Universal Crazy Kings (by Mantis Shrimp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 1, 2015.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Glad to see more people picking it up and trying, in still playing a few times a day. Especially good for when I'm somewhere that has no signal as this doesn't require one either.

Also I don't know why it says softlaunch AU? I got it off the UK store

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Just downloaded the app and I am about to play. Will post my impressions on it soon :D

3. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    So far I have enjoyed this game and as other have said it's freemium done right. I have a few problems with it though.

I like
    - The design. There is no doubting this app is VERY well made. All the animations are perfect and smooth, everything looks glossy, and all the characters look amazing.
    - Depth. There are lots of levels of varying difficult and a huge amount of cards to collect and enemies to play against.
    - Story. Other tower defence games just say "thats the enemy you must defend your base from them." But here it doesn't, here there is a story that carries on and makes you keep playing.
    - The character library. Being able to see who you have whilst being able to see all of the enemies in the Bestiary being able to see what health and attack they have is great.

I dont like
    - How the archers fire up despite the enemy being mere metres away. I understand they do this to control their fire rate, but it would work better if it just took them longer to aim , or longer to fire their arrows. It would look less silly. Ancient archers only fired into the air from distance not from 3 foot away :p
    - The music. Its a good track, but after a while its just annoying.
    - The bear traps. I hate how they fly forward and almost leap at the enemies just as an arrow was about to kill them. They should stay in place and only work when an enemy steps on them.
    - I haven't got far enough yet but almost every review of the game so far is complaining about the difficulty as the game gets on with some saying its taking them weeks to get past levels and they can't physically upgrade anymore because to get more gems to upgrade they have to complete levels which they can't get past. Is this not a flaw and is this the point that people will have to pay to continue?

Some suggestions
    - In the tutorial it suggests you drag the cards to their points on the field. Dragging on a small display like an iPhone is annoying. You can just click the card, and the turret location. I feel this should be suggested in the tutorial and not the dragging.
    - The ability to go to the next level through the last one you played.
    - The Time Locks. I don't know why this is here, but it might be worth making it so you can spend gems to open it early?
    - Special animation when you get a card. At the moment I am getting cards left right and centre. But there is never anything showing me "wow you got this card, it does this and that and this etc etc".
    - In the future a multiplayer mode would be great fun. Taking it in turns to attack and defend.

A big thing is that I think this game would have worked lots better if it was paid. I would pay for it and it is the quality that would make a game a paid one. Some of the best games are paid don't forget

4. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Co-founder / Game Developer
    Finland

Hey there! Been wondering if I should join in to the discussion or not, we've had a super hectic month and some Crazy days lately (pun intended). But now I'm jumping aboard: So I'm Niklas Wahrman, from TicBits, developer of Crazy Kings ( twitter.com/nixarn ).

Thanks a lot everyone for the kind words!

Regarding the dislikes (commented in the same order they were listed up):

- So the archer towers got one shoot animation, that's why they always shoot up in the air like that. It's always a balance when making a game, should we focus a week on making towers shoot more accurately or should be work on new features, so the question to us was always, what's more important to make the game fun.
    - When it comes to the music: which song are you talking about? In-game or on the one on the worldmap? We have a few songs we do alternate in between, but this is something we'll look into, some of the songs were added last minute before shipping so we should spend some more time on making sure there's a good alternation of the music between levels.
    - Yeah, about the bear trap, heard this feedback before. It's a bit tricky, we had it more realistic at first, but people kept placing poorly so enemies just walk by it, so it felt more fun like this for the player. But true, this is something that's hard not to notice, maybe there's some other solution for it?
    - The game do get harder later on and will require better cards. But playing the arena, siege and doing quest will get you a lot of cards. Typically there's also an entirely different strategy that can be used in a level that makes it really easy, so try different tactics.

And on to the suggestions. BTW. Suggestions are highly welcome, this is only the first global release version of the game, we'll keep making it better, there's still a lot to do, and we're aware of some of it weak points that we'll adress in the coming weeks!

(suggestions, commented in the same order they were listed up)
    - In one tutorial we teach tap-tap and one drag, but good idea, maybe only teach tapping on the iPhone as it is easier. On the iPad dragging is very natural.
    - Yeah, was thinking exactly this when playing a tower today, we'll see what we can do!
    - Yes, time locks should be able to unlock with gems, it's on our long todo list :)
    - Uncommon and rare cards do have a nicer shine, but you're right, could be more exciting at least when you get a new card you haven't seen before.
    - Multiplayer is something we're thinking about, finding some really fun mode that also works with the rest of the game is the challenge, but it's in the back of our minds.

Thanks for playing guys! This game has been in development for a long time, 3 years actually, it's gone through a bunch of iterations. We're all really big Tower Defense fans and we wanted to make this the best TD possible.

