Universal Dangerous (a.k.a Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by violentv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    It comes down to priorities, really. Most space games don't even offer a black space vs colorful nebula space, so we're choosing to focus on high level stuff when we find time.

The normal user name I use was taken, so I picked Elite since it is one of my favorite games. I had no idea that Steam would use it instead of our company name. Remember also that our Steam Greenlight page predates the current controversy by months. So it should be obvious who is copying whom.

We do not use Elite in our name nor do we use any assets from Elite. Our game's protagonist is named Dangerous, hence the name. If you want to be Braben's apologist, be my guest. But the facts don't support your case.

I get way more than 2-5 fps on my 3GS. The game automatically decreases graphical options, and you can take that even further.

Commodities don't need much flavor text, really. They're just commodities to be bought and sold. As far as unfinished or buggy, we've been continuously improving the game, and we have thousands of players who are enjoying a desktop class experience on mobile. Which is more than can be said for vaporware being pushed by a certain Kickstarter.

Send us UI suggestions, we'd love to hear 'em. Remember you have a game with as deep of combat mechanics as EVE Online in your pocket, so it should be obvious why a simplistic dogfighter like GOF2 is easier to control.

I am hardly using "his" name. In fact, I wish Steam would show the company name instead of a random user name as it would look more professional. And as I stated, I had no idea Steam would use it in that way, and it predates Braben's naming by months. We have always sold the game as "Dangerous" since 2011.

According to someone who has worked at Frontier, the naming issue was brought up right before the Kickstarter, and Braben ignored it. Considering the genres are exactly the same, I find it incredulous that someone would deliberately name their game as such. But considering Braben's previous litigiousness towards Ian Bell, the co-creator of Elite, I'm not entirely surprised.

2. MrPras

MrPras New Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Okay, I thought it would be fairly trivial. Perhaps it's also a matter of taste. I prefer the toned down ones, since I don't believe (scientifically) that the sky would ever be that bright if you were right inside a gaseous nebula. Maybe a toned down look would be more realistic and better looking, at the moment it's almost like a day at the beach on some of them.

As you said, he changed the name at the last moment and didn't care that you had already released a game with a similar name. Even if he was copying a name, he's one of the founders of all space strategy games. Plus Eve online could get on your case about a few things if they wanted so I wouldn't even worry or bother with it.

It would only bring more attention to your game if anything. If you want his attention, suggest that you can develop the mobile version for him. Maybe that way you'll have access to design and other content from his games (certainly you'd get promotion for your stuff even if it all went tits up).

Steam looked different, although you explained why - still the genre is based on elite whichever way you want to look at it.

Perhaps it was just me, but I only got it to be barely playable at about 5 fps.

Well, i think some descriptions adds to the game-world. It's more about giving the world some character and building a universe which contains a story. I would say that it's the polish on any good space game since wing commander. Only very early games got away with it (frontier) and games without a good story or lacking one were left in the cold (battlecruiser 3000AD).

Perhaps something more like Freelancer could work, with two bottom panels that could be tucked away and a top panel with the main navigation functions. A separate map, mission and ship engineering interface screen would be cool.

Personally, I don't agree that GOF2 is THAT simplistic. The game mechanics are certainly thinner but the overall experience contains the majority of functionality such as trading, primary and secondary weapons, fitting, equipment, maps, boosters, autopilot and so on. In their example - thrust is controlled by a vertical swipe up or down in the centre of the screen.

Warpgate is another game with a fair amount of detail and again they've gone for the storyline over the mechanics but it's much more eve-like than GOF2. It has a much simpler interface also - even though again it's not as complex as your game. Between those two there must be some inspiration for interface - at the moment it works but still feels like a beta.

For example a dedicated Map screen/interface would be nice - at the moment it's virtually unreadable, static, ugly and superimposed. It's the worst map screen since Elite itself, come on even Frontier had a way better map. I haven't seen much storyline yet, also because the tutorial doesn't take you very far and I'm left guessing if there even is a storyline or not.

If you have thousands of players then hopefully you have some budget to maybe hire someone else to help write and design some of the weaker aspects of the game. Basically it's all about the UI and story, the game engine itself is awesome and I love the direction. Next time I have suggestions/feedback I'll send them direct to you.

Well, it says Elite. I'm not defending him per-se but you can surely contact steam and change your user-name. I would.

I know Braben is the Gilliam of the game-world, his offering will never compete with Eve Online and I don't know why he's bothering. At least he can relive the times when he was a "superstar" games programmer..

Thanks for bringing this game to IOS and for your robust attitude in dealing with my whinging :)

3. Apr

Apr Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Ive just picked this up, yes its a bit rough around the edges and could really do with some visual tarting up. But loving the depth and sheer amount of stuff going on, feels very alive compared to GOF.
    Perfect game would really be a mix of these mechanics and visuals of GOF2

Is there anywhere for online help? Or a manual?
    As theres some things I need clarifying and don't quite understand.

4. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #444 bigred447uk, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    I'm with Binary Helix on this one. Dangerous is an awesome game and solid once you get your head round the UI. I'm not a big fan of David Braben although I love Elite and it's sequels. Hats off to the other guy who came out badly in all that stuff years ago.

I'm personally enjoying learning how to play Dangerous. It's nice like a voyage of discovery. Like old games that don't hold your hand all the way through. I get a higher sense of accomplishment from working everything out.

edit : Does anyone know if my save game will carry over to the HD version should I decide to upgrade ? Also is it worth upgrading in people's opinion ?

