Current best RPG / Action RPG / or Strategy games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by transcend11, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Even though Xenome looks good, I'm waiting for Rimelands more tbh.

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I don't think I'd classify AC as an RPG though, but I can see what you mean about getting two games for the price of one. Not GL games mind you as I hate their games, but two other good games.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Final Fantasy 1 & 2 came out at the exact same price as their PSX and GBA counterparts - the first time I've seen a game on the app store cost as much as a "real" copy. (And by "real" I mean not DRM'd physical copy that I could trade/sell to someone else or play in an emulator or whatever...)

PS> I'm not saying they're overpriced - just making the observation...

4. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Also retro - very much a homage to The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall. As is the whole game, really, minus the randomness. Therefore expansiveness, no hand-holding, etc.

Anyway, I hated most of the action RPGs on the Appstore so far. The controls just don't work for me and combat is pretty devoid of tactics and massively repetitive, IMHO. I mildly liked the Lites of the Dungeon Hunter and Across Age - enough to buy the first for a buck during a sale (but not start it yet).
    The closest thing to an action RPG that I actually loved was Space Miner: Ore or Bust.

As for turn-based RPGs - I loved Undercroft, Monster RPG 2 and yes, the Quest.

Turn-based strategy: love Battle for Wesnoth for single-player and used to love Uniwar for asynchronous multi-player (I ultimately tired of remembering to look for Wi-Fi spots for my iPod - if I had a phone I probably would have been playing it still).

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    FF1 and 2 cost less than their PSP equivalents, though -- that's the version that SE released for the iPhone.

@Balu`:Rimelands could very well be the sleeper hit of the year -- certainly one of the most interesting games I've played in a long time (even in its pre-beta version). Anyone who has fond memories of table-top RPGs should get a big kick out of it.

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I was referring to Chaos Rings, FF1+2 not so much. Should have been more specific.

With that said, isn't the iPhone version a port of the PSP version, not the PSX or GBA versions?

They're pretty similar, but the PSP version had at least one exclusive dungeon. I don't know what else it had the others didn't, either way it's not overpriced when compared to the PSP version.

The PSX and GBA versions were less than 20 bucks though(for both)? If that's true, then that's surprising. That's pretty cheap.

7. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Axion is a really awesome and underrated Action RPG I actually enjoyed it more than Zenonia.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    youve got to be kidding me.

9. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    What? I liked it alot.

10. iTracki

iTracki Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    GL games are okay in my opinion, it's just that they never update. :(

11. iTracki

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    Lol, I've never even heard of it :p

12. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    It's pretty awesome and the combat system is alot more enjoyable than zenonia's as well as alot of features it doesn't have. The controls are a little sticky but when you get used to it it is really fun.

13. iTracki

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    Thanks, I'll search it up :)

UPDATE: Lol, recognized it once I saw the app icon. Saw the game before, seems a lot like Zenonia?

14. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Yeah it's similar but different as well. The Combat system is pretty unique with the combos and such and the pet system is cool as well.

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    did you beat it? if so then how long did it take?

16. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    I actually haven't beat it yet but I have but probably about 10 hours in into it? It starts off kind of slow but gets addicting later on.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    thats odd, since it was quite the opposite for me. I liked it at first, but after about 6 hours into it, the monsters just took way too much grinding to be able to beat. and the store only providing new equips every 10 levels is just ridiculous.

18. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Ah... I am one of those people who actually enjoy Grinding. Not for everybody I guess I myself just really dug the combat system.

19. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Wait, so you like The Quest's graphics, but games like Zenonia and Phoenix Wright's graphics are too disgustingly horrid for you to even consider playing? Now that's something.

No offense, but you seem like you might be one of those people who hate anything even slightly 'anime' orientated, or just anything Japanese/Asian-like in general, to the extent that it overrides everything else. Not saying you are, but it's an easy conclusion to draw.

20. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    That is a correct conclusion. The reason I absolutely hate everything that has 'anime-style' graphics is, that I find that style far too simple and not detailed enough to make the game, series or whatever even a bit enjoyable.