Best,
    Niklas

5. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Good to see you are listening to the community and are already hard at work on future updates :D You can tell you have put some hard work into this game

In regards to the music its the menu music. It sounded like the same track was repeating itself every 60 seconds and after 3 minutes in the menu's I had to mute my phone.

The suggestion of the tutorial recommending tap and touch on iPhone and swipe on iPad would work great for each device.

Keep up the good works and if I think of anymore suggestions I will let you know.

6. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    Thanks! Awesome - I gotta make sure to check back with the forums on a regular basis!

7. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Nice to see the Dev here makes me want to play even more now knowing that you care and want to support the game. I hope it does well and gets noticed for you!

I'll try to remember things for ideas now I know there's someone about.

8. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    Yay :) ofcourse devs should talk to the players as much as possible, that's without doubt the best way to improve a game!

Anyway, getting late here in Finland, but I'll be checking in again tomorrow if anyone has any feedback, suggestions or questions!

9. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    This or frontiers td?... Or men at arms

10. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    Of course the real players should decide, but as a dev, CK's upside is: 275 levels (and more coming), free to download (so nothing to lose to give it a go) and daily events & tournament and a lot more (and more coming)!

11. Norba

Norba New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Hi Nixarn! Got a couple of questions for you. I downloaded and played CK for 2 days now and i am loving it. I saw a starter pack offer this morning but i missed it. Will it appear again? Really want to buy it and support you guys.

Another question is about the tournament. Are there any prizes for getting beyond rank 5? Or should i wait till i am ready and try to aim for the top 1?

Thanks!

12. Norba

Norba New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Comparing between this and frontiers, i would say they have their own merits. This has an rpg feel to it due to the cards and leveling and is more suited for people who only have time to play once in a while. Frontiers is more for a prolong gaming session and where you have all your towers and you do not have to worry about leveling your towers. Its just about your skills.

Never played men at arms though but i would say CK is free so why not just try it?

13. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Lovely hand drawn and animated cartoons which looks the best, very fluid frame rates, nothing beats 100% hand done, every frame is like flawless.

14. Drope SM

Drope SM Member

Dec 22, 2014
    As a huge fan of TD game, I can tell you this: everytime I tried a free one, it was a deception. But Crazy Kings is a jewel among the free and (I dare to say) paid TD games. What a good surprise! The freemium issues doesn't bother at all, but I think that for a game like this, that makes the player immerse on it for the story, graphics and gameplay, people would prefer to pay $2,99 or something similar just to play ir as will.
    Nice work on this fellas, no doubts it's going to my Best TD Gallery on the iPad!

15. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    Hey,

First off, happy to hear you love the game! Unfortunately the starter kit won't appear again, but you can get all cards from the game (and cardpacks) so although you missed out on that offer, you won't have missed out on anything exklusive. There's another offer later in the game, same thing goes for that.

In the tournament you'll only get prizes if you're in the Top5, and if you reach the Top5 you also advance in league, and each league has better and better prices (for now prices are cards and gems, but we got some other cool stuff planned!). There's Iron league (where you end up if you got < 125 stars), Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and finally the Diamond league.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it's a bit scary to show freemium games here (with TAs strong pro-premium opinion). But there's a lot of good in freemium as well: Everyone gets to try for free and then decide if they want to support it, players who can't for some reason pay at all still get to enjoy the games (without resulting to piracy) and if it's able to generate enough revenue monthly it allows the devs to continue improving the game for months (and sometimes even years) to come.

And as I've said before, this is the launch version of CK, but we got plenty of cool stuff planned! :)

BTW. Is it possible to get the title changed now that the game is no longer in softlaunch?

16. Smorgasbord

Smorgasbord Member

May 13, 2015
    Are the tournaments down? I've tried with wifi and using my data with restarting the apps and it has been a no-go for the past hour. After the small updating screen it says update failed please check your network connection and try again.

My wifi and data is working with other online app games/websites/twitch stream.

17. Drope SM

Drope SM Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Hey Nixarn, I've got a question! My iPad is broken and for now I downloaded the game in my phone. Is there any sync between these devices? My gamecenter account is the same in both. This is important because I dont want to buy the same cards twice!

18. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    Hey, there. Actually yeah, the tournament was down for 20min, we'll look into it tomorrow why that happened. But it's back up now!

It's possible to sync between devices if you log into Facebook (so login on your iPad, then iPhone to retrieve the game progress). Game Center isn't supported yet.

19. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Really enjoying this one!

20. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Whoever it was asking about which I have the two you were thinking of and this, this is free so there is nothing to lose just buy it!

To the Dev I did buy the starter pack just to support the game because of how much I like it. Do you think there will ever be an option to purchase and remove the energy system? Keep the timers and other things needed but endless energy?

Although there always seems to be something to do but still I thought I'd ask.