Universal Crazy Taxi - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    yeah the DC version had a second area that I seem to recall was a bit smaller and a bit less interesting. SOunds like its included in this port too...

2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Its too bad kids these days don't know how to appreciate a classic. If its not a first person shooter, endless runner or slinging birds at pigs it doesn't measure up to their standards. I grew up in the 80's and 90's when the arcade was the only way to play games. Home console ports were horrible and nothing replicated the feel of being in an arcade with limited funds and a seemingly endless supply of new games. Back then it was gameplay that got your quarter. Today its about who can create the most lifelike graphics. IMO games of today have lost their way and are devoid of any soul. Back when imagination powered game creation and limitations were used to your advantage, games were fun. I remember a time when you could go to the store and look at the game box and buy a game and know you'd like it for weeks or months on end. No media hype, just plain old word of mouth and trial and error. Then again back then you didn't have to worry about scratching a disc and it becoming useless, the worst that could happen is the game fell in a puddle of water and needed to be dried out. Personally i'm very excited to see this game come to iOS. Its exactly the type of game you can loose yourself in for hours. Focus on playing the game and not about how it doesn't fill your screen or lack today's visuals. This game reigned supreme in an age when arcade ports were horrible and the dreamcast pioneered porting games from the arcade to home consoles. Of course it helps the dreamcast was built from the same hardware as the arcade machines, but regardless they were one of the first to do it affordably and in mass qty. To this very day when I visit an arcade "Crazy taxi" is one of the first games I play. Sure the need for speed next to it with its tricked out seats, widescreen hdtv and premium sound system seem cool, but when you plop in your change and finish the experience does it live up to the hype? For me the answer is no. But crazy taxi has always lived up to its potential and for me thats what a true gamers game is all about.

3. sirrozha

sirrozha Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I have played for a couple of hours and I could say that I was wrong. I got used to the controls, have got a bike and Crazy license. This game is cool. It has aged well indeed.

4. I used to love this game back in the old days. Hope it is as good or better now!

5. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yeah, the Dreamcast (and other subsequent home console releases) featured a second map as a way off adding a bit more value to a full price retail game. The first map was the Arcade Map which is the one most are familiar with. It's the biggest and definitely most fun to drive around of the two. The second which was exclusive to the home consoles was, as I can recall, more city based and much smaller... I seem to remember being able to plough through a shopping mall (unless the mall was in the first map... it's been a while).

Whilst this wasn't one of my favourite Dreamcast games, I'll still pick it up for nostalgic effect. Personally, of the many Dreamcast games, I'd love to have a port of Toy Commander, that game was the nuts!

6. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    yep, I have to agree. Theres lots of great games coming out today, but most of them aren't the so-called "AAA" titles. I'm pretty much done with the whole fps thing. In fact, I think I still enjoy playing DOOM more than any of the COD games.

As much as I played Crazi Taxi over the years, I've still never gotten tired of that music. I'm very happy the original soundtrack is included in the ios port. For me, it doesn't feel like the same game with anything other than that Offspring tune...

7. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Absolutely, the music is what set the tone for the game and is imo one of the biggest overlooked factors. I can remember the first time i heard a voice while playing a video game. Back in those days it was very hard to do and rarely if ever happened. Back then you didn't need a tutorial or walkthrough to play a game. You just picked up the controllers and pressed each button to see what it did. Today nearly half the game is a tutorial. IMO if a game needs a tutorial then its too complicated to be considered "fun". I really miss those days and wish those developers would go back to what made games fun. I mean even something as simple as pong was a blast back then. Today we have full fledged tennis games with real life graphics and physics that don't match the fun and intensity of a square ball bouncing between rectangle paddles :/

8. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

As someone who played and loved the original, can someone state that this is worth getting? How does this resemble the DC version as far as playability and control?

9. Well, I was too young to have a Dreamcst and play the original game. But ever since I've played a copy of this on NGC, I've always wanted a copy for my own- bit stupid of me to not get the psp or gamecube copy - This is a definite insta-buy for me...I don't really care if the original soundtrack is in it or not, I could just re-create it :p

10. OriginalDex

OriginalDex Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah jwm2, totally agree: the fun must be at the center of the gaming universe.

11. Reading this makes me feel old... Very old...

12. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    So, iPad 3. Pixelated or full display resolution?

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It was a bad game back then. It took away a lot of my time and lunch money.

Im sure it will continue to be a bad game. I just hope i dont lose a job over this.

14. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    How does this look on the new iPad folks?

Is it iPad 2 resolution and upscaled, therefore grainy?

Come on, someone must have played it on the latest iPad.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Reading the first sentence, I was on the verge of flinging a Dreamcast at you. >_>

16. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Not sure why there would be anyone complaining about this coming to iOS... It's an original idea for a game, nothing like it on the store, cheap and a wide environment. Better than some generic zombie endless runner! As though we've never seen or thought if that before! There's just no pleasing people.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Who's complaining?

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Still awaiting some comments on the controls. I have to admit that I never had a Dreamcast, but played it either on the PS2 or Xbox (sad, can't remember which since I don't have the game anymore).

I liked the game but never got the hype. Still, it was fun and think I may enjoy it on the go if the controls are decent.

19. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    The controls are flawless, at least for me. Gonna stay on my iPod forever.

20. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Jared on twitter told me its so much fun = instabuy