iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The translations are pretty much perfect.

2. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Anybody ever have problems downloading an app before? First time this has happened to me, the app's load bar will fill up complete and as I tap it, it restates the entire download....

Being a massive file... It's taking upwards of 2 hours to Dl. Twice now

3. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    You probably need more free space. My guess is that it's downloading, but then cancelling once it begins unpacking the file. You'll probably need at least a gig and a half of free space for it to unpack and install. I'd aim for 2 gigs to be safe.

4. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I have 22 gigs of free space.

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Not even aware of the PSP version and yes, looks sweet so far but a video of gameplay would be great.

Add this to my wishlist...

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Game Impressions

Alright, I've put over an hour into into it and I think I have enough for some early impressions.

Before any discussion about issues with the port or fine-detail stuff, it should first be stated that this game is at completely different level from every other Asian RPG in the App Store, with the exception of Chaos Rings. There simply is no comparison: whatever their merits, Zenonia, Inotia, etc are all cell phone games, while CGS is a true console RPG. Graphically, it reminds me of the recent PSP upgrade to Lunar (there's a bit of Grandia, too, but without the 3D environment graphics -- this is strictly isometric 2D). The music and voice acting are top-notch as well. It's difficult to rate the story after only an hour of gameplay -- I made it only through the prologue -- but what I've seen so far is clearly sophisticated and well translated. The turn-based combat system seems to have plenty of depth, including things like combinable skills. The combat scenes themeselves are vivid and well animated.

Now, there are issues with the port, but to describe it as "horrible," as someone did above, is to engage in hyperbole. On a 3Gs the framerate is consistently excellent, with not even a hiccup after an hour of play. The movement controls are similar to those of Chaos Rings (click anywhere for a d-pad); they work okay, but could be better. The biggest issue, though, is with the menu system, which should definitely be better explained within the game. You have to swipe counterintuitively to move through the options, then tap on the desired command. Unfortunately, the sensitivity of the movement takes some getting used to. There's also no obvious "move to the previous menu key; instead, you have to click outside of the choice area. Again, this is not explained within the game, so it takes a bit of trial-and-error to figure it out.

I've noticed seams around a few of the tiles, and if you look closely, you can see a very faint square around the sprite particularly when you move -- I don't know if that was the case on the PSP version. I also wonder if the voice-overs were shortened in this version, since they often only go through a character's last screen of dialogue.

All in all, there's some of awkwardness to this port and I hope to see some updates to clean things up a bit. . Even so, I was happy to play the game for a full hour and look forward to sinking many more hours into it.

The big question is, of course, whether it's worth the price. It's important to keep in mind that this version sells for a third of PSP one, and as far as I can tell there's exactly the same amount of content. In my view, that makes it a no-brainer for JRPG fans. Others may want to wait to see more impressions, especially about the controls. Personally, I'm really, really glad to have a game like this on my iPhone.

7. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    lol

you realize you can just play snes on your iphone right?

8. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    You said the combat is turn based, not action???

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    oh my god, yes!!

yes
    yes
    yes
    yes

RPGS nomnomnom.

finally another good one goodness.

10. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Will there be an Ipad version.... this game rocks

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yes, turn-based.

12. NolbertoS

NolbertoS Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I have this game on the psp, but never opened it due to my huge backlog. I may bite, as i want more jrpgs on the iphone. I can only dream when dragon quest 1 to 3 are ported here.

13. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Thanks for the impressions SZ and everyone else. I really want to get my hands on this right now, but I don't want to regret the purchase when an iPad version comes along later. Dev, if you're reading, pray tell me, will there be one??

@bigE1669: Really? One star? Did you play the game at all?

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I have bought this immediately, too.

First: squarezero is correct in every way. Presentation is top-notch, graphics and music are high class! The intro alone is epic, controls and menu should be updated a little but are ok, nonetheless, this is a true console title.

Second: it seems that the game unpacks itself and is something about 650-750 Megabytes on my iPhone, if I'm correct. Will check later on my PC.

15. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    #55 ShadowsFall, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    Someone on iTunes review left a bad start, can anyone give a quick review and TOFTT :D?

EDIT: Nvm, thanks squarezero lol

16. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    lol im not sure if ya answered this before, but how do you even finish all these games? Ya seem to pick up about most rpgs and stuff that take at least 20 hrs to finish. iphone heats up fairly quickly so I guess you could have it connected when ya play and have some case =P

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Well, I'm up at 1:45 am answering your question, so that should give you an idea. ;)

20+ hour games are kind of a new thing for the iPhone, so I may very well start slowing down a bit.

18. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

You and I end up getting all the same dang games. I know I have only finished a handful of the ones I have though. But I have a ps3, 360, wii, and pc sucking up time.

Heck on my iphone alone I have a ton that I really enjoy playing but I barely touch unless I feel like I am in the mood for it. I may finish this one though. I played it on the psp and never finished it. It was fun while I was playing it before my psp broke.

19. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    True, but like this and the recent War of E something game, and the steady increase of korean mobile action rpg ports that come out. Games for iphone are getting pretty lengthy =P

20. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Seriously thinking of taking the leap on this one. Just wish it wasn't so pricey, but the better ones cost the most. Loved Chaos rings, love FF, turn based RPGs, think it may be worth my $$