Universal Dangerous (a.k.a Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by violentv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Good news, Dangerous 1.0.6 has been approved! Also, Dangerous Lite is now available for people to try for free before you buy. The Lite version differs only in that you can't spend any XP on skills.

Please let us know your thoughts!

Here's what's new in 1.0.6:

- Dpad turn rate limit option improves manual flight control
    - Smoother camera transitions
    - Improved orbit camera keeps target in view
    - Improved undock and exit gate camera movements
    - Fixed missile camera view
    - Laser auto-aim and option setting
    - Option to hide ship modules in Contacts list is enabled for small devices
    - Display of neutral contacts is off by default for smaller devices
    - Market module list display options: all, high, mid, low
    - Warp destinations now labeled with quest types
    - Map locator size reduced
    - Scan probe interface made modal
    - Improved planet textures and higher polygon planet mesh
    - Can now orbit at fastest available thrust including afterburner
    - Bug fixes related to continue after dying or quitting
    - Fixed overlapping quest completion pane in station
    - Various save and equipment bugs, text truncation fixes
    - Various routing and derelict ship bugs, scrollbar bug fix
    - Lots of minor bug fixes and tweaks

2. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009

Awesome! Thank you for your dedication to this game!

3. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    same here... thanks a lot guys!

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    With the lite version and my recent upgrade to a 3GS, definately going to have to check this out. Always up for a good space sim (and overlooked this upon its initial release because I couldn't play it).

5. Thanks for the update!
    Still no engine sound, but it's ok xD

6. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    There's no sound in a vacuum, and since your perspective is outside the ship that may be why the dev's are unwilling to address it... :) Also, pervasive noise of all of the thrusters going all the time could get annoying and in the way of the indicator sounds that are more useful, not to mention that there's a cinematic soundtrack to listen to. ;)

7. Is it annoying the sound in any other game? Dont think so...
    Its important? Well, maybe. Now, with no sound or any animation, it looks like the ship isnt moving ar all...

Also, if there's no sound in the space, why the laser makes that noise? xDDD

8. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Lol, I know, the inconsistency rarely makes sense, I mean it is a game after all.. but I do feel the dev's are trying to strike a balance between real-world physics, reality and an engaging game (for example, there's almost no "space-dust" visible in real-life either so the sense of motion would only be from momentum (which would kinda be cool if weapons with mass would deflect your ship, etc.). I was mostly just teasing.. :)

9. Monsieur Dangereux

Feb 24, 2012
    #309 Monsieur Dangereux, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    I beg to disagree... If the dev's intention was realism, there's no point in ships having wings either since there's no air to "float on" in space. Sounds and afterburner's flames (along with space particles) helps create the sensation on movement. After all I have a hunch that piloting a REAL space craft is a rather boring thing: push 2-3 buttons, set the autopilot for the next star system then you can put your legs on the desk and take a nap.

I would like an engine sound, very low volume, but still there. Just for times when you turn the music off...
    What I would dream of having, as far as sounds goes (engine, warp drive, locking, missiles), is something like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apd8dJOZ-SA (from 1:29)

@binaryhelix
    Thanks for the update!

I have a few questions:
    - is there any penalty for stacking modules (energy, e-war, tanking etc.)?
    - about the falloff range - is it like in Eve, where the falloff is only beyond the optimal range or is it on both sides of the optimum (closer and above)?
    - are the prices on Hub stations 10% higher?
    - what is the use of cmb ammo? Is it better than specialized damage ammo? (Hope not...)
    - is sig radius related to the damage taken or only with the locking range/speed?
    - still don't understand how locking/number of targets works. If I lock on (and shoot) 2-3 targets, will my weapons fire on all simultaneously or will switch to the 2nd after the 1st is done and so on?

