iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Unless the music has changed from the PSP version, that statement is simply not true.

2. chrisjamess

chrisjamess Active Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Personally, I think Crimson Gem's story blows Chaos Rings out of the water.

3. N2oXide

N2oXide Active Member

Oct 18, 2010
    lol ye it actually does

was made for the psp. makers simply had a higher standard of quality to match, instead of mobile games

4. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009

hmmmm...shame they came up with the most unusable menu system available in any game then

5. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, I am currently playing Crimson Gem Saga (I am in the 3rd chapter) and so far I am enjoying it.

The interface is bad, yes, but in the end it is a turn-based game, so you have time to get used to it without getting slaughtered.
    It has optional RT-elements like the ambush system and finishing sequences, but those don't require use of the interface.

Passive skills? There is just one per character out of dozens of possible skills. Whether they work or not (I am not sure) won't make or break your game.

Music is OK, certainly on the whole different level than in action-KRPGs on iOS. Visually, both quality and variety-wise the game is on the whole different level too.

It also has a solid story with some twists and turns and lots of content.

6. N2oXide

N2oXide Active Member

Oct 18, 2010
    #986 N2oXide, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    I had trouble with the menu interface for about... half a minute before I realised there was a little coloured box indicating the boundaries where my fingers could and could not go.

7. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    well you're welcome to your opinion but if you'd bother to read the rest of this thread you'd see that there are a lot of other blind,fat fingered, retarded people about and for what was a 10 dollar game having shitty menus seem to be a bad let down.
    Because this is obvioulsy just me but for 10 dollars i would expect menus like in every single other game in the app store which are easily usuable.

Also obviously because your mr perfect, you should be used to everyone else not being as good as you

oh and yes i know its now a 5 dollar game

8. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    Interesting — looks like I'm Mr. Perfect too. You shouldn't forget that people are always much more likely to post negative impressions. For every menu-hater posting here there's a bunch of Mr. Perfects who haven't bothered posting about how the menus are perfectly okay once you've figured out how they work, which does indeed take about half a minute... :)

Bottom line is, this is definitely amongst the best RPG experiences the App Store has to offer. Story is interesting, characters engaging, graphics are great, music is good, menus are perfectly fine. Only thing I don't like too much is the way only some of the dialogue lines are spoken, while most are written, which can make thing a little complicated.

9. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    i do realize that, just think that people should be aware of the other side too thats all

and as was initially said back at the beginning of this thread it was just surprising, that with so much effort made in porting the game to the iphone that they didn't change / correct the menus for such a "high" priced premium game

10. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    What I mean is that there are people, myself included, who don't feel the menus need to be corrected — probably that's what the devs feel.

11. mrdyer1984

mrdyer1984 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    It's way to boring to even type it in...
    Shrewsbury PA
    #991 mrdyer1984, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    I don't know if this has been said, but I see some folks wondering about the game...

I never played the PSP version, but this game seems like a sloppy port. A very sloppy port. You see the light colored square around all moving things. You see random lines through the back ground from not putting the scenes together properly. Finally I've hit some sound issues. Now and then I get a shot of static or something when the big priest guy says his line during his attack or maybe I just don't understand him. The controls are terrible...you can tell it was meant for the PSP's joystick not for a directional pad. The menu controls...again are terrible, in battle controls terrible.

BUT!

I enjoy the game problems and all. So far I've gotten into the tower to the village inside. I picked up the priest guy and thats where I've left off. The game is fun, and if you can over look some stuff its not bad. Plus the thief girls boobs bounce when she moves and attacks :D I'd pick it up if it went on sale, there are plenty of other games in the app store to keep you occupied until it does. I'm sure a lot of work went into it, but at the same time, other games have been ported, FF1 and FF2 for example, while not as graphical as CGS, there is a great touch menu system that works well. I won't care if they copied it into the game...my two cents.

12. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    BTW, guys, can you tell me what are Spinel's best moves? She is such a drag in Ch 3. Whoever thought that a thief-mage with virtually no direct damage abilities that could affect multiple enemies would be fun?

13. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    i just gave her up immediately after i got the monk at ch.2:mad:

14. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    lol! Same here, call me sexist but the moment I got the chance to use the monk I ditched her immediately. Credit to her voice actress though because I thought her's was probably the most well done.

15. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Yeah, it's not a great port.

I had the PSP version first, and played a ways into it, then got this for $5 figuring it would be basically as good (except for the controls). It's not. I kinda feel dumb for buying this version actually. But oh well, not a big deal. And it's still a pretty good game.

16. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Yea, well, in chapter 3 Lahduk isn't so hot either so far because everything that doesn't hurt/kill multiple enemies at once is kinda useless against the random encounters. He always gets a crown for ambushes, though, so he is a little better than Spinel.

Spinel is pretty much the only character to consistently pull crit combos, but again, while amusing to watch, killing just one enemy out of 4 when Killian can kill all of them with his Cross-Slash, is a waste of time.

I wish they'd have mixed up the random encounters more, with some being powerful single enemies and some being much faster than most of the party, etc.
    Also, it would be nice if de-buffs didn't suck. I mean, who needs poison, confusion, sleep or plague when most combats don't take more than a round? And unlike direct damage spells these de-buffs _miss_ most of the time at that.

17. N2oXide

N2oXide Active Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Spinel and Lahduk are the damage dealers. Keep them both in your party.

Don't bother leveling Henson up, there'll be a little... interference and it won't matter in the end anyway.

Also go into options and look at your movement pad options asap. I don't understand why you guys aren't doing this, I did this when I first got the app before my first fight when I realised movement was going to be shit. Brains, people...

ALSO DROP INTO THAT HOLE (YOU KNOW WHICH ONE) and buy the Mercury(or something like that) boots when you can. This is before the mountain being guarded by that ogre thing. Buy 1 and equip on Killian and don't take it off for better boots. You'll understand why when you get it.

18. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Can't agree with this. Killian and Henson are the damage-dealers. Even Gelts would be a better damage-dealer than those 2 if he had higher Agility. Basically, so far in this game one-enemy attacks are only useful against bosses (1% of the time) and even then AoE attacks work just as well. Also, both Lahduk and Spinel have lame dual combo technics.
    Now, if they had Lightining Rage as a dual combo between themselves... but they don't.

I hope that you are joking! I thought that it was a temporary thing! It would be very sad to be without a mage for the duration...

19. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    How to get the healing and restoration amulets and passive skill that regenerate MP for Henson Work ? :( they seem to work randomly.

20. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    It's a bug, you must unequip it before saving and reequip after loading otherwise it won't work.