iPad Crazy Hedgy (3D platformer from Cybertime)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by arta, Dec 20, 2011.

1. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Just...hope...I can get enough coins to unlock World 2. I believe there are 30 possible coins in World 1 and 25 are needed to unlock World 2. Wish I could just progress by getting to the end of the levels a la Mario.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, the new Super Mario Land 3D uses a similar coin system for unlocking levels.

3. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Well the coins are necessary to get upgrades anyway and it isn't hard to get at least two every level.

4. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    The game is awesome and a unique ios experience like the infinity blade games . The controls are great and i wouldn't change them with "normal " controls . The graphics are great (and will be updated on A5 devices ??? Great news !!) , the gameplay easy to pick up and the game is generally fun . Oh and soooooooooooooooooo cute:eek::eek:

I would definately buy a sequel with more worlds .

5. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Except in level 6 where character hedgehog is dramatically chased by a big and heavy log (reminds me of Temple Run with those bat monsters behind the avatar)—the only level so far where it's really critically timed and you have to be FAST (and thankfully it's not so long). Almost a racer! I needed four or five attempts for two of the coins and now I am very satisfied with my hard earned two coins believe me…

But the later levels are easier (for me). Between the funny battles you can always have a rest on a stone in the sunshine and look at the beautiful alpine landscape (the Alps in Austria obviously, remember the movie "Sound of Music") as long as you want. Girls love that. (Me too.)

Very cool are the short intro movies on each level where the new elements are introduced briefly. When you launch a level for the first time there are interactive instructions—terse as well: Perfect! No need to study long texts.

Love the looong levels! Clearly a Triple Aaa+++ game. Get that tA folks! There is a lot to discover!

6. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I'm definitely planning on getting this game. However, at the moment it requires iOS 4.3. I'm a 4th gen itouch on 4.2.1 still. I believe the devs stated that "soon in the new year" they'd have an update changing that, and dropping the requirement to 4.2. Now, the question is: should I buy it now, with the launch sale, and wait for the update, or wait for the update and then buy it? Only reason I'm asking is because of the 'limited time' launch sale...

7. Habakuk

Where did they state that?

Maybe I'll ask the dev when I speak to him next time (in some days—there are holidays in his country right now).

Discipline with ZIPLINES: Love them or hate them (screenshot from iPad 2):

[​IMG]

I love them too!

8. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    On facebook.

And yeah, that'd be much appreciated. Hopefully the sale still goes for awhile, that or I'll just pick it up. It looks like one of the stand-out games for iOS! My bet is that it'd have made the nominees list for GOTY if it had released in November...(or the nominees had started later)...

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Anyone know where the third coin in level 7 is? Only coin I don't have in the grass area.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It's been interesting to play Crazy Hedgy and SML3D at the same time. Even though I am legally required to say that SML3D is the better game (and THE BEST PLATFORMER OF THIS GENERATION (TM)), I am actually enjoying Crazy Hedgy more. In a way that's not surprising: I was always much more of a Sonic man than a Mario man. Mario was always more about precision than anything else, while there was something anarchic and fun about Sonic. Part of it, too, is that Mario has always registered for me more as corporate trademark than as a character (he's the Mickey Mouse of the video game world). Crazy Hedgy is just, well, cool. At a party, Mario would be the guy talking about his stock portfolio, while Crazy Hedgy would be the one getting drunk and dancing on the table.

Obviously SML3D has the gameplay variety that you would expect from the multi-million dollar flagship of one the biggest game companies in the world. Moment to moment, however, it forces you to play within a very limited range of moves, particularly when dealing with enemies. Crazy Hedgy doesn't: you can punch your way through, push enemies over the edge, knock the against rotating traps, throw boxes or exploding barrels at them, bounce on their heads (either to kill them or disable them momentarily), even pick them up and hurl them against each other (which may start a fight between them). Each of these approaches comes with its own hilarious animation and sound effects.

Obviously SML3D is ultimately the more polished product (particularly the level select screens, the death animation, and the UI overall) and in any event the comparison is not quite fair -- Super Mario Land was make or break title for Nintendo.. But Crazy Hedgy is a game that would not feel out of place as a 3DS release, even compared with the "big guns." It's a crazy ambitious release and I really, really hope that it catches the attention of TA and iOS gamers in general.

11. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

The candy world is doing my nut. The swinging platforms with a ton of mines followed by a really hard platform section covered in honey. Ugh.

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'm assuming that even though he may drop the requirement to 4.2 that it'll still have the 3GS and up requirement restrictions. But if he's dropping it to allow it on older devices, I'd be a happy camper.

Not getting my hopes up though. Looks pretty sweet graphic-wise (although there are still some games on my iPod Touch 2G that look pretty damn good for not having the newer processor).

13. Habakuk

#93 Habakuk, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
    Full ack. Great comparison, Squarezero! Very enlightening words.

I am now for about three hours in the game and wouldn't mind if Crazy Hedgy would have been nominated for the iOS Game of the Year but it seems to be too late for that.

14. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG] Busy shopping for Christmas presents and have no time to vote yet?

ONE LAST DAY to make CRAZY HEDGY becomes Touch Arcade Game of the Week.

[thread=117844]VOTE HERE[/thread]

15. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Woot! #6 in the leaderboards now

16. HenryL

HenryL New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Looks really nice :) Similar to Croc and Crash Bandicoot.

17. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Yeah, difficulty definitely ramps up there. Am grateful for the opportunity to skip levels.

To the person who didn't feel like collecting 25 coins: do it! It's worth it, and you'll probably find it's much easier than you thought. You will have bought (or should buy) more upgrades now, so the levels themselves are easier and you can take your time finding/getting the coins.
    I had the same issue for world 3, when I needed 55 coins and only had 45, and that was even after I already tried to get more coins. I thought it would be very hard, but it wasn't at all, and I found it fun to replay the older levels.

18. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    WOW !
    A highly recommended 5-star jewel with, let me repeat other members again, super tilt control !!!
    And i'm sure you'll add an option to tilt-the-screen orientation.
    A must have !
    This Dev is on my top-list for further releases.

19. rococoman

rococoman Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

This game is crazy ambitious. The levels are really interesting, it looks awesome, and it runs super-smoothly.

The tilt controls work as well as tilt controls can - unfortunately, this is still inadequate to me. When you are racing down a corridor, the tilt controls work really well, but they become a major chore when you simply want to wander around an open area.

There are lots of little hidden spots throughout the game (awesome) which are needlessly difficult to get to with tilt controls (not awesome).

The tilt controls definitely don't ruin the game - it's still a blast, and I'm still playing it. However, I would REALLY prefer having a joystick of sorts.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #100 squarezero, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
    You need to get better at the tilt controls. It's a skill, just like using a controller (which I still kind of suck at). You can't expect to pick them up and master them instantly. Trust me -- I can navigate the platforms without a hint of awkwardness, climb any rock, squeak by oil spots, etc. You say that the tilt controls work "as well as tilt controls can." Well, the tilt controls in this game can work a heck of a lot better than how they currently work for you.

Playing with a joystick would take away from the simplicity of the control scheme, where the entire left side is mapped to jumping and the entire right side to combat. I guess it would make some folks more comfortable, but they would kind of playing a different game.