Regarding the update:
    The lag during fights is still there.
    What does laser auto aim do?
    I find the modules list on contacts is very useful (even if the screen of the phone is small), so I wouldn't disable it. Especially since one can quickly target/lock on in the contact list.
    What's the difference between control sensitivity and touch control sensitivity? In terms of effects, I mean...
    One thing that annoys me very much is the green square on my ship. It would be great if you could get rid of it for a next update.

10. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I'd like to get this after I finish the expansion of Galaxy of Fire 2 HD, I'd just like to ask... is the story of this game a big component or is it more of a sandbox-type where you trade what you want, do missions here and there, but there's no over-arching storyline to it all that ties everything up?

11. va2k0r

va2k0r Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    The story is very well written with lot of funny and witty dialogues.

12. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Good to hear! Thanks...

13. clocknova

clocknova Member

Mar 14, 2012
    #313 clocknova, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    Missing Textures still here

I've upgraded to 1.0.6 and I'm still getting the missing texture issue that has been around since version 1.0. I thought this was fixed? It seems to be a lighting issue because the textures turn white when they should either be in light or shadow.

14. Monsieur Dangereux

Feb 24, 2012
    #314 Monsieur Dangereux, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    I don't think it was fixed yet. If I understood correctly it's not their fault per se but a bug in the graphics engine (Unity). So unless Unity's devs fix it it's not much BH can do...

@Savant
    Can't say about the end of the story (since I haven't got there in 50+ hours of play). So far it's fun, it has some nice twists... I find it very intriguing and I try to drag my feet through the game (doing all sorts of side quests and maxing my skills) to delay the end as much as possible. :)

If you want a direct comparison with GoF2, I'd say it's less polished but much more complex (in terms of fighting tactics - which is basically missing in GoF2, in terms of fitting the ship) and with a captivating story. GoF2 is more pleasant in handling the ship, visually more satisfying, less buggy but feels somehow more... "arcadey" than D.

You can approach it in the way you want: concentrate on the main quest or go for side quests from time to time. Or use the mining/trade skills to get rich. You'll have to go through the first few stages of the main story (until you get your crew together) because without wingmen you'll die horribly and repeatedly.

15. Simoom

Simoom Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Yes, there is a storyline. I spent a lot of time trading and exploring before starting the storyline quests, so if I was judging only the ending, it wouldn't seem commensurate with the amount of time I spent playing. However, including the fun I had enjoying the universe apart from the storyline quests, the game is great! The story could be a larger part of the game, but I'm sure just creating the universe took more time developing than the entirety of developing other games. They probably had to strike a balance, and they did a good job. Fortunately, now that the universe is so deep, they can focus mostly on continuing the story. Better than the other way around.

I really like the various explanations of the modules and the physics jargon used. I wonder if it all comes from reading/studying science fiction, or from formal education. It sort of reminds me of some of the stuff I was researching when I graduated college. Speaking of which, I think most of units of measurements are correct, but if not mistaken (my expertise is in the electrical field, not aeronautical), thrust is a force and the unit of measurement is Newtons (N), not meters per second (m/s), which is velocity or speed.

16. I have a kind of bug here.
    Ok, not a bug, but a problem:

I started the game a long time ago, but i can't play as much as I want to. So, today I tried to keep goin' on the story but I don't know where I gotta go next. Sure I can see at the log where should I do, but I don't know what station I should move to.

So, I guess, devs should put where is the next "checkpoint".

17. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    You're welcome, glad you're enjoying the game!

We've started or should I say resumed work on the boarding ship aspect. The idea is you have to knock a ship's shield down to 0 and be within a couple kilometers. Then you will beam into the ship's cargo hold area and try to sabotage or otherwise commandeer the ship from the inside as you make your way to the bridge. It'll be a solo affair with just you, but if possible, I'd like to see if we could let you bring one or more wingmen along. It's still very early yet, but we may try to let fans help us test it somehow once we get to the alpha stage.

Once the ship boarding is done, we can take a look at possibly adding walking in stations and on planets. Ultimately, we'd love to add all that and multiplayer, too. Funding it might be problematic unless we do a Kickstarter type campaign or get more media exposure.

