Universal Dangerous (a.k.a Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by violentv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    You are never supposed to lose anything. We use an SQL database which stores your items and craft at any station. If you package a ship, the modules are unequipped and placed into storage at that station. It's possible you encountered a bug, so if you have a surefire way of duplicating it, please let us know (you can also email us at [email protected]). We did fix a few bugs with equipped modules, ships, and routing that will be included in the upcoming 1.0.6 release.

You have three control methods: tilt, dpad, or "slide" which is swipe anywhere empty on the screen. You can change these options in space or inside the station with the "options" button.. Tilt does not show a dpad. The dpad option always shows a dpad in the lower left. The "slide" method only shows a dpad where you touch the screen.

2. Simoom

Simoom Member

Feb 27, 2012
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate such a quick response! I can't remember doing anything out of the ordinary, but I'll buy a cheap frigate and see if I can get it to occur again. I like the idea of a single save slot per playthough, but I hated the idea for a moment when I lost those ships.

Now, if I could just steal all the cargo from other faction ships, I would make up the loss quickly!

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @BinaryHelix: please add some kind of quick save button. Only being able to save in space stations implies long game runs. It has taken me 45 minutes to play through the tutorial for the third time (now I understand how to play!), until I got to a space station and was able to save.

A quick save slot would help a lot people who, like me, can't usually spend long times with games. In fact, sometimes I suffer the: play for three minutes, stop playing because baby cries, play another two minutes, stop again because baby cries again.

I don't need something complicated, just a quick save/resume button as in Final Fantasy 3/GTA3, where you can resume just where you left it and it's a special saving slot.

Maybe I'm asking for something too complicated from a developer point, but I just wanted to let you see the problems that some of us (many?) have with long/complex games.

I'll continue playing even if this isn't implemented, because I find it is a great game and has loads of potential. Thanks for adding the d-pad, by the way. It has made a great change for the better for me :)

4. va2k0r

va2k0r Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Small suggestion: pause the game while deep scanning a ship, it gives you time to read all the information and assess an attack strategy.

ps. I wasn't aware such a feature even existed, by the way

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    100% agree, same as my situation ! Thats why ios gaming is so good for a bit of gaming here and there. Being able to save much easier would be great.

6. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    You definitely do not lose the ship. If a ship gets packaged, it won't show up on any of the inventory screens any longer, but it's still at the station you packaged it in. If you head back to the original station, it should be in the hanger, ready to ba assembled.

If it isn't, that's a bug, though I've never had that problem. Remembering where I stashed my ships though....

7. Still not working properly. Sometimes it moves too much, sometimes it doesn't move at all... Is it just me, guys? Maybe it's something bout my iphone... :confused:

8. Simoom

Simoom Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks, Athros! I gave that some thought after it happened and went back to that station, and a few others, but to no avail. The only thing I can think that happened is when I packaged the ships, I immediately double-clicked the home button over to the calculator, divided by zero, and when I came back they were gone.

Really, I'm just guessing that it was a bug that will be tough to track down or duplicate. I've tried. I almost restarted, which actually seemed exciting. I may still do so just to explore it all again.

9. Monsieur Dangereux

Feb 24, 2012
    Hello, 1st post here. In fact I registered because of this game (as you can see from my user name :)).

I gave 5 stars to the game in AppStore although I feel it doesn't really deserves it. Because it could be such a great game (probably the best space RPG/sim on iOS!). Unfortunately it is not. It is 95% perfect but 5% the worst game I have ever played. And believe me, if the ideas behind it would not be so brilliant, I would have dropped it (or not buy it in the first place). I understand that, being a 2 men team, to develop a game of such magnitude is an enormous amount of work. And I really congratulate you for it!

It's a shame though (and really frustrating) that it so close to being perfect, yet some things ruins it. I admire the fact that you are willing to listen to user's opinions (and take the time to respond) and to react on the feedback. This is probably what persuaded me to buy the game really...

So I'll take the liberty to add my improvement suggestions (speaking from my experience on iPhone, v1.0.5):

When in the station it is very hard to determine which are the menus and which are submenus. Maybe you can use different colours for the Hangar/Market/Cantina etc., and the submenus to have the same colour as the menu to which they belong. Maybe the Launch button should be different (different shape) from the other (since it's not a menu). The background for the Market (and maybe Hangar) are too bright (making the items difficult to read).

The galaxy is way too bright (especially the core systems). There are times when flying towards an enemy you can't see the details (distance, health, faction) because behind it is a very bright star or some gas cloud.
    The details displayed for the selected ship in space are very hard to read. Maybe if you add a darker background underneath the text or add a black border to the text that would solve the space brightness also.

