Universal Dangerous (a.k.a Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by violentv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Does this game featture any giant war class ships you can fight like in freespace 2?

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #22 GoofyJmaster., Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    Haha that's the best part! In Eve for PC, it could take you days, if not weeks, to learn something. I love games like this! KODP was the closest thing we had to anything like this. The depth is crazy brah! ;)

Haha yeah! No rush, but hopefully achievements come sooner than later because I wouldn't mind starting a new at this point and prolly even in January due to the large amount of games being released. So, I prolly won't be super far into it, plus I'll play a little lazily so that I don't get super far. I f mid to end Jan. rolls by, I'll prolly just beat it and come back to it.

/excited nonetheless (wait is that an expression)

3. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    You do face off against capital ships (the Hades) and something else even bigger. You can buy and pilot the Hades, too. They're slow and not agile but have lots of shields and armor, and are very effective at fleet support. (Which is the norm in space games.) I can also tell you that we have been working with a 3D artist to make the Hades look even bigger and better, but that will likely come in the next update.

4. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Awesome!

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep this really needs a gameplay video or Sanuku to get one of his famous videos done !

I'm really interested in seeing more combat, is it tilt or are there on-screen buttons ?

Is this more like 'Elite/ X2' or not ? Need to see a vid and some reviews from people, so close to the buy button but want to make sure its an open ended Elite style game with good touch controls for fighting etc

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I'll post an impression tomorrow hopefully. This isn't the type of game you play for a few minutes and leave one for. I'll have a legit review posted later in the week. I've been playing a lot of catch up and I'm getting close. I will post some pics before I go to bed. I keep a picture log of games I play.

The storyline has me super intrigued so far. The first cut scene was WOW! I kept saying d@mn lol. The talk element is reminiscent to a bioware game where you have different options.

As far as the controls, I don't know how to really explain them now. I'm still trying to figure it out. Plus a the current moment there's no way to turn off inverted which is making the gameplay hard for me.

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I hate to be "that guy", but how does this compare to GoF2? (Which I have only played the lite of, bought the full and put away for now)
    In terms of basic controls, etc.

I thought GoF2 was pretty basic overall (which this seems the opposite of), but what it does it does well...

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Cheers for that, yeah the lack of invert controls is a bit of a 'schoolboy error' but sounds like that'll be in the first update.

I just want to know if its an 'Elite' style game, eg you have full control over your ship for fighting (and not watching a 'movie' if theres a fight) , trading / docking etc. Shame about no third person when youre in a space station but they said that 'might' be in a future update, now that would be stunning.

But from that video i cant see the usual controls for movement/shooting so i want to know if you can do that yourself, hopefully not a 'watch the movie of the battle and press an icon to shoot occasionally'.

9. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    How about this! Get on YouTube and search Eve: Online gameplay. That's the closest game you'll get to it. This is why I keep calling it the EVE clone. As far as a space RPG and depth GoF2 doesn't hold a candle to it IMO.

10. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #30 GoofyJmaster., Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    Wait til I post the picture because it'll be easier to explain. Give me some time. :) But no, it's not movie style. You control your movement and weapons.

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Ok, I have credit on my US account... I'll bite, since some people want a TOFTT. Hopefully Goofy and I (and backtothis?) will be enough to explain. ^^

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ahhh sod it i think i'll take the plunge ! Looking at those Eve videos its a bit different to how i thought the combat would be but this 'seems' to be open ended/non linear so i'm a sucker for those.

I'll report back later

13. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks man because it's way past my bedtime. 5 in the morning here and I'm running on sheer will and determination. Plus, I'm multitasking like a mad man.

/kerplunk

Edit
    @psj3809 Good man!

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Half an hour till this week's releases though, Goofy!

although, to be honest I don't think I'll see any good games... Maybe IMNS will show up and wave his magic wand?

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    It's been good for me so far. 3 great platformers, an awesome TPS, a beast of a puzzler, and this. As far as what gets released for wed/thurs, it'll prolly be junk. But I'll keep a shimmer of hope!

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep been a great week for me with Terra Noctis, some great games last night and a nice surprise with this being out so early

Just backing everything up to itunes which is taking ages then during my lunch break i'll have a proper go of Dangerous

17. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I won't be able to spend in true quality time with it until tomorrow. I'll play around with it a little before I pass out. I hope the inverted controls thing gets fixed before the break because it's actually driving me a little insane. Maybe I'm just tired...:eek:

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @Binaryhelix, I'm playing on an iphone 4, ios 5.0.1, Spanish settings, non-jb. The dialogue problem occurs when the text is too long for the speech bubble. Maybe on ipad this doesn't happen because of the screen size...

19. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Uploaded some pics

Loving the Intense Story
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesome Dialogue/Character Interaction
    [​IMG]

Controls (I, or one of the other guys, will go into detail later, I'm about to pass out)
    [​IMG]

Level of Depth
    [​IMG]

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Had a quick half hour go at lunch, blimey ! Now i do like Galaxy of Fire II but that game is much more 'arcade' than this, MUCH MORE ! I loved Elite in the 80's which was epic, Dangerous seems to be again much more epic.

On an ipod i'm finding it a bit tricky with all the small icons and what to press etc as i'm so used to 'theres the enemy ship, blast it'. Its still early days as i've only had a quick go but there is a LOT of depth to this one and i'm sure hoursssssssss of play in this game. Looking forward to it when i have a bit more time later today

And i must admit i thought the controls were perfect and no need to reverse them.

Whenever i've played space style games like this (Or Rogue Squadron type games), its like airplane controls. Press down to move the ship 'up' and press 'up' to move the ship down, i know it sounds weird but i'm so used to that on 'proper' airplane/spaceship type controls, was the same with Elite/X2 and others.