Crow - (by Sunside Inc.) [Universal/2012]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 12, 2011.

1. sunsidegames

sunsidegames Well-Known Member

LOL Sanaku, are those buttons big enough? :) I think I still have a few pixels of my screen over here that aren't covered by them.

In any case I appreciate your efforts to let the world know we exist!

Richard Cowgill
    (not gonna do my sig cause I think Sanaku has us covered)

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

They fit Perfect. Sometimes something doesn`t have to be Perfect to be still it.

3. GURU2028

GURU2028 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
  4. Creamer2010

Creamer2010 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Poland
    Thanks Sanuku for this video,game works great on Iphone 4.I hope that it will work just fine on an iPod Touch 4g

5. sunsidegames

Creamer, the Radiance engine gets great performance. We haven't made a big deal out of it, but we currently get 30fps nearly at all times with Crow. We run exactly the same details and quality on the 3GS iPhone and we get a smooth framerate there too! The only difference is the screen, since a 3GS doesn't have the Retina Display.

We're a very small developer but we're competing with the bigger studios and more established engines like Unity and U3. We're going to be talking alot more about Radiance and what other developers can do with it after Crow ships. So when we say that Radiance is tuned for mobile hardware, especially iOS, we aren't kidding!

Richard Cowgill
    www.facebook.com/sunsidegames

6. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    The game has really got me exited. A crow really has that mysterious feeling in this game. The effects look great to. I hope its a big world we can fly in and lots of hours on gameplay.
    Although the guy in that gameplay video is like really jumpy and that got on my nerves:p
    Would be more awesome if a game like this would be free roaming but i guess its devided in maps? Or do you have to navigate the crow to a cave and then the cave level loads?
    Some more info about how the game works would be cool:)

7. sunsidegames

Hey Borgqueenx, the official gameplay video runs for 10 mins. If you haven't seen it, it may answer alot of your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlgJYdUxKo

The only downside in watching this I suppose is there are a few spoilers. But rest assured as much as is shown here, there's alot that wasn't shown. And our gameplay video is alot less jumpy. =)

Richard Cowgill

8. The game looks phenomenal. Surprised to see this wasn't Unity which is what we went with. Is Radiance an in house engine? What was the reason behind going with it?

9. sunsidegames

Thanks John! Radiance is in house. We actually wanted to create an engine that we can offer to other developers down the road. It's multiplatform and very powerful. We push the iOS hardware farther than most engines I think, as we do alot with translucency and environment FX that tend to bring the hardware to a crawl. But Radiance is tuned in such a way that (as I said before) we even get 30fps on 3GS hardware.

Crow is a good first game for us as it shows what Radiance can do, rendering large landscapes, how it supports multitouch and all that. After Crow ships I think we'll be talking alot more about our Radiance plans.

Richard Cowgill

10. Yeah, even Unity warns against using particles in iOS. We used mostly sprite maps just as a precaution and don't do a ton with them.

I will say your game looks beautiful but your models are a bit low poly. They do look great but will you support an LOD for different versions with iPad3 and iPhone 5 around the bend? I know it's a bit of a crazy question but if you build your own engine maybe you can blow my mind with assets too.

How big is your team and how long has crow been in development? Do you have any interviews I can read to learn more about the company? Are you just enthusiasts like us or does most of your team have a professional game development background?

11. sunsidegames

Actually Crow isn't very low poly at all, we push triangles pretty hard, just about maxing out the hardware in many cases. I think soon we may start showing some of the rendered art in a behind the scenes kinda way.

When it comes to future iOS hardware I expect we'll support them with updates of all kinds! But we don't know exactly what iPad3 or iPhone5 hardware will look like yet, all kinds of rumors on that you know. Of course Radiance is very scalable and we plan to be there on those next gen devices.

Crow is primarily developed by 2 people, myself and one other person. We have gotten a small amount of help a few contractors, but very little of their work has been shown so far (aside from the musical score which is fantastic!). You could say Sunside is the ultimate indie outfit, we're very very small but we plan on offering something much bigger than our size would imply. But yeah our backgrounds are professional, I've worked on a number of pro games.

I did an interview for unboundgamer.com a while back, they also recently did a preview of the game and had alot of nice things to say:
    http://www.unboundgamer.com/_/exclusive-crow-for-ios-interview-r493

Richard Cowgill

12. #53 John Francis, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    Great interview. We really have a lot in common with what we're trying to do in iOS. Our game is probably around 2-3 hour mark and focuses alot on story and quality experiences. I think and your game looks fantastic. We had a team of 4 and they have been awesome considering our game has been made pretty much on weekends. Unity has been great but as you polish Radiance I'd love to hear more about it in the coming months. I'll certainly buy the game as soon as it's available too so keep us updated.

Also, you can check out our 3D hidden object game The Secret Castle if you have a minute and let me know what you think.

13. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Oh crap. Infinity blade 2 was the only game i ever bought for its full price on day 1.
    Can you say if you will support the ipad 3's resolution display in a update? If yes this will be another game i buy on day 1.

14. sunsidegames

Hey thats pretty cool! Really good way to use the iDevice gyroscope, its a very intriguing design. Who says there isn't any innovation on the iPad! I see tons.

Richard Cowgill

15. sunsidegames

I'm a huge fan of the iPad, I'm really big on making sure we fully support it. If the rumors are true and the iPad 3 gets a Retina display, of course we would support it. I'm curious about when the iPad 3 will ship, could be we'll be out before them!

Crow is our baby in many respects. =) We're going to make sure it's supported, updated, and we're going to be listening to gamer feedback intensely. You can bet that iPad 3 support will be just one of many things we do with the game.

Richard Cowgill

16. Thanks a ton. We're almost done so I'll update you when it's on the market. Likewise, keep this thread updated, I'll track you through FB but if you guys are close to submitting I want to see some coverage and know when this thing releases.

17. Creamer2010

Creamer2010 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Poland
    Great message Richard,i cant wait,to play this

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    3 questions.

Is it universal?
    How much it'll weigh in mbs(price doesnt matter)?
    Eta?

19. sunsidegames

Universal? Yes.

Size? Crow will be about 300MB, plus or minus 30MB. We're making it as small as possible without sacrificing quality.

ETA? We are on track for an April-May release. We are in beta and the game is mostly complete.

We have been planning a $4.99 price point, and we've debated what that price should be quite a bit. What do you think?

Richard Cowgill