Universal Dan The Man (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Aug 19, 2016.

1. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I did the same thing after playing the first level. Wanted to get rid of the ads and having that shotgun is NICE

2. PowderJ

PowderJ New Member

Oct 6, 2016
    #22 PowderJ, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Is anybody else having a problem with IAPs? I'm not seeing any prices and when I try to purchase the "premium" it fails.

EDIT: Nevermind, I restarted my phone and all is well.

3. Fio

Fio Well-Known Member

iPad 2 not supported??

4. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Fantastic stuff here. Didn't know about this one and it was a very pleasant surprise! Dan and Barry for President! And thank you Halfbrick, for bringing us another masterpiece of awesomeness.

5. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Yes, this was a really fun platform fighting game. I did not find all the secret areas though.
    Great game!

6. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Well, premium is $5 and for an extra dollar you can get premium + Barry so it's worth it. He has a few different skills and an unlimited use shot gun that recharges every few seconds. Definitely worth it if you plan on getting premium anyways.

7. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    As a fan of Halfbrick I'm pretty much already sold on going premium with Barry and that shotgun.

My only question is after you finish the game is there anything like an endless mode or something like that?

I played the first level and I set up the on screen buttons to where I like them and I have to say I really like the game. That first level was actually pretty long, with 2 shop stops, and plenty of check points too. I was really happy to see the check points. Also being able to knock enemies off cliffs and ledges into the water was pretty cool. I really do love Halfbrick.

Billy

8. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Oh hell YEAHHH!

I saw on another screen there's a deal for $6 to get premium AND Barry with the shotgun. They've got it a bit weird. If you go into the character screen all you see is the Barry screen for $5. I would have been upset if I was still having to view ads and all that.

I'm glad I made the purchase. His fighting style is actually pretty awesome. The shotgun reloads pretty fast. What I did was watched ads until they ran out and upgraded the shotgun and then whatever else I could do. They actually put quite a bit of functionality in just a few buttons and once you set them where you like them you can really pull off some amazing moves.

I'm really liking this game. The coin IAP is WAY WAY WAY too expensive however. Plus I don't actually see anywhere that there is iCloud save support. I wouldn't buy any consumable without it to not lose money. But they need to bring those prices down. Upgrades cost quite a bit. They actually should have added a coin doubler in the premium or maybe for $1 more or something. I'd probably buy it. It's restorable.

Billy

9. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I freakin' love this game. The beat 'em up button-mashing is my kinda thrill

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    LordShad0wz:
    The story campaign is indeed fairly short and can be completed in less than 4 hours. However as you play, you'll unlock daily missions and Battle mode which are fun too.

You can sync between devices using the Profile menu.

11. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    You left out the "Billy" at the end or LoS is getting old Lol

12. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Does anyone know if there is a currency reward for completing battle mode?

13. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Super bummed there's no d-pad support on my steelseries controller. Seems ridiculous I have to use the analogs. Hopefully this gets patched soon because I can't play it like this. :(

14. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I leisurely downloaded one game this week and this one turned out to be a stomper. Admittedly only caught the time to play ten minutes but an inspiring ten minutes.

15. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Words fail me with this game, it's an absolute cracker! Really can't describe how much fun it is to play - so much thought has been put in to the artwork, fighting mechanics, level layout, control scheme, boss battles, writing and humour. Superb and well worth the price of the premium ad-free unlock. Highly recommended.

16. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Just completed the game - brilliant ending!

For anyone yet to purchase the unlocks - I went for the £1.49 starter pack to get premium ad-free, 5000 gold and the red ninja outfit. Was kicking myself after that for not paying the £4.49 for the Barry Steakfries premium unlock.....

....however, as soon as I completed the game, I got a limited time offer to buy Barry Steakfries for 0.79p - bargain! So that's the full game, ad-free, with red ninja outfit, Barry Steakfries and 5k gold for £2.29.....worth every penny. #

17. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    As always very well articulated Billy. I'm enjoying this game as well. I bought all the same stuff including the Skeleton as well as another Character for customization but can't recall which one.

It's just a nice above average game. It's not going to break any new ground or make you want to take the day off work to play but it's great fun. I could easily recommend Dan The Man to just about any gamer. I did buy premium right away though so I can't really comment on ads. Or those who prefer not to pay. The ads I did see were all optional and still give you coins after you pay as well so that's great.

It's nice to see a game come out nowadays from a Dev like this and allow us to still buy a premium upgrade. Big thanks to the devs for keeping their mind on the hardcore gamers.

18. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    6$ for a "short" story mode... I'll think about it.

Gameplay is great, I'm only a bit concerned about length of the game...

(And 6$ is a bit expensive, maybe daily and battle mode are worth it, but I don't know. My comparison is train conductor world with 5$, a longer campaign but still too much expensive imho, and I've tell the devs this)

19. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    It's not that short - perhaps compared to some platformers which rely on giving you 99 levels just to bulk it out. There are 12 large and expansive levels with hidden areas and mini fighting arenas to battle through before you can move on. The content, gameplay and attention to detail outweighs the price tag imho. But if you're not sure about spending the full amount, just do what I did - buy the starter pack for £1.49 (or equivalent) and then unlock Barry after completing the game.

It's well worth the money - despite having finished it, I'm going round for a 2nd time (noted in the text at the beginning by 'Here we go. Again') and still loving it. New characters play slightly differently too with different perks according to the costume they wear - and these can be mixed and matched to your liking. Plus there's the arena battle mode, endless survival (Mode 1 so assuming there must be a Mode 2 as well?) and the daily/weekly challenge. Not to mention the upgrading of your characters and weapons too. Seriously, there's loads of content for £1.49 - would say the full early unlock of £4.49 would be the limit but you are just paying a premium for early access to Barry, which unlocks for a fraction of the price after completion. If you're enjoying the free game but are getting annoyed with the ads, it's a no brainer - buy the starter package and enjoy, you won't regret it!

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    FiloMJ,

The levels are actually pretty long. When I first played I actually thought it was procedurally generated endless runner lol. The first level went on and on and there were multiple check points and then there are these breaks where you fight an arena style battle royale. It's fantastic.

I paid the full price and Im totally happy with the content so far.

Billy