iPhone Cover Orange (by FDG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dabigkahuna

dabigkahuna Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1021 dabigkahuna, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    While waiting for the details from you, I've done some experimenting. I've gotten the timer to stop at 981 a couple times and once at 982, but lost. My approach was to drop the box on the orange, just to a hair left of center on the bomb so it would not tilt to the right (which would cause the orange to roll towards the bomb). Then I dropped the wheel to the right of the top orange, knocking it down to the left. Various things happen after that depending on how things bounce or what the bomb does - but sometimes I do get 981 or, once, 982. Anyway, something to consider.

Update: Just got 982 using the strategy I described. Going to upload a pic or two of where the pieces ended up (if two, they will be from different attempts).

2. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1022 dabigkahuna, Apr 22, 2011
    How about this? Without giving actual strategies (or give them if you want), pass on which levels you have been able to stop the clock on what number - assuming it is greater than a known record. Even if you haven't won the game.

I figure it will, at the least, help us to look at which levels to focus on.

I've just started trying some so here is my first examples:

Level 45: Clock stopped at 991. But I lose every time so far.

Level 65: Clock stopped at 990. And I lost, of course!

3. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    While I couldn't win level 65 with 990, I did set a new record for it:

Level 65: 989 pts

At least one more point should be possible.

4. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1024 dabigkahuna, Apr 22, 2011
    Level 71 - clock stopped at 990, but I lost.

Level 91 - clock stopped at 990, but since I left all four oranges uncovered, obviously I'll need a better strategy!

Lever 94 - clock stopped at 990. I lost.

5. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1025 dabigkahuna, Apr 22, 2011
    Level 103: clock stopped at 990 - but no protection for the oranges and being next to a slanted object, not a good approach.

Level 106: clock stopped at 986 but a really bad strategy too! But I noticed something new - and maybe will exist on other levels. Drop a wheel down the FAR left side (so part of it is off screen). Before it reaches the bottom, it bounces off of something. Might be useful - or not. Have fun experimenting!

6. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1026 dabigkahuna, Apr 22, 2011
    Just got the record on 114: 990 pts

7. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Dang, I thought I had finally gotten a break on 136. I had successfully gotten a wheel, the orange, the other wheel, and the other little thing all down to the bottom AND STOPPED at least 10 points above my old score so, of course, I was sure the timer would stop sooner this time. But it didn't. Went to 968 once again. If anyone with an iphone 4 has done better than that, let me know. Right now it seems that device simply won't do better than that.

8. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    So did you get the points or ?... I looked at your photos. If you got the points great! I didn't knock the top orange from its perch... used the wheel to help stop the wagon. The box in my solution angled up to protect the bottom orange. The top orange was left to a gap in the rain.

9. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Yeah, I got the points. Never could get it to work your way.

I'm down to 4 levels where I'm behind by 10 or more points (17, 58, 108, 136). At least none are over 20 anymore - at least until you post more new records!!!

I'm worried that it could be that the iphone 4 simply won't let me do better, but let me ask about 58, which I don't think has been discussed in particular. What do you do that stops the darn timer - maybe it is something I haven't tried.

10. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    just drop the wheel

11. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Done that many times, in different places. Still can't get more than 973. Hope this one isn't because of hardware - I'm behind 18 pts on it.

Well, I'll get back to the game later. Gotta go celebrate my birthday!

12. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    #1032 ctay, Apr 22, 2011
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you! :D Hope you have something special planned with friends and family.
    Maybe you will get a new IPod Touch, then you can keep up with me!

13. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    No family here in Hawaii, but I do try to get together with friends. Heading out to eat now - my very favorite birthday thing!

14. Jfoles13

Jfoles13 Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Happy birthday!

My score is currently a palindrome. I've moved up to 5th place! That will only last until the 2 guys behind me start playing again. I got some decent slow-mo the other day to collect more points, but I neglected to charge my phone overnight & the battery ran out, shutting off the device.

There were quite a few levels that I got the timer to stop 10-20 points better than my level record, yet I played them tons of times with 1-3 annoying raindrops always hitting it. It also takes me many, many tries to balance a wheel on top of an orange, so I just give up after awhile out of frustration.

15. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Level 65: 990 pts

However, I know there is one more point possible - I just didn't get any luck when the timer stopped at 991.

16. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1036 dabigkahuna, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    I know what you mean about wondering when those people right behind you will start playing again! Took me a lot to get past Shaun and I kept waiting for him to get active again and zoom right past me. At least I've gathered up enough points now to make him work a little for it! I'm not too far behind Pantso, but with so few points available, I don't think I can catch him - especially if I don't solve the levels where I'm way behind the record (as many as 18 on one level).

I'm also frustrated with the balancing! And some levels I'll wonder if it is even possible, though sometimes, after days of trying, I've gotten it to work. Of course, then I get bad luck with the rain anyway!

What are you playing on? I'd like to find some other people using the iphone 4 so we can compare notes on what is possible. There are some levels where no matter what I do, the timer just keeps going a long time. We know there are some differences in how the game works on different hardware, but we really need more than one example of each kind to see if it is consistent.

17. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Level 94: 990 pts!

BTW, this was one of those levels I listed yesterday that I said the timer could be stopped at a higher number than the high score at the time. This is no longer the case since I just raised it.

18. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Got the clock stopped on level 11 at 991 pts - haven't gotten the win yet though.

19. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    New record. Level 28: 983 pts

20. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    ctay,

I see you are just 1 pt off the combined total of all the record scores. So, do you have some high scores we don't know about yet? I expected to see either a bunch of new high scores from you or, at least, a big jump in one or two of the levels where the high scores are well below the 990 or so norm.

Assuming you are have managed to match the high scores on almost all, which one are you missing?