iPad Crazy Hedgy (3D platformer from Cybertime)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by arta, Dec 20, 2011.

1. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Yarg...my iPad is going to be bursting soon.

2. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Wow this game is great! Really well done must buy. Now I must leave this site for a few months so I don't keep getting games I don't have time to play. I have try to stop buying them but always come back to the toucharcade forums and find something else to get. I can't keep saying just one more so I'm going cold turkey. Hopefully I can stay away long enough to get through some of my backlog of games. I'm too addicted. This is a really well made game! I'm gone!

3. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I still experience some difficulty with long jumping segments involving trampolines, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. So far I'm very much enjoying this one.

The game looks very nice, but I wonder if the art assets ever change further in-game, or is it always the same green grass & blue sky look?

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #64 squarezero, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    The world map suggests that the environments will change as you make your way through the game.

EDIT: There's also a different world to unlock -- I have no idea what that one looks like.

5. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    All these impressions (and the videos) made me buy this game . :) (haven't tried it yet)

6. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Good, that's a positive sign :).

I rather like the way Nintendo's Mario series change the scenery every few levels, while keeping an overarching theme for each specific world.

7. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

CRAZY HEDGY is one of the nominees for Touch Arcade Game of the Week.

Do you like this outstanding 3D Jump'n'Run Action Adventure?
    If you think CRAZY HEDGY deserves to be the winner of TAGOTW, give it your vote now!

[thread=117844]VOTE HERE[/thread]

8. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

This is very good. It's the fun stuff from Super Monkey Ball without the control frustration. It's designed for touch. The graphics are wonderful and the gameplay varied. It's difficult enough to provide a challenge but not so hard that I want to throw it away in frustration. Or at least not for more than 5 minutes because Hedgy has a one-more-go aspect that keeps pulling me back. The only bit I hate is the bucket on a rope cable car which is a bit too unforgiving on the 2nd time it appears.

I'm not sure how long the game is yet but I think I'll finish it quite soon because it's so addictive. So far I'm in world 2 which is rainy with sinking islands that push you to go faster. The graphics haven't wildly changed though but the game play does progress which stops staleness from creeping in.

This deserves some frontpage coverage.

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I really dislike the parts when you're on the zip line. Hedgy isn't as responsive to me with the tilt. I hope they fix it

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    that's strange... I really like the zipline parts. =o/

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah I hate the ziplines too. U know on level 2 or 3 theres that coin on zipline, still havent caught that.

12. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    I want a virtual joystick. Tilting my iPad is SO not my thing.
    Other than that: this looks incredible. Wow.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You can tilt all the way around -- that coin is easy. :p. In any event, there's not that many zip line sections.

There's one on level 7 or 8 that is at the end of a side-path that is covered in slick oil -- that one was tough. It's amazing how tight the controls are.

14. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #74 GregB, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    I beat the Golem in World 1 but only have 8 coins. I need 25 to unlock World 2.

Yikes!!!

Is World 2 harder? I have a feeling I will be able to replay the World 1 levels and maybe get 25 coins but would be stuck in World 2 if it is harder.

15. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    This game kinda reminds me of those ball-rolling levels in Super Mario Galaxy :)

16. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Yup there are water based levels and cloud based levels (so it seems). Check out arena mode to see a preview of how they may look.

17. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Excellent mixture of ball roller, platform jumper, combat, puzzle and a tiny bit rpg. Very well balanced difficulty. Superb controls, graphics, animations and effect sounds here on iPad 2. Never seen such a fancy combination of character movement and camera (view) control.

Straight full version, no IAPs or other complications. Really a great game and absolutely FUN to play! Can't put it away any more. What a pretty and abstract world. Looks very "natural". Full of surprises. Five stars!

Highly recommended!

18. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#78 Habakuk, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
    Game Impressions

Ha! Discovered a bit late: Crazy Hedgy is made in Austria (rare enough). Actually the devs Cybertime are located here in Vienna just around the corner of my home! What a little great small world… So I called them half an hour ago and said congratulations to the pretty game. Nice contact btw. Have a look at their homepage there is an interesting animation short movie (YouTube).

Very good news!

The director told me that there is a huge update in the works. There will be a free update in early 2012 to support especially the A5 iOS devices (iPhone 4S, iPad 2) with even better graphics. For users of older devices everything will remain the same.—He is very proud that the game runs and looks very good on iPhone 3GS as well. His aim was a game with not so much cruel violence. I appreciate that! "Inspired by Nintendo." He said very modestly ;) that they want to become something like "Nintendo for iOS" in the future. Promising!

They needed 6,000 man-hours for design, coding and testing of Crazy Hedgy. Also, he said that he knows already about the tAGOTW nomination and that they will join touchArcade sooner or later. (Right now they are closed for the holidays.)

Played it for two hours or so (this happens very seldom with an iOS game believe me): Don't miss the sale, folks! Gets rather challenging when you want to collect everything. It's a nice puzzle element to find the three coins (and no—I won't tell you where) in each level and how to get them.

A really great game. Exclusive for iOS! Runs rock stable and super smooth on my iPad 2 and doesn't need much battery energy. Not bad for a first version, actually it's flawless. Tilt control at it's best. Never gets old, full of surprises and challenges. More than merely a solace for me personally because there is no Asphalt 7 (the previous versions 4, 5 and 6 always showed up short before X-Mas in the last years afair) & Real Racing 3 until now.

Cybertime is a very interesting and talented newcomer in the iOS gaming scene if you ask me. Clearly one of the best new entries in the last days, weeks and maybe months. Support them please!

Enjoy Sonic the Hedgeball… uhm, …Crazy Hedgy!

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    This man speaks truth!

20. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Hey that's great! Thanks for calling and reporting back. I absolutely see the Nintendo influence (and a bit of Sega - it does remind me of Sonic and Billy Hatcher sometimes).

Can't wait to see what else they come up with. I also can confirm that it runs great on my 3GS indeed and that the graphics are wonderful. One thing I would really like is some kind of level numbering so that it is easier to remember which level is what or to discuss levels (or am I missing that?)

I sometimes have trouble with the double jump in later levels. Usually it works as I expect, but not all the time, and it is sometimes quite frustrating because later levels get quite long (which is great!). I suspect I'm just not completely getting the way it's supposed to be done, either pressing too quickly or too slowly or something like that. Any tips from other people who got a bit farther in the game?

Still an absolutely amazing game. I got stuck in one later level (with lots of spikey turning wood logs) and was glad for the opportunity to buy access to the next level with 50000 gems. Later levels were fine again.