Make the H and ? buttons distinct from M and Autopilot buttons. Like rounded squares or rounded rectangles. That will emphasize the fact that they do not pause the game. Which I kinda like. Very hardcore as one member put it. The H button could be more transparent (like the menu buttons in the station or the submenus in '?').

The ?'s label is confusing. Really. '?' stands for 'Help' in 99.99% of the menus in any software. Call it C (Inflight Commands) or something like that.
    Move the Wings menu to be the first or the last one in '?'. It probably is the most used command while fighting.

Change the 'M' icon to something like a cog wheel. Which means 'Settings' because that is what this menu really is.

Why is there an Warp option in 'M'? It does the same thing as the Warp button. It's confusing, there are 2 options that does the same thing. And if the Warp is not available (too close to an object), the same info (stations, gates, mining fields etc.) could be learned from the map.

The map... needs a 100% redone. As it is right now I'd rather use a hand drawn map on a piece of paper instead of the galaxy map. And I do. The top systems are covered by the menu buttons (when in stations), the system names cover each other, and the font is very very hard to read. And if you open the map while in space, the background is too bright to read something. The system map gets out of the iPhone display and I ONLY use it to scan for anomalies/derelict ships. That system map needs a legend too. It would be great if you could make a 3d galaxy map that spins with the finger (even pinch to zoom). And (maybe) add the anomalies to it once the player explores the universe and discovers them.

The Nanowarp button should be on top of the throttle bar. Always. Otherwise you accidentally touch it when you try to completely stop the ship. (there is no point in having as an option in an already complicated Options menu). And what are the benefits of using a separate (non-unified) slider layout?

It would really help in dogfights to have the Throttle bar on the other side of the screen (so you don't have to take your finger from the D-pad). Speaking of layout conventions I like the way GoF implemented this feature better (the throttle is in the middle of the screen and it's not visible if you don't touch it).

Merge the Autopilot buttons into one with 4 then 5 states (and we can tap to circle through its states). You can only use only one function of the Autopilot at a time anyway.

The modules icons could be more transparent. And I like having an option to have them on the right side but vertically (from top to bottom). That way I wouldn't have to keep them hidden all the time.

An inverted layout (left-handed) would be much appreciated too.

Or you can make a customizable button layout (which will simplify the options menu too) and make everyone happy.

Let me explain how I play: I use a Poseidon. I have the buttons at the bottom, active modules and contacts on auto. Particles set at about 30%. No space lights and fancy shader - due to that Unity engine bug (I have an 4S). Space stations (and I assume all objects) on high-poly. Control sensitivity at 20%. D-pad.

So first thing when entering a system or undock, I look around. If the hud doesn't pop up by itself I open it, see if I have something to do - recharge someone's shield, repair an armour. If the hud pops up, I look at what modules the enemies have, pick a target and lock on it. 99% times I don't have the time to deep scan the enemy. Start the modules I want except the lasers (I'll explain later why) and close the hud. Then put the throttle to the max and steer towards the target. Once I get close, bring the hud up, start the lasers, close the hud and proceed with the killing. From time to time I adjust the throttle to keep the target in lasers' range (this is when I can touch the nanowarp button by accident).

Then things get ugly: once I start the lasers the game (or rather my ship) begins to lag. A lot. It's a nightmare to steer the ship, most of the time it jumps from too much on one side to too much in the other. After a few seconds the lag gradually begins to fade out (but not disappear completely until I turn off the lasers OR the target is destroyed). Sometimes when I get close or if I am under fire the smoke around the target makes the lag worse. That's why I can't use Gravity bombs. If I get close to the explosion sphere the game almost stops responding.

Maybe it has to do with the ship's inertia, but it really feels you're fighting against your own ship.

And it is a horrible experience to have to take away your finger from the D-pad to adjust the throttle. Once I put the finger back on the D-pad my ship is moving in somehow jerky making me point towards any point on the space except my target.

I don't like the fact that when I steer left or right, the ship doesn't tilt. It just rotates and turn to left/right, like a boat on the water. My (and maybe others) perception is that a space craft is closer to an airplane than a car/boat.

I don't like that when I use Mass Accelerators I shoot small orange cubes. It feels like Minecraft.

The laser look and sound like a pacman's era game. And it would be nice to see that, if you have 3 lasers mounted, you really fire 3 not one.
    I understand we'll have a laser reticle in a future update of the game so I wouldn't say anything about that.

I don't like that the engine (except the nanowarp) doesn't make any sound. I don't like that the ship doesn't have any engine flames. And the only way to determine you are moving is by the fact that the ship is close (at the bottom of the screen) or far (in the middle). Flames and engine sounds would really help alleviate that. At max speed, when I make tight turns the ship almost gets out of the screen. Which is not helping in a dogfight. Maybe the camera is not moving fast enough at high speeds.

