iPhone Cursed Loot (by Eyehook Games LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eyehookgames, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Swiss Guy

Swiss Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    it works, I had mistaken two different effect :eek:

(and no problem with 9.3 on an Air 2)

also I am sure that you can adapt it for phone

and maybe an improvement could be to separate "melee hit" and "movement" command, like the special attack own its proper interface,

to hit the three block in front of the hero you have to move him in the desired direction, that's what could make the game tricky on a small screen but the rest is ok

2. #42 eyehookgames, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Cursed Loot 1.1 is now available for download.

* Added a virtual d-pad (enabled by default), tap the center to interact with ladders, chests, etc.
    * Tightened up touch movement (if the d-pad is disabled in options)
    * Fixed some graphical issues that I was experiencing with iOS 9.3

This was a quick patch release, and I will be adding a lot more in future releases. Thanks everybody for playing Cursed Loot, I hope you all enjoy it!

3. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Ooh, very nice. I'll have to try the improved touch movement.

For the d-pad, I would recommend making the actual response area quite a bit larger than the actual d-pad graphic, with the directions divided up as 45ยบ 'slices'. I noticed that it has a rather narrow response range, and you often stop moving if your thumb happens to wander off the edge. I think it just needs that one little tweak, though; the positioning is very comfortable. Lots of devs seem to think putting controls in the bottom corners of the iPad screen is a good idea.

4. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016

I have been eagerly waiting on this update. I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the positioning of the D-Pad. I am not able to comfortably reach up to that point on the screen, not even close.. I play on Mini-2.. The button needs to be at the bottom, for me..

Did I overlook 'button repositioning' in the options, or does it not exist?

5. #45 eyehookgames, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Thanks for the great feedback!

I'm thinking that if you move off of the d-pad it keeps your current direction (easy enough). Rather than 45 degrees for each direction, I kind of like having it the way it is, though, where diagonals only kick into effect after moving out of the dead zone (or, it would be a bit too twitchy, imho). I will also look into giving the option to reposition the d-pad (easy... but...). Currently leaning toward a repositioning handle, so you can reposition the controls wherever you want. A bit of a pain, but worth it.

There is also still a bit of cleanup to do. The class portrait colors are still a bit off (already fixed), and I'd like to add a bit more bling as well.

Any other feedback is welcome! I'll admit, this is a hobby for me, but I really enjoy working with everybody to make Cursed Loot as awesome as possible. :D

--
    Eyehook Games LLC
    @eyehookgames

6. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Heck of a hobby... I will keep watching (and playing) for your updates.. Thanks!

7. #47 eyehookgames, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Wow! Well done King Papyrus! First person to escape Cursed Loot in hard mode (with a really good time). Dang. I wrote the game, and I would be challenged to beat that time... Y'know, I could, but... um...

Anyway, working on the next patch. Obviously, still tweaking the touch controls, but getting there. I'm looking forward to the point where I am adding content rather than messing with the controls. But I think they are seriously close. I know MFi is solid, and just a few more tweaks here and there for touch...

Anyway, thanks all who have checked out Cursed Loot! Please let me know if you have any problems, I'm hoping to move on to full on marketing mode soon, so please let me know if something sucks, because I'd rather fix it first. :D

8. Swiss Guy

Swiss Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    #48 Swiss Guy, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    I have a question Mike, could you explain how DEX influence hit rating.

Is there some miss/hit chance based on monsters/dungeon/player level ?

I dunno if I should invest point in it, or just obtain a sort of "soft cap" that garantee a smooth progression.

Also dodge is in theory superior to mitigation (END) because you totally avoid damage.

But again I can't figure how it works, no math needed but just general advice.

the d-pad itself is well designed but JohnnyC is right with position, rough to use it with my Air 2 ^^

9. Yes DEX affects your ability to hit enemies and to dodge their attacks. For a smooth progression, you should have DEX approximately equal to the depth that you are at. You will notice that there is a "Miss" sound that plays when you do not hit an enemy. If this is happening a lot, then you really need to invest in more DEX. Very high DEX will make it difficult for enemies to hit you, so I tend to actually invest more in DEX than in DEF, but it does have diminishing returns, so you do need to balance them out a bit.

I've taken a little break from Cursed Loot, but now that winter has returned (apparently), I'm back on development tomorrow. I will look into repositioning the d-pad and other miscellaneous clean up, but I'm going to take some more time on this release, because it will be the "final" release before doing my marketing, so all feedback is welcome, so I can make it as good as possible before I start asking for reviews.

Thanks!

10. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    iPhone version.

11. I have submitted Cursed Loot v1.2 to the app store, including D-Pad enhancements and graphical cleanup.

The HUD has changed a bit (eg, click on the depth button now for the map). Overall, I feel it is pretty good (although, of course, I found a typo-ish bug, but I am trying embrace it... blarg).

But anyway, look forward to a new and improved Cursed Loot in your very near future. :)

Next up is a lot of just pure behind the scenes clean-up. Looking forward to making the code a lot more clean and extendible. I want to add cool stuff like gas clouds and more traps, so I guess now is the time to rack up those high scores. :) And, yeah, iPhone is gonna take forever.

--
    Mike @ Eyehook Games

12. Cursed Loot 1.2 is now available on the App Store:

* Improved d-pad controls
    * The d-pad can be repositioned in the "Options" menu
    * Graphical clean up (reworked the HUD, and cleaned up some of the class portraits)

A pretty minor release, but it does address issues that people were having with the d-pad. Hopefully, it's all good now, so I can move on to doing more fun stuff like adding new traps, etc. :)

Enjoy!

13. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Is this still iOS 9 only? I've kept my iPad on 8 and I'm sticking with it for now - iPhone is 9 though, in case you fancy getting on with that universal compatability update anytime soon?! #

14. BigJuice

BigJuice Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Iphone! Pretty please. Thought I'd at least give it a try. I've been checking this post to see if there's been an update with an iphone release, but I really like these types of games and would for sure pay to play it. Thank you!

15. I definitely hear everybody about universal support. Unfortunately, I've decided to spend my time on adding new content or maybe a new game (that WILL have universal support). :) I just feel like with the time it would take for me to shoehorn Cursed Loot onto an iPhone 5 screen, I could make something much better if I start from scratch with iPhone support in mind. Also, I'm lazy.

16. BigJuice

BigJuice Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Thanks for the reply and I hear you. Looking forward to a possibility then, if not with cursed loot then with a similar game.

17. cadillackills

cadillackills Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Just awesome. I was late to work thanks to this. Game pad works flawlessly. Progression feels great, on par with cardinal quest (personal favorite). Great job, and thank you!

18. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    I'd just be happy with iOS 8 compatability?

Someone above mentioned this is on a par with Cardinal Quest 2 and that is one of my all time favourite games, so now I'm even more gutted I can't play this. :(

My iPad is jailbroken for file transferring and a few other tweaks I use for work - as there's no jailbreak available for the current 9.x iOS builds, I can't upgrade my firmware without losing the jailbreak functionality.

19. Yeah that sucks. I took a peek, and unfortunately I use a lot of new stuff from iOS 9. :( Bleh.