Universal Daddy Was A Thief (by Rebel Twins)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 8, 2013.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I agree that this game has like 6-8 floors that repeats over and over with some pachinko sections in between but probably when all items are unlock the game probably will boost in addictiveness. So far its fun and Ill keep trying.

Oh, and by the way, hilarious comment on the front page that its true: It really looks like Andy Richter xDDD

2. rebel twins

rebel twins Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Guys, it's all going well so far so we hope we'll be able to add more awesome features in the next updates! Try to unlock power-ups and upgrades. It spice up your gameplay.

@Connector We're going to release GameStick version of Crumble Zone so I will add iCade support to the game as well. I'm not sure about Daddy Was A Thief because I think that the controls in the game works perfectly with touch screens.
    I have to check that before I can promise you changes.

3. Mysticpete

Mysticpete Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Too repetitive

This game needs new content to add variety. It's fun but it has same enemy types and hazards every few floors- It's the same 4-5 floors over and over...:(
    and I aint the only one saying this- heres a pro gamer review of this game;

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Daddy+Was+A+Thief/review.asp?c=50716

Hope updates will change it up abit because I feel after getting a highscore people will lose interest in picking this game up and playing it..
    Maybe instead of just being in the same dull building for whole game..somehow after few floors make him be transported to another building/tower..not sure how..maybe a boss battle at bottom of building and when you defeat them then they boot you off to another building- hows that?
    Just add more variety please

4. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I agree that this is repetitive, but I also am finding it to be quite addictive. More variety in the rooms and enemies would be fantastic. Regardless of whether any new content is added, I am very happy with my purchase.

Does the experience level have any influence on the game or your score besides unlocking some of the upgrades which appear?

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I concur. It could use more variety, but it is still fun and addicting.

6. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    @rebeltwins can you explain how the scoring exactly works. My best floor is 417 with a score of 2.600. slewis7's score is 2.300 with only 290 floors. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
    It would be nice if we can get a coin reward or a power-up for leveling up. Or a higher score multiplier for every new level

7. rebel twins

Jul 16, 2012
    @sink_or_swim You can get scores from the floor achieved and destructions gained during the course of the game. The situation you've just described is possible.

8. Wow, crumble zone with icade support would be great!!! And thanks for putting making the button zones bigger from my earlier request.

I agree with you the controls are great for this game, but if it just could support icade, I'm sure it would be great too, and would impact future sales too cause there will be more and more games soon with icade support.

But thanks for a great game, and whatever you can do for the icade cause, thanks! And if you need any help in implementing or testing let me know. Worked with the devs a bit on getting icade in for Plasma sky, the other bros, and future Fangz, so let me know if you need any help in anyway. Thanks.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The game's mechanics are pretty good, fun and addictive, but it does need a bit more variety to the rooms and other ingame elements.

10. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Really like this. These guys (this guy?) are great at making a seemingly too-simple game suck you in. And if I'm not mistaken, Crumble Zone had a couple of updates with new powerups, etc.

11. Yeah, I agree. Needs alittle more flair. But the gameplay is very solid and fun. The humour is very funny too. The controls work well, and while I would love icade controls, the game works very well.

Kinda might be cool if there were rockets or bombs or something that dropped from the top to bottom, or maybe some electrolized power gates where you get electrified if you go hit them.

This game, maybe I could play on hdmi tv sideways, we'll have to wait til I get home to see if I can force landscape mode, anyway rebel to add landscape mode for hdmi tv?

Attached Files:

12. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #52 TheFrost, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    Solid game all around with a nice pace and fun solid mechanics adorned with a good sense of humor (Daddy WAS... Andy with his arms up surrendering,...), no need for IAP (unless you want to support the dev), interesting powerups and many more. The more I play the more I like it.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Love Rebel Twins previous games... This was an easy decision...

So far:;: I'm lovin it.

Can't wait to unlock more items and really get to score chasing. =oD

14. Reprint from gotw thread

I have both Impossible mission and daddy was a thief.