Since I'm at that part, I really don't understand how the camera works. When do I have alternative viewing positions: when I have a target or when I have a lock? If I switch the target, the camera stays on the last target. Why if I follow/orbit around someone tapping the camera show me my ship from the station's POV? Sometimes it seems like there are 7-8 different positions. This is really confusing.

One of the very frustrating things are these messages that appear in the upper part of the screen 'Help, pirates', 'SOS, I need help'. Especially when I spotted some enemies. And they just locked their weapons on me. I don't have time to read them anyway, so I don't care if the enemy is insulting me, but I do care that they're blocking me to see important info. Other times these messages make me bring up the contact list and see there is no ships around the station/gate except me and my wingmen. And they are displayed for too long. Maybe they should disappear if you tap them. It's also disturbing to see your wingmen pictures in them (even your own), only to realize it's not the wingmen, but other people...

The ability to save on multiple slots. I see no point in having 4 slots and the need to start the game all over just because you made one little mistake (like sending your first ship to its home - BTW where is home? - and apparently it got stuck in a different reality somewhere near the gate between Washbo and Kowai). It's a RGP, people makes mistakes, upgrade a wrong skill, shoot a friendly ship, blow a mission, you should be able to restart from a previously saved point.

The Hangar and Market item lists are cut at the bottom and gets covered by the upper row at the top.

(Reached post length limit... sorry, I have more...)

10. Monsieur Dangereux

Feb 24, 2012
    #290 Monsieur Dangereux, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    The scrolling works differently for market/hangar (finger or the bar on the right) and faction list (only the bar). The scrolling bar is also too dark (very dark) and too wide, making it almost impossible to see.

Why does the Hangar shows what is the cost of a certain module/ammo and not how much does it weight? That would be more important, I think. The cost is already available on the Market. It's weird and not very clear that 1 module equals 1 point of cargo but 100 missiles weights 3 points.

How does the 'Hops' works? I found certain commodities or ships or modules having the same prices at different hops. Also, are the prices at the Hub stations 10% higher than the specialized station?

I assume the app icon and the splash screen have any meaning once you finish the main quest. Because they do not correspond with the style or the epicness of the game. Looks more like a FPS than a RPG, space exploring saga or anything like that. They should 'speak' the same message.

I found some bugs too:

One of them worked in my favor. Found some derelict ships in Loopso, got to the station and tried to pack them and to load them on my Poseidon. BTW can you do that? After a few unsuccessful attempts I gave up and before undocking saved the game. It froze at 'Saving... do not power off your device'. After a few minutes I closed it and killed it in Task Switcher. Upon restarting I found out I have 2 Baldr waiting for me in Andkle Narcotics Station. I tried to pack/unpack them again (don't ask why...), saved, the game froze again. Now I have 3 packed and 3 assembled Baldr there. Too bad I don't have a cruiser licence yet to sell them and get rich. Now I'm afraid to even dock at that damn station.
    Is that what 'stay away from drugs' really means? You could get rich but your game could freeze... :)

Another one, I found out I was carrying 5 poor passengers in my cargo bay for half of the galaxy. I don't remember loading them. The thing is I run some courier missions. Maybe they got stuck form one such mission. Maybe they liked my fighting style and wanted to stay around...

Another one: if I point my laser toward a station or gate and fire, it disappear. And I can't dock or travel. The remedy is to navigate to a different station, dock, undock and then the missing object is back.

One other thing, I made an excel sheet with all the modules and their effects. I noticed there are some errors in description of some modules or no differences between T0, T1, T2 versions. If you want I can upload the file somewhere for you to have a look.

Ok, enough with the negative things, the game is great for most part. That is what makes the bad parts so frustrating. I would really want to enjoy it. And I do, except for some moments.

Music. I really like some parts of the soundtrack and I hate some. For the post part it's great, it's immersive and contribute to the game epicness. But why is one of the most epic music playing when you're in the market? That should (IMHO) play in the Hangar. Come on, you should (supposed to) save or destroy the galaxy/universe, not sell merchandise and make money. Of course, money is good but that's just a side story.

I like the lock system right now. A big NO to automatic lock acquiring. It's a nightmare in GoF2 when you just locked (and fired) your gorgeous thermo guns on an enemy and a friendly/neutral decides to fly close to your target and gets the heat... It's also notorious that their locking system prefers friendly/neutral targets to unfriendly. People are asking (for ages) for a way to switch targets.

The difficulty of the game is between easy and normal. I'd say it needs 2 more difficulty levels: hard and insane (?). Maybe another one for really casual players (if the complexity don't scare them away). Once you understand how you should equip your ship it's really hard to get your arse kicked. Most of the times I lose 5-10% of the shield in a skirmish. Maybe 20% in null systems.

