Universal Crossword Dungeon (by Nolithius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Looks awesome, will purchase when it's universal

2. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I'm with most of you this is a great concept. I'm level 42 or something now and just stopped because the game crashed.

I'd give it 5 stars but for the crashing, as it has happened a couple times. As the 'dungeons' get larger this gets more annoying because you go back to your save at entry to that floor.

Hopefully this is fixed really soon. But great concept and execution otherwise!

3. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    5 star submitted. :) Very well deserved aside from a few kinks and corrections that need to be worked out on this gem, but it's still lots of fun!

4. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Ditto!

5. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Huge fan of weird puzzle/RPG hybrids! Just picked this one up; looking forward to sitting down and playing it!

Couldn't help but notice a great debut on the top RPG charts as well. Hope the sales are great :)

6. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Another mistake:"jovial" does not mean "young or youthful". It means "cheerful and friendly".

Perhaps you were thinking of "juvenile?"

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    ^ same here. I keep getting crashes every few minutes. Great game, but this is preventing me from progressing much further than dungeon level 26.

8. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    This. Maybe before, who knows?
    Is there replayability here or is the puzzle sequence always the same?

9. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    The layout appears to be random to me and I'm on floor 30 now and seeing a lot of repeat clues. I think when the developer gets the word list on the cloud for easy updates that it will be taken care of.

10. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    After playing a bit and seeing the developer is active in the thread (awesome) I have a couple suggestions to throw in for the long haul.

-a word counter for each floor. Sometimes I'm not sure If I got everything when I find the exit.
    -i'm at floor 30 and the enemies don't seem to be getting harder. I think it would be great to have a Boss, maybe every 10 floors. An enemy on a super hard word that can survive some critical hits—just moves to another square until defeated. But can also hit pretty hard.
    -I t've really only played with the thief but I think those are the only changes, aside from fixing the crashes and adding more clues.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

HA! I have exactly this word right now and were not able to solve it until now. Thanks!

12. Stustaff

Stustaff Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    #52 Stustaff, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    GAH very disappointed.

Needs 5.1???? Why?

Now can't get this.

Dev is this a mistake? seems unnecessary that it won't run on at least 5.0 upwards.

13. abodi

abodi Active Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Same. I'm on 5 and any get this game now. Sorry dev.

14. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I'm slightly bemused, got to level 19 (lvl 18 beserker) and died though did not make a mistake, merrily spelling out a word and just got my ass kicked, didn't get a letter wrong, just destroyed by skeleton archers picking off hitpoints before I can even get to them.

Happily do it again but must admit I'm somewhat baffled by the mechanics. For a start why do I need criticals and stun etc when everything dies in 1 hit!?

15. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I really really want to like this game but it feels so rushed and I hate paying for betas. Lots of clues have answers that are just plain wrong, found a couple of spelling mistakes (Sweden is only spelled with one "E"), there are way too little words, most words are too easy and a tutorial explaining the mechanics would be helpful too. Also first strike seems like a cheap ability for the enemies to have, its usually what kills me. It beats me how this game has such high ratings. It has def potential though.

16. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Same here - level 9, not a single mistake. Game Over. WTF?!

Seems like very stupid game mechanics here. Giving up already - I'd rather play a game where when I don't make a mistake, I have a chance of carrying on!

Jamie.

17. panama chief

panama chief Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    #57 panama chief, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    Same thing but way earlier. Those wolf/dogs who early strike knocked all my hp out and the only sections with hp were the "free" blocks that auto select a letter for you.

Dev you have to adjust this....

Also, more early game words. After 3 games its like the first 5 dungeons answers are all repeats.

18. Mars2406

Mars2406 New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    I'm having fun with the game so far. For everyone who is losing, part of the strategy for this game is guessing the wrong letter to heal and get extra xp.

I found a bug in that my rogue's top tier abilities are not increasing when I pick them. They stay at zero.

The game does need a bigger clue list. I could see myself playing a lot with that addition.

19. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    And... isn't the capital city of the U.S. 'Washington' and not 'Washingtondc'?!

Guessable of course... but c'mon...

20. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Well, it's not Washingtondc of course, but Washington D.C. Which is the correct name for it.