Universal Cytus (by Rayark Inc.) - Musical Rhythm

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by November's Chopin, Jan 13, 2012.

1. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    There's also ReRave, which also has some Ouendan elemants.
    Thanks for mentioning that this game doesn't have IAP songs. I have come to expect rhythm games to have 0.99 cent per song packs, so 0.99 for an entire game sounds like a good deal.

2. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Actually its four songs per pack. ;)

3. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Fun game, great song selection, but man, they need to fix the lag. The songs stutter all over the place.

4. RodmanSan

RodmanSan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Project Management Architect
    E-Troid, the Netherlands
    Great game...really liking it as i played the hell out of all DJ Max games on my PSP.

But please....please add autorotate for the iPad....:eek:

I simply do not understand why devs do not add this feature as a standard in their apps.

5. RodmanSan

Oct 7, 2010
    E-Troid, the Netherlands
    Played the game some more...and as a dance musician i have to say that alot of triggers in the songs are totally off beat.

This game needs some way tighter sequencing of these button presses to get better scoring in game....and alot of bad and miss button triggers happen due to the fact that it is out of sync with the beat or song.

Please verify and edit all your tracks....or mail me if you need some help....:D

6. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I'm in love with this game! Enjoying it more than groove coaster, to be honest.

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Just got this and played a few songs. Awesome game! I've barely played played Groove Coaster, but both are pretty good. I like of like the mechanics and song selections better on Cytus so far. =D

8. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #48 bigrand1, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    Man, and I thought I was the only one! Kept at this game and always shake my head at the incredible kudos people keep showering on this mess. Doesn't feel right. Seems way off beat. Unless people are playing it with the sound off, and even then, I'm just not seeing how this is better than Groove Coaster at all. Some tunes play super laggy. Not saying an update couldn't make a big difference, but just how it sits right now it seems sub-par IMO. Sorry, man, but game play trumps 'polish' in my book every time.

9. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    i just feel no autorotate is purely stupid.

other than that the game plays ok.
    Some notes are off beats, but the music are really catchy and well done.

10. Rayark Inc

Rayark Inc Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Game Developer
    Taiwan
    Greetings from Cytus Team

Hey there everyone,

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. They have been noted, and careful consideration will be given to each of them.

The Cytus team would also like to take this opportunity to address some of the most commonly mentioned questions from our players.

Q1: Will auto-rotation be implemented into the game?
    A: Auto-rotation will be implemented to the next update! You may also choose your preferred screen orientation in title screen.

Q2: Will there be adjustments to the timing window of some slightly off-beat notes?
    A: We are aware of the said issue, and some of the note charts are already being modified. The game will be updated with the adjusted timing windows as soon as they are complete.

Q3: Will there be any in-app purchases in future updates?
    A: No, there won't be any in-app purchases in Cytus! This is a promise we’d like to keep to our fellow gamers. New content will continuously be made available through update – all for free!!

Q4: Will there be harder difficulty levels in the game?
    A: We have taken into consideration the request by some of our players for harder difficulty levels and songs. The current version was designed so that the majority of players – even beginners of the music game genre – would be able to enjoy the game.

Our team plans to respond and interact with our fans here on a regular basis from now on. Thanks again for all of your support for Cytus. We really hope you enjoy playing the game as much as we enjoyed making it.

Cheers,
    Cytus Team

11. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    wow i am glad to hear there will be free updates.
    keep up the good work guys:)

12. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I just wanted to chime in and say great game! I have some heavy hitting music and rhythm applications/games on my iPod and this still stands out.

The only thing I really want to be added (badly) is GC achievements. I don't really care too much about leaderboards, but I use GC ach. as challenges.

Well...maybe make the background pop more--be more colorful or the notes have more effects/animation when you tap them. I'm not too far into the game yet, so my view my change.

13. RodmanSan

Oct 7, 2010
    E-Troid, the Netherlands
    Helluw Rayark....

Tx for the update...really apreciated that you listen to your users....:)

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Apologies, Maythius, I missed mention of it before. I'm going to go check it out now. As Justin said above, one of the issues that I find off putting here is that the placement of the notes is all over the screen. In the Ouendan games and in EBA, they are grouped in a way that makes more sense (Cytus does do that in spots too.