The problem is, right now, I don't feel the need to trade. My ship is the cheapest (but the greatest) in the galaxy, I get money for killing rats or different side quests. I have more money than I need although I do 0 trade (except selling some crappy loot). I have all my relevant skills maxed out. My weapons are T1 level, some modules are T2 but haven't met anybody to be a real challenge. Maybe I should continue the main quest, get all my wingmen and see what this ??? faction really is. Right now I'm taking my time exploring, showing Cali the galaxy and having Akio do most of the dirty work.

If you guys have time for improvements, I would really like to have more variety in station design. I'd like the factions to have their personalized HQ. And to have more commodities in markets.

I added some pages to the wiki (http://dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Dangerous_(Null_Space)_Wiki) (thanks to Alex DeLargest for creating it). But I could really use some help there since I'm not a native English speaker and I probably made a lot of grammar errors.

And sorry for the very long double post...

11. Simoom

Simoom Member

Feb 27, 2012
  12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I happen to notice the game went from US$4.99 to US$6.99 then back down to $5.99. Not sure if it worth the $$$ at the current state. It was only my wish list from start and I wished I had it when it were at $5...

Just an observation, not a whine post. Thank you.

13. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    It's currently on sale for $4.99 for another day or so! This is the lowest price we plan to discount it since Dangerous is somewhat of a niche game. FYI: we're doing occasional discounts from the normal price of $6.99 in an effort to generate interest. After we ramp up the PR engine, it may stay stuck at the normal price.

By the way, I wanted to let everybody know that we aren't ignoring your feedback here (especially Monsieur_Dangereux and his highly detailed notes), just hard at work on the next update which was just submitted to Apple. We'll have a bit more time to respond here in the next few days.

Here's what in store for you as soon as Apple approves 1.0.6:

- Dpad turn rate limit option improves manual flight control
    - Smoother camera transitions
    - Improved orbit camera view keeps target in view
    - Improved undock and exit gate camera movements
    - Fixed missile camera view
    - Laser aim-assist and option setting
    - Option to hide ship modules in Contacts list is enabled for small devices
    - Display of neutral contacts is off by default for smaller devices
    - Market module list display options: all, high, mid, low
    - Warp destinations now labeled with quest types
    - Map locator size reduced
    - Scan probe interface made modal
    - Improved planet textures and higher polygon planet mesh
    - Can now orbit at fastest available thrust including afterburner
    - Bug fixes related to continue after dying or quitting
    - Fixed overlapping quest completion pane in station
    - Various save and equipment bugs, text truncation fixes
    - Various routing and derelict ship bugs, scrollbar bug fix
    - Lots of minor bug fixes and tweaks

Thanks for your support, and please leave a review or rating if it pleases you. :D

14. Another update? Wow,that was fast!

I must say I finally took control and I'm enjoying the game a lot (but I still want some kind of sound/animation for the ship to "feel" its moving!)

I have 2 questions: sometimes I get msgs from other ships asking for help against pirates, or to repair the self, but that ships aren't in my Radar. How can i help them?

15. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    You have to look in your quest log. While in flight, click the ? Button, and select the quests tab. You should see the location of the person radioing for help.

If they need repairs, you'll need a remote armor repairer - just lock onto them and repair their armor to full, and you'll succeed.

If pirates are attacking them, kill anything red ;) .

Look for contacts with a blue Q next to the crosshairs :)

16. Thanks! I'll try that at home :cool:

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks for the updates, great how much you pack into them and how often they are.

Agessss ago you mentioned you might 'possibly' be able to dock at spacestations and then it'll turn into another type of view, eg FPS type or 'Ultima' type style.

Is there still a slim chance of this happening ? Eg you dock at a space station, it then turns into a Ultima IV type looking (eg basic-ish graphics) where you can move to a part of the spacestation to buy items, hear about missions etc.

Bit of a reach but just wanted to check with you. There was a game years back on the Amiga (forget the name, might have been Privateer ?) where you could dock at space stations to get more info etc, really added to it. Even if the graphics were quite minimal (Ultima like) it would still be amazing ?

18. Simoom

Simoom Member

Feb 27, 2012

Oh, how about a slider for buying items, such as commodities, from the market? I haven't had a lot of luck with corporate pilot transporting, so, I figured I would do it myself. Clicking 18,000 times in the market and from storage can get tedious.

19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I am sold and the buy button has been smashed. Sorry wife...

20. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks! Send your wife our apologies. :D

A bit of news:

Dangerous version 1.0.6 for Android has been released on Google Play! (Formerly called the Android Market) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avyn.nullspace
    Get it now for the launch sale price of $4.99

Works great on HTC Evo 3D (not in 3D), Touchpad running Android, and Kindle Fire. No copy protection (we don't believe in inconveniencing our customers), so you should be able to copy it to your other devices as needed.