This is on our to do list to add a slider or a way to auto-repeat. Note that the route ability (from the Corporate Pilot skill or the Master Trader perk) lets you use a slider to pick the amount to buy.

I would like to add an engine sound and actual engine exhaust eventually. The trick is to find a sound that we can use that is not too annoying to hear all the time. Or we could do something similar to how we currently handle the laser sound: that sound is muted over time. Ultimately, it'd be great if we could hire a sound guy. Current revenue is too low to allow that, but maybe with the impending Mac App Store release and PC release on some digital service, we could make it happen.

18. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    A quick save will require a lot of work actually. It means we'd have to save the state of all the quests you're doing. Not impossible, and I think we'll eventually get around to it. Our current priority is to finish up any remaining bugs and add some form of ship boarding.

Glad to hear it!

We are planning on adding an option to let you pause the game when in the ? menu (and maybe find a better icon).

Love your handle!
    Thanks, we will keep fixing what needs fixing. So feedback is invaluable to us.

We have plans to use different colors for the sub-menus. Good suggestion on the launch button, we'll see if we can differentiate it somehow.

We've been thinking about ways to make the text more readable in all backgrounds. The darker background might work though it might incur a slight performance penalty.

Good suggestions. We originally wanted to place a scan icon for the ? button, but the icon wasn't up to snuff. We'll revisit this down the road I'm sure.

I like the cog concept visually. The issue we had was the M menu area housed two different UI concepts: a pause menu (for options, quitting, etc) and other game controls. The warp was left in here since the transit-to-warp button didn't list the warp destinations, and this was one way to let people see them. I would like to merge the two together and get rid of the warp button here. Maybe pressing transit-to-warp can bring up the warp destinations, too.

We did improve the map slightly with the 1.0.6 release, but more can and will definitely be done. Ultimately, I'd like to see the map be draggable and zoomable (pinch, unpinch). It can also offer more information, and perhaps a way to set an autopilot route. Current priority is on bug fixes and the ship boarding feature. We'll definitely revisit the map down the road.

On the iPad or tablet devices, putting it at the top makes it harder to get to when you're holding the device. Maybe the solution is to default small devices like iPhones to having it at the top.

The separate slider option gives you more information. How fast you're going even when using an autopilot like orbit. And having the distance slider around when you're flying manually gives you distance info to your target as well as module ranges. Probably more useful for hardcore players.

19. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    I like the idea of disappearing UI elements. But the throttle-in-the-middle idea might interfere with another planned feature: the ability to drag the camera around when you're using an autopilot. Ultimately, we'd like to add a way for the player to drag and drop UI elements around the screen.

Yes, this is one of the leading candidates for the UI overhaul. One button that can cycle through all the autopilot modes, or having a fly-out menu upon click/touch that lets you pick one of the autopilots. I like the latter though it will take an extra tap. But it does clean up the UI a bit. Like everything else, once we make an improvement, we'll add an option so people can choose the new or old way.

This has been suggested before, and it's definitely a possibility. The tutorial uses the transparency to indicate non-functionality, so we'll have to reconcile the two concepts.

The vertical button idea sounds like a good option to add, too. We'll put it on the to do list.

Yup, letting players customize it would probably solve most issues.

I think we will need to look at optimizing the display for all those laser "bullets" to prevent slowdowns. We also have on our to do list to use a better fx for the gravity bomb so the framerate doesn't slow down if you get close to it.

One solution is to use the tilt so you can control the throttle more easily. What solution do you have in mind? Also, we did have some fixes for the dpad in the 1.0.6 release, so hopefully it improved the handling for you.

I like the ship tilting concept, too. It may take awhile before we get around to it though since its more cosmetic.
    We did improve the laser quite a bit from 1.0.5 to 1.0.6, though we stayed with the original sound. Perhaps down the road, we can fix that and spruce up the mass accelerator weapons.

