iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Perfect :)
    24 minutes to go...can't really wait.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Just got the mercury shoes -- man, what a difference! Loved the bit with the well, too: I wasn't looking forward to making my way back across the desert.

Vovin, if there's one small point I would disagree with is that there is a bit of grinding in CGS -- it's just handled differently that in Korean ARPGs where you have to trawl the same few maps over and over again. Including the Ziggurat -- basically a vertical arena -- was a pretty brilliant idea, since it allows you to grind in an interesting location with new monsters and new loot.

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well about grinding...I hate the boring part of it, repeating the very same things over and over just to get past a powerful enemy (Chaos Rings has this in some form, but it was fast using the double XP apples).
    I'm much more scared about the children character design...I hope it will not detract from my enjoyment.

We'll see...I really hope the get the very same enjoyment some of you are getting from this title.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    They are not children -- in fact, two of your party members are decidedly middle-aged.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Really?
    That's great!
    I kept myself away from any video on pourpose, I only saw some screenshots and maybe I got the wrong impression.
    Good to hear!!

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The main character has just graduated from what today be considered a military college. He is definitely young and untested, but not a child. Two of the other characters are on the younger side; both come across as older than the protagonist. The other two are seasoned veterans.

7. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    There is one last one, who is middle-aged.

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Tried the game a bit.
    Just went out the village and fought some monsters.
    So far the very first impression is spectacular.
    Maybe I was just prepared for the worse, but I didn't had any problems with the menus, except realizing that to scroll items you have to swipe strictly in the items list because everywhere else get you back.
    I had no problems with the default control method, as long as your finger doesn't go around the screen you're fine (you do not have to exit the 'stick' zone or it reposition).
    I stand correct about 'children look' (I probably expressed myself wrong before)...it's more Zelda style than Chaos Rings, but seems consistent and generally graphics really shines.
    Wonderful dubbing too (yes, it's annoying hearing the last sentence while reading the first one...easily patchable though).
    I was all scared by menus problems and style consideration, which turned out inconsistent for me (now at least)....I found a much more important problem though.
    The game loads really really slow (3GS).
    I can understand why but...I'm really getting used to this instant on device and instant on games (much more with os4 compliant games).

Now back to the game :)

9. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    I'm having a problem when ranking spells with medallions. It wond let me use just 1 or 2 i have to use all the medallions i have in my invent before i can go back to my inventory page.

10. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    It's a known bug which the devs are working on.

11. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    Ok, thanks. Couldn't be arsed to read through about 20 pages :p

12. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
  13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Played more, well into 1 chapter now.
    I have to admit I'm really hooked, can't stop playing.
    Too bad the interface is so ugly (and while I'm already used to the strange menu swipe system, navigating the skill tree is a little nightmare), because the game itself is really really spectacular.
    I hope they'll put some more efforts in the menus both in usability and style (is pretty clear they simple ported it from the psp buttons), because this game deserves the best interface (hint: look at Chaos Rings interface).
    But nonetheless, this game is wonderful.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I'm glad you like it. Not to sound pessimistic, but I doubt that we will see a redesign of the PSP interface. The kind of budget that the App Store requires (this is $30.00 game on the PSP, after all) would likely make it impossible. We will probably see only a tweak to the sensitivity and perhaps a change in the swipe direction of a few menus to make things consistent.

BTW, I agree about the skill tree menu, but I'm almost certain that that's an issue with the original game rather than the port. It would be much better if you could switch from branch to branch without having to go back to root.

15. AlkalineGreg

AlkalineGreg Member

Jul 10, 2010
    I'm about 2 hours in and really enjoying this one. The menu's are a bit awkward at times, but not a deal breaker. Art style reminds me of Golden Sun a bit. Definately my favourite iRPG.

16. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Golden Sun was actually the best thing ever. Just sayin'.

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm not liking it.
    I'm actually loving it.
    I'm not that pessimistic, I do hope they'll redesign the interface (it's really ugly, at least put some icons instead of those ugly written buttons)...but even if not, the game is awesome.
    I was really embarrassed seeing I played 2 hour straith without realizing it (my wife brought me back to reality).
    What in some way really bothers me is that the interface is so basic while the game is FULL of classy touches and cool graphics/sounds.

18. AlkalineGreg

AlkalineGreg Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Ha, it was a bit of a gem. Wasted weeks of my life on that thing!

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Agreed. Last night I thought would play for a few minutes ("just till I find the exit to the Ziggurat"). 2 hours later, I had to force myself to put it down to get some sleep.

I do hope you're right about the interface. :)

20. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010