunter and I'd love to get Dual Destinies and I'd love to pay full whack for a decent visual novel-type game, but from what I've seen, this isn't one.

(And hey, 5pb; it wouldn't seem like quite such a kick in the teeth if the Japanese version wasn't currently on sale for a third of this price.)

7. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    Someone try this on ipad please

8. Desertking24

Desertking24 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    My only complaint is the price since the psp version is still $2 cheaper but in my state I get online sales (which is something Sony somehow bypass) so really is have to pay about $24 for this as opposed to $19.99 on the psn. I have heard it's going to be on steam but I'm curious how much that's going to cost.

9. TheRybka

TheRybka Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2013
    $22 for a game that looks like it was made in RPG Maker.

Mm. Yeah. Okay.

10. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    This game was released when 16-bit computers were becoming popular in Japan, in other words pre-2000. This game probably invented all of those cliches.

11. Touchdoku

Touchdoku Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Unemployed
    Norway
    #71 Touchdoku, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    The original game was made in RPG Maker. The PSP remake that this is ported from was not. It uses custom engine.

This is a Japanese survival horror dōjin soft game so prob not for everybody

The price tag is around equal to the PSN version.

12. I like the style and the story is great and very dark :)
    It is pricey but it might come down in price you never know !

13. KillerSpecialK

KillerSpecialK Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Midwest
    #73 KillerSpecialK, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Wow, this being released on iOS in English is awesome!

I bought and played through the majority of this on my PSP till my PSP decided to die, and I gotta say this game is stellar.

I wouldn't call it a visual novel, more like a horror adventure game. It allows you to explore the school, it's just text heavy. Visual novels usually give you no control except for text based desicion making. So to call it a visual novel is kinda misleading. It is very text heavy though.

If your a fan of horror games that aren't Slender style games, this is a must buy. Voice acting is great and the hand drawn side of it is top notch.

That being said, this is not for the light of heart. It is gory in some spots, but just the sounds the characters make (like the sounds of being buried alive lasting for 5 min while characters take their last bits of breath) and the descriptions will make even die hard horror fans stomachs churn. It has it's light, funny moments throughout, but it is all about the horror.

Also, XSEED did a crazy awesome job of translating (like they always do). I had the privilege of talking/asking questions to one of the translators/editors over on GameFaqs when it first came out for the PSP. You could tell they loved the game as much as the fans do now and they took great care in translating the title. It's fantastic.

I wish I had the cash to scoop this up for a second time because it really is great. I wish I still could run it on my PSP. I guess I'll just watch for a price drop like a hawk. Probs gunna be awhile....

Are you still reading my wall of text?! Go buy it, now!!!

14. RedBlueFire

RedBlueFire Member

Mar 1, 2013
    If you are a horror fan you will love this game. It's very Erie, play alone with the lights out. Great story, 5***** from me,

15. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    The horror genre is not really my milieu, however I like the story-telling aspect and the mature themes so am excited that Corpse Party has an English localisation.

Glad to hear that the VA is in Japanese with English subtitles. I absolutely hate dubbing - destroys the immersion.

I'm less concerned regarding the actual content than I am regarding the quality of the port - at least, how it plays on the iPad. Given my backlog, and the hammering that my credit card has taken for my Asia-Pacific trip with my girlfriend, I'm going to wait for a iPad users to dive in before I decide to purchase.

16. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    This game is very tempting but with the borders and Japanese voice acting it makes it kind of hard to justify buying for $22. In games like this (and chaos rings comes to mind) I'd prefer to have no voice acting and a MUCH smaller file size then Japanese dialogue. I'll probably buy it down the line since I'm incapable of not buying good games on my iPhone but ya. That's my thought process at the moment. Good story, right?

17. RedBlueFire

RedBlueFire Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I'm kind of confused. The app is not universal, you can download it only on the iphone as of right now. However in the description it says it's compatible with ipad...???

18. Yeah same here. Totally weird...

19. melocoman

melocoman Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Personally that's why I think it should be cheaper.

20. cmmc38

cmmc38 Member

Jun 22, 2012
    This game is definitely a niche product that will only appeal to a small audience. As such, 5pb, XSEED, etc are going to have to charge more than 99¢ to even begin to recoup the cost of localizing and porting the game.

As a big classic JRPG fan iOS gamer, I am happy to pay a premium price for a premium product. Doing so guarantees we will get more high quality localizations on iOS because the companies won't have to sell 500,000 copies to make a profit.

Let's face it, the average Candy-Crush loving iOS owner has no interest in JRPGS, let alone visual novels. Those of us to do appreciate then are just going to have to shell out to cover the localization/porting costs if we went them to keep coming.

Now, when are we going to get Steins:Gate in English?