You can try to increase the space dust slider option. But at fast speeds, the dust is hard to see, so maybe we can try to add clouds later. We started adding exhaust, but decided to back burner it till some of the more important stuff was done. Probably come back to it in the future.
    When you use orbit or keep, the camera shows your ship in front with the orbited ship in the background. If you follow a ship, the camera shows you the follow target in front, etc. We have a To Do to let players change how the camera operates if they don't like these defaults.

The ship-to-station POV camera is there for aesthetics and it can be useful to see how far away you are from the station. If you don't have a selection, the camera only has three modes. If you have a selection, the camera has all modes available. Note that you can change the selection after you've orbited something and then press the Eye Icon to change the view.

There was a bug where an enemy would taunt you, but not be in the area. The 1.0.6 version should have a fix for this. Some ideas on how to handle enemy taunts and SOSes are: adding a tap to close, resizing it so it obscures less, put it in the top-line combat log area, use a single small portrait for each speaker that you can tap to see what they've said, etc. So lots of possibilities we could try...

One planned update to let you overwrite any save slot, so you could better experiment with choices. The home issue with routed ships was fixed with 1.0.6.

We fixed these issues with 1.0.6 I think.

20. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    We made all panes be draggable in 1.0.6, so this is fixed. I think we also tweaked the scroll bar width, but feel free to send us some screenshots if you think it can be improved further (email to [email protected]).

We do need to add the weight to the item description field. I like your suggestion of replacing the price with the weight in the Hangar.

Hops is roughly how many solar systems away the closest producing station is. Not all items have a producing station, so those items are priced the same regardless. As for the 10% difference, it's more complicated than that - the price depends on how far away the good is made, although not all goods are treated that way.

Yes, the end of the current storyline fits with the splash image. The original plan called for planetside questing, but that will likely come in the second of the planned trilogy since the complexity was overwhelming for our two-man team.

Hmm, we fixed a number of packaging/assembling bugs as well as derelict/routing issues with 1.0.6. If you're still seeing this, please send us a screenshot or description to [email protected].

This was dealt with though not completely rectified in 1.0.6. We'll have a more complete fix in an upcoming submission. Part of the issue is how quest states are handled during save (they're not yet saved with sub-states and only the storyline quest is tracked) and how failing a quest impacts transport/courier quests.

Stations have been made tougher as of 1.0.6 I believe. Also, we'd like to have them send out defenders and have you take a standings hit, etc. Not sure when we'll get around to it, but the eventual idea is to have station take-over quests and perhaps more of an industrial blueprint manufacturing or RTS feature set.

Sure, shoot us an email.

Glad to hear it!

The market piece was supposed to give off a Middle Eastern bazaar vibe. Sean Beeson was up to his usual antics and made it a kick ass piece. Perhaps too much ass kickery. Funny that you should think it is one of the most epic sounding.

One idea to improving our locking system (which is obviously heavily influenced by EVE) is to have enemy targets in front of you lock faster and automatically. This way, you just have to turn to face the enemy like in most arcade flight sims. One of the difference between our system and GoF2 is that you get to pick your target among all locked enemy targets, so auto locking could still work with our system.

We definitely want to add more difficulty levels, and maybe let you keep your earnings and equipment between games. But that might be too unbalancing.

The Poseidon might be a bit overpowered in the hands of someone capable like you. Also, because it is so small and fast, missiles do very little damage to it, and turrets will more easily miss if you're traveling at speed. However, the enemies do ramp up the lower the security level especially if you have wingmen helpers.

We would definitely like to do this, too. It might be too late to overhaul all the systems and stations since we want to implement more manufacturing into the game mix. Also, we'd like to add sub-system targeting so you can destroy certain modules. The scope of these two things alone will probably make them candidates for the second of the planned trilogy.

Thanks for all your feedback. Sorry it took awhile to get around to it. Still have a ton of stuff on our plate including fixing up the website and starting a blog.