Current best RPG / Action RPG / or Strategy games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by transcend11, Jun 28, 2010.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    im into grinding too man, i played zenonia and inotia series a ton.
    but the thing is like..the combat is so unforgiving, and it feels laggy and glitchy too. also the thing with the revive stones is gay.

2. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    But the best RPGS (not ARPGS) for the iDevice in general imo are

Monster RPG
    Wolfenstein RPG
    Doom 2 RPG
    Chaos Rings
    And Also Epic Dragon is a pretty awesome little RPG as well.

3. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Ah, What device are you on?

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    2nd gen, iOS 4.
    well maybe i should reinstall and try again with new OS. i guess i will.

5. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    To each his own, I guess, though I've always been mystified about the mentality of 'anime-haters' and the ridiculous amounts of hatred they seem to harbour towards it.

6. nephilim apps

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Ah I am on a 3rd gen touch so maybe thats why my performance feel great.

7. Prophecy07

Prophecy07 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Holy crap, I think that is the first time in my life I have seen someone use the word "Orientate" correctly and in a sentence. Even if it was an accident.

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    im not sure I have ever seen that word. I thought it was oriented.

9. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    I've finished Axion pretty quickly for my second time. First time i played as the attacker and pretty much died really early and restarted.
    The second time i tried the defender, and for the 3 primary skills i got exp bonus, increase defence and increase hp. Maxed the exp bonus first and found leveling extremely easy. Finished the game when i was lvl 80 and then got into hell mode - level 99 vs level 50 monsters :p

10. keithburgun

keithburgun Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Game Design, Author
    Westchester, NY
    If it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, 100 Rogues is definitely worth looking into. New version getting pushed today to Apple.

11. Kaos999

Kaos999 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Australia
    For me, The Quest is easily the deepest and most addictive RPG on the Appstore, but it takes a little bit to get into and the graphics can turn some people away.

Chaos Rings was pretty fun.

I'm playing Zenonia, and it really just feels boring and grindy. All the enemies are pretty much the same. It took until the second dungeon to find an enemy that has a range attack, for example.

Turn Based Strategy wise, Battle for Wesnoth is pretty good.

12. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Kinda quoted the wrong person there. And it wasn't really an accident, otherwise I...wouldn't have used it =/

I actually looked it up, apparently orientate is the British way of spelling it, which probably explains why it sounds more natural to me.

13. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    For me:
    • Undercroft: Best classical RPG.
    • Doom 2 RPG: Best dungeon crawler (but this one has also a lot of story content).
    • Ravenloft: Best Action RPG even if it is too short.
    • Puzzle Quest: Best Puzzle RPG even if it is quite blurry.
    • Nethack HD: Best Roguelike on ipad.
    • Dungeon Hunter: Best Diablo like.
    • Highborn: Best Tactical RPG despite the second degree humor, but in this category I haven't explore enough.

That said, in comparison with computer or the DS, the quality doesn't match the best on those devices.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Honestly, I think Puzzle Quest is completely overrated. The random generator is so broken that it sets up humongous x20 chains with single moves...so basically your enemy can get lucky one time and you lose all of your health. It's horribly frustrating because the game turns into a big grindfest and/or completely dependent on sheer luck to win. You basically have zero control over the outcome, no matter how well you play.

15. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    #75 Qordobo, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    I don't think it's a random generator broken, this could happen but very rarely. Myself I never seen one chain killing my character at full health.

I had sometime this sort of feeling but the point is that with the right items and spells with the right opponent and an opponent not too stronger than you, you have almost no chance to lost. You could get bad luck and get a dramatic health drop down but up to lost a battle you play very well that's very very rare.

But if Puzzle Quest didn't create this category it clearly made it popular and has been released on many different devices, so it will keep its fame for a long time if not forever.

For me the problem is more coming from two points:
    • This too abstract puzzle system don't fit me well, I tends easily not see the next move in the mass of abstract pawns.
    • The difficulty to predict few moves ahead this sort of abstract puzzle and that because you don't know what tiles will drop it's not very efficient to try combine few moves ahead.
    But anyway it's not a random game, it resorts more of strategies you apply and not miss the good moves than combine long complicate tactics.

It could be overrated but it's a good one. Now in general it's just I don't know better for an ipad. For example for the DS, Might & Magic Clash of Heroes is for me hugely better but quote it has too a part of random but not as much.

16. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    You clearly haven't played the game very much. I played through completely (50+ hours) and the issue with the random generator has happened many, many times. Other people have had the same issue too. Even with the right spells and the best items and stats, the game can wipe out your progress in a few turns.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    i dont know about just one chain killing you, but yes im often left with 10-20% of my hp after one move.

18. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    A game you finish and played 50+ hours and it's a crap?

I reach level 26, probably half of the game, Mac version, if I got once a chain dropping my health to 25% it's not twice in same fight, and 25% is enough to win. I lost battles but my opponent was statistically better than my character, not from pure random. If it's even chance then there's random for both side and yes I lost or win some battles like that, but it's not a good idea to fight an opponent you don't dominate through a strategy/items.

But lost a fight isn't end of game it's even a part of the game to lost some fights. Also the game doesn't force you do such fights, just let you do it. So I lost few battles like that but then had another path before to come back later to this fight. Or perhaps it's later in the game that the problem becomes obvious?

On ipad my character is still lower level so if the iphone version has a specific problem, perhaps I didn't notice yet.

That said I agree that system has a too high level of random but it still has strategy and is a good game anyway and there's nothing better in this category on an ipad, and it worth the advice to play it.

19. iTracki

iTracki Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    I tried Puzzle Quest, thought it was a good game but never really got that into it. By the way, people should really look into Crusade of Destiny, really good graphics for an iPhone game plus it's only a buck!

20. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    lol the graphics arent what id call good, but yes it's a good game.