iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    How does this play on the Ipad?
    do you need to do 2x or will it be fullscreen, without getting all blury

2. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Just bought this based on squarezero's impressions.

Still downloading via iTunes. :D

3. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    A hour in and so far the game is very very well done. Only LITTLE gripe is with picking your attacks in battle, choosing items... The slider is very sensitive, that's about it. Great looking game, controls are solid, combat is fun, story with voice... Very fluid fleshed out game, so far.

4. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    Sounds absolutely amazing, except for the price tag.
    Sure I bought Chaos Rings but I knew it was excellent. About this game I'm not entirely sure.
    Most likely I'm buying this after I get done with Itarus.

One question though - I just ordered the new iPhone 4 and it should be here in a month or so. Can I transfer the purchases made with this old iPhone to the new one somehow or do I have to make another purchase for another device?

One would think Apple allows it since they're constantly (1 per year) putting out new phones cause otherwise it would be bad marketing.

Wondering this because I'm not sure whether I should buy this game soon or wait for my new phone before buying it.

5. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Its based off your appstore account not idevice. I have gone from a second gen ipod touch to an iphone 4. As far as this game, its actually more fun to play on this than on the psp. But it has a decent story and the gameplay mechanics are great. Although I think some people will be turned off by the fact that the boss fights ramp up the difficulty a bit. (unless they have been toned down on this version. Its a solid buy for the price.

6. mingingful

mingingful Member

Jun 14, 2010
    great game guys
    bought it and don't regret it. its a solid port over so don't worry about dodgy translations
    there are areas they can of course improve being:
    menus (weird sensitivity)
    controls (had trouble using the floating dpad and gave up on it)
    and graphical errors where sprites have a square outline e.g. dpad, attacking, menu in battle

otherwise great game and definitely worth your $10! I've never been too into the 3D scene, so this really hits it home for me :D

7. toythatkills

toythatkills Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    In what way?

8. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    Thanks! That's just as it should be.
    Somehow I had been led to believe it wouldn't be like that.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, for one, you can buy $20 worth of other games with it ;).

10. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I went from a 2nd gen 8g to a 32g third gen touch with voice control. All you do is sync your old one then plug your new one up and will ask you if it's a new device click yes so everything transfers into your name ( you iTunes account and such) then it will ask if you want to transfer everything, hit yes and it'll go. Very simple. Also anything you bought and deleted due to space issues, you can redownload for free. Hope that helps!

11. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Well, at least for this asian-based RPG I won't have to worry about translation errors and such. Atlus have a reputation for having the best localisations in the industry.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As I wrote earlier, the translation is pretty much perfect. Oh, and the fixed d-pad works a lot better than the floating one.

13. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Really? I thought the floating d-pad worked really well for Chaos Rings, so I assumed it would be the same here.

14. unique-f

unique-f Active Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Egypt
    hey can anyone with an old gen device comment on the framerate , is it playable?

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I thought it worked well on CR too, but this one it's a bit too finicky. It's an implementation issue, which potentially could be fixed in an update. Not a huge deal, though.

16. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    This would have been the best rpg in the appstore if it wasnt for some huge flaws the way you have to scoll through the menu is prob the worst i have ever seen i have actualy been forced to reboot the game becouse i couldnt get out of the item menu wich brings me to the second flaw this game doesnt outsave if it gets interupted for whatever reason

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #77 squarezero, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    Once you get the difference between a swipe and a touch, using the menu system is not really problem. It should be better explained, though. Even with that flaw, this is the second best Asian RPG in the App Store after Chaos Rings. Nothing else is even in competition. (Well, WoE is up there, too, but that's an SRPG.)

I do agree, however, that there should be an auto save. You just have to remember to save often.

18. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Without a doubt, great game! Yeah, once your used to the small swipes up or down picking items is not that bad.

One of the best if not the best, rpg. It makes Z1-2 and Inotia seem like children games. To me at least.

19. JoeBlonde

JoeBlonde Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Any chances of an HD version?

20. FlyinWhee

FlyinWhee Member

May 11, 2009
    In my impressions earlier, I painted a pretty grim picture of the iOS port of this game, and some people seem to think it was a bit overkill, I stand by my first impressions, but I will say this - you get used to most of the quirks.

But, it could be because you just paid $10 for something, and are trying to enjoy it. It could be because the underlying game is so polished, and as someone else stated, of a quality never seen so far in the App Store (personally, comparing it to Chaos Rings makes Chaos Rings seem rushed in every aspect, except the visuals).

But that kind of sloppy port - and by that I mean FREQUENT textures issues, in some backgrounds you actually see lines that probably delimit the textures in memory, like they're pasted a pixel off from the next one. Terrible control implementation with no documentation. And clearly UNTESTED issues with the voice overs. THAT Kind of sloppy port should never make it out there at that price.

At $10, if someone release something like that on Xbox Live Arcade... They'd get torn to shreds. The obvious issues that even the slightest amount of QA could have brought to light contrast harshly with the quality of the game underneath.

So yeah, I'm 2 hours in and enjoying it. Maybe I'd be as far in 15 minutes less if the interface controls weren't so bad.