Universal Dangerous (a.k.a Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by violentv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. trundley

trundley Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    For the 200,000 children you murdered, you will have no longer have a future future.

Uh, what? I'm downloading the game now but can i really murder 200,000 kids? Thats actually kinda sadistically fun.

2. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I guess he must have nuked them or something... ? Perhaps with the adult deaths also it was a small planet.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    [​IMG]

That's right, Dangerous is a candidate for TouchArcade's Game of the Week!

If you want it to make the cut, nominate it for voting in this thread.
    :cool:

Note: This poll is for existing TouchArcade members only. Developers may not nominate/vote for their own games, nor bring outsiders in to vote.

4. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    We've discovered a shader problem with the latest iOS version 5.x and iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. (iPad 1 with the latest iOS works fine.) We're working on a fix, but you can sort of fix this problem if you are inside a station. Click on System>Options>Space Lights and set it to "Off". It won't be quite as pretty without the light and metallic shader, but we'll update it with a fix as soon as we can. Sorry about that!

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #45 Ayjona, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    Wow, blindsided. Where did this come from?

I've seen some comparisons to EVE. Is that for the depth of the experience, or does Dangerous rely on an EVE-like auto-targeting combat model? (I much prefer newtonian physics and advanced sim controls, with manual aiming, or, barring that, arcade action. Regardless of which, reliance of reflexes and precision over auto-targeting and activating abilities.)

6. Noluckkid

Noluckkid Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Hey been following this thread long time waiting for the release. I just wanna say this is a great game has a few bugs so far but nothing to huge. The only t Ging bothering me is I got .99 loyalty with navy corp, then it tells to go talk to the leader in cantina and it says he has nothing for me. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a possible glitch? Thanks for the great game though!

7. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    It does use an auto-targeting combat model with guided missiles and turrets. However, we also added a manual flight mode with Newtonian physics toggle (you'll have to find the right faction to train that skill). There is a special ship that excels at dogfighting giving even more bonuses to the unguided lasers. Also, the gravity bomb comes in handy for dogfighting. So you can fly using only autopilots, only dogfighting, or