5. diggold88

diggold88 Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Your game is near impossible to find
    Ya know, the first thing I did after buying my ipad2 a year ago is to for 'space combat' 'space' 'space trader' 'freelancer' 'space sim' and click on the Galactic Games in itunes. In almost all search, GOF2 came up and since its the only one remotely matching what I want, I bought it ($9.99), also bought the valkrie and the kaamo add ons at the same time a few days later.

Just a few minutes ago, I just did the same search again in iTunes, and nope, Dangerous does not show up in the first one or two pages. I'm using the Singapore store if it helps.

Maybe your categorization is whats making it difficult to find, along with the icon of the game. With a person holding a gun, most people would be forgiven to think its yet-another-FPS. Maybe I saw it before, but I won't bother tapping on it on the ipad. Whereas I've already checked out GPP, GOF2, Warpgate and about a dozen other games with a spaceship icon.

I found Dangerous because someone pointed it out on another forum (GPP) so I came here and found out that it has been around for 3 years. Downloaded Dangerous HD lite and tried it out for a couple of hours last night. Liked it very much. EXACTLY what I was looking for. Pity I didn't come across it sooner.

The price is right
    I agree with the price of below $10 and don't think its expensive at all because thats about the price of a movie ticket here. As long as it does not have expensive IAP, and the IAP can be restored I don't mind. Any game that has IAP that cost more than the initial game, I start to get wary and will almost always delete it, especially after that Fishies and Smurf incident in the news sometime ago. These type of games usually are geared towards IAP and has no gameplay value.

The UI needs work
    The tutorial is slightly difficult, but after a few restarts and exploring the menu, its okay. The big flashing yellow arrow does not help. The group of icons are pretty close. Better to use a flashing button. The menu/doc screen buttons look flat. Thats about it. I'll be trying out the Dangerous HD lite for a few more days but already it looks like a winner to me.

Thanks for making a great game and sorry for the long post.

6. diggold88

diggold88 Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Looks like they're both separate games. I tried both SD Lite and HD Lite extensively and just bought HD version. The SD is also taking up 970mb storage on my ipad2, so might as well spring an extra 4 bucks for the HD version.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Really? It's grown that large? Funny, I thought the stated reason fot a separate HD binary was so those of us who didn't want to clutter our devices with dem fancy pants pictures didn't have to deal with a large file.

8. diggold88

diggold88 Member

Nov 26, 2012
    yea i went through the forum as well, but was quite surprised that both the dangerous hd and lite take up the same amount of space.

9. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    #449 Pivi, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    Hey guys,

Is anyone still playing this game? I'm at the point in the game where I can recruit Kree. I have to slow him down (as with hijack missions), but I can't get a lock on him for webbing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

10. BOchamp01

BOchamp01 New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    I still play it yes. I'm at the exact spot you are, but I use Grace and Cali instead. Ive gotten all the wings except for havoc, because I keep getting one hit killed by the boss you have to beat. I'm in a destroyer, and it will prob take me a week or so just to get enough money for a Battleship. Anyway I love the game, but the wiki is empty and the forums are dead :/ I personally am still gonna play. About the Kree thing, I don't use him, so I'm cant help you. Sorry.

11. Mattyhull

Mattyhull New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    #451 Mattyhull, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
    Leviathans?

What are the leviathans for? Is there upcoming content? I would like to fly one or at least get the salvage.

4-25-13
    I finished the main quests and now get it. Pease come up with some updates to keep it interesting.

12. beyond15

beyond15 New Member

May 15, 2013
    #452 beyond15, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
    Can't Lock

Hi,

I just bought the Hades capital ship. However with the new ship, my weapon modules can't establish a lock, even after maxing out all the weapon skills. Whenever they fire, they have a 0% chance to hit. I'm not ECM'd, and staying within 5 km of enemies.

What am I doing wrong?

13. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    Dangerous HD version 1.5.3 is now out!

It has:

Tessellated planets
    Improved shortcuts UI
    Tons of new module FX
    Bug fixes

To celebrate, we've dropped the price of Dangerous to $.99 and Dangerous HD to $4.99 for all devices (iOS, Mac App, and Google Play).

14. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Oh, wow. Nice to see you're still working on this. For anyone who hasn't gotten this: get it now. For 99c it's an absolute steal.

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Will the regular version of Dangerous receive any of these fixes or improvements?

16. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    It has everything except the tessellated and enhanced planets. Both get new ship models, module effects, UI tweaks, and bug fixes.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Nice! Perhaps it is time to redownload and finally give Dangerous a dedicated go.

18. dEnamed

dEnamed New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    #458 dEnamed, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    Hey, I'm wondering whether the hd version of this has known compatibility issues with either ipad mini or ios7. I just tried and get extremely low framerates (it takes about 2 seconds for the screen to update), even with all settings on low. To clarify: I'm talking about in space, not the titles or splash screens.
    I'd love to play this, but can't. I also tried to google for similar issues but the games name makes that a tad difficult

Edit: so the fps hit was caused by the screen lock of the ipad (what?), it's still stuttering like mad but a bit better, but now the game just crashes seconds after the first warp gate. This is unplayable :/

19. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Sooo......

old thread, but might get a response here. Just downloaded even though it's been over a year for any updates. I'm just curious if the devs still working on this, new but like projects, or they're folded up? Didn't get much from their website.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Dangerous they abandoned; too bad, it had a lot more potential.
    Played it extensively after release, and at some point they stopped updating and responding.
    Ah, found the post where they said they had to abandon it due to not enough sales:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2952213&postcount=3
    They released that Castle Raiders game on Android in 2013, but not iOS.