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #55 tops2, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    @Rayark Inc: Thanks for the updates. Yeah, syncing up notes would be great. I'm on 4th gen ipod touch and also experience a few random chugging along and a crash or two. Maybe some memory optimizations (especially for ipod touch) would be great too. Otherwise, fun game and I love the music selection (personal taste).

Edit: O yeah, maybe add a music player in game so we can select which tracks we want to just listen to. Or provide a link to the soundtrack? =D

16. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    Well I am glad I got this gem. Seeing the devs here and listening to us makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Goofy, you should change your name to Gamecenter. :p

17. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Unless I overlooked it, I saw no mention of addressing the issue of lag. It's a music game. The lag is kind of a big issue. Please fix that.

Thanks

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The game already has a pretty solid built-in (and recorded) challenge to work towards, namely, getting a million points and a master medal (100% perfect hits) for each song on easy and hard. Achievements should be for doing things above and beyond normal gameplay, not just finishing a level or doing something you'd do anyway as part of usual play; for a game as straightforward as this, that could be hard to pull off. Achievements would likely be of the "Get a combo of 50/100/200/300 notes", "Get 50/100/200/300 perfect hits in a song", or "Get a B/A/S/M rank for 5/10/15 songs" variety, all of which you need to accomplish anyway in the course of achieving total mastery.

As for the game, there are a couple of things that need to be addressed:

1) Crashes. The game has the not-uncommon habit of going pear-shaped after only one or two songs on a 4th-gen iPod Touch. Better memory management would be good here - I would assume the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 aren't running into this issue so much.

2) Hitching at the beginning of songs. There is often a stutter the first time a song starts up, not unlike the stutter that occurs when a game tries to connect to GC. This can be worked around by simply restarting the song a few seconds in, but this shouldn't be necessary.

3) Holds. Fix these so that you need to start the hold at the circle for it to register, like a normal note; at the moment there is no timing required, and you can get a perfect just by pressing the screen for the duration of the hold, even if you start pressing well before the hold actually begins.

4) Spacial awareness for different devices. There is at least one song that has a dual hold and then pops a note up beneath the exact spot where the player's right thumb would be on an iPod/iPhone, rendering it basically invisible and easily missed. The layout for songs should take this kind of thing into account, and not unfairly place notes where a player is unlikely to see them because of the positioning of their hands/fingers/thumbs on a smaller device. I believe one or two songs also do a brief run of triple notes, and these feel jarring for a game that can otherwise be played with two thumbs.

5) Keep the simple, refined aesthetic. The game certainly doesn't need psychedelic animations flaring in the background or, gods forbid, animated dancers.

6) Difficulty levels. Add an "Insane/Expert" level to satisfy the more masochistic music game fans, but continue to produce Easy/Hard as normal. I'd say that it's a safe bet that the majority of players haven't yet M-ranked every song in the game on hard, so the existing challenge is about right. The game tends to be harder on the iPod/iPhone than it is on the iPad because of a combination of reduced screen real estate and the way you hold the device, so an examination of this might also be in order.

7) Song choice. While this is subjective, there are already enough music games out there burdened down with endless soulless techno tracks, so Cytus keeping its focus on more evocative music would be preferable. Ververg, Retrospective, Sacred, Sanctity, Les Parfums de L'Amour, Precipitation, Saika and Entrance are examples of songs that are compelling or just plain fun. Green Eyes, Nocturnal Type and The Silence, on the other hand, are quite boring and sound like they were lifted from mid-90s MOD files - I'd prefer to see Cytus pursuing the gothic, instrumental, piano, jazz or J-pop avenues rather than predictable, worn-out electronic music.

The developer mentioned fixing the mistimed notes that appear in a couple of the songs if that's the issue to which you were referring, but playing purely by the rhythm/music I've achieved mastery for several of the songs and A/S ranks for many others, and thus far have witnessed no evidence of a universal "lag" issue with the game.

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Off topic, but I gave Osu Stream a try. While it seems to be done well, I simply don't want a multi-touch game. I need to go play Ready Steady Go....

20. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Great! Thanks for plugging into gamer's issues and planning to address them! That goes a long way here! See? Now we're on the right track! :D