Both have for the most part pretty good impressions on the threads. Watching youtubes, made me excited to get impossible mission because it looks like a game that is just made perfectly for hdmi tv. However, the difficulty problems expressed by some gamers concerned me.

It is like super hexagon, really hard. There are some control issues too, it would be a perfect game if the controls were a little smoother. But man, the concept, style, and fun are all there. I really like the game, and really look forward to seeing it on tv tonight.

Would definitely highly recommend it. I think maybe on an update they will probably fine tune the controls a bit to make it a little easier to control. But even without it, it just takes a little getting used to, and you will get the hang of it.

Daddy's, I was curious about too, cause I have interacted with the developer before for Crumble zone. Since I play on hdmi, with my ipad all over the place, I wanted moveable controls. The dev worked with me twice to increase the button zones, which basically did the same thing. So I liked the dev cause he was kind to me.

Just like when I entered the Daddy's thread, I asked him if he could add icade joystick support to Daddy's and crumble zone. I was so happy to hear, that he said he will try his best to add icade control to crumble zone, it would be perfect, cause it is such a great hdmi tv game.

I'm still trying to get him to put icade into daddys but anyway, my impressions. Great ios style of game, easy controls, great and simple graphics, great humour, and a difffereent style of game.

Being in portrait mode kinda turns me off a little cause I play most all my games on tv, but I wanted to support this dev cause he is cool. There is a slight repetition factor after awhile that some of us are trying to raise in the thread, but I feel confident that he will add a little more variety in the future updates, he has been very receptive to our past comments, and I really like how he is going to try to put icade into crumble zone.

So yes, I would highly recommend both. Now, if money is tight and one had to choose impossible mission or daddys? Well, that is an interesting question. I think it would tend to rest on ones style or how they play.

I would probably favor impossible road, cause it will play great on tv, is a great motion game which I like, landscape mode, easy controls, and I think they will make the controls more forgiving in a future update. It could be a very frustrating game for newbies though.

Daddys, the dev is way cool, he will update the game for the better at some point, there is great humour, touch controls work well, makes for a great ios game, and it is pretty original in style.

Bottom line, I highly recommend both.

15. rebel twins

Jul 16, 2012
    Hey:) Wow! I like you guys too! We really appreciate all the help we've received from everyone in this forum to make our games better and funnier for players!

@Connector I guess I'll need some help in testing the icad support :) I'll let you know how the things are going!

16. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just saying loving the game, specially the bathtub.

17. Yeah, any help let me know. Look here for some good icade info..

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173262

Be happy to help in anyway possible.

18. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    If you think this game has what it takes to be your Game Of the Week, vote for it here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=188555

B]Please note:
    1) Devs cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members - no outsiders allowed. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.[/B]

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yup - even with a Kemco title, a beat-em-up that's freak'n awesome, another great ARPG, a fantastic DSS and a sweet roguelike - Daddy Was A Thief gets my vote. This game is... simply put... fantastic. I went ahead and purchased some IAP currency, which I almost NEVER do for consumable IAPs (actually, I've purchased consumable IAP for the following; Super Mole Escape, Mutant Fridge Mayhem [both because Grumpyface Studios is another one of my favorite iOS dev teams], Random Heroes 2 [because I want to support Ravenous's movable v.controls and {hopefully} new direction], Phoenix HD [because - c'mon... =oP] and Major Mayhem [because that game just rocks, and even though it went freemium and I purchased the game beforehand, I absolutely love it, and felt it was worth way more than I paid for it])

... but I'm REALLY loving Rebel Twins releases. Night Flight, Crumble Zone and now Daddy Was A Thief are all games that will NEVER be deleted from any of my iDevices. I really REALLY hope that we get to see more titles from them in the future.

DWAT is a little more casual than their previous two titles, but I'm still loving it, and the challenge really ramps up as you get better - I love the depthy scoring system, the combos... ect... it's going to be one of the few games (less than 10 actually) that I play until I unlock all of the achievements as well.

Anyway... LOVE IT!!! that's all... =oD

20. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I keep getting stuck horizontally on the side of the floor above me when I jump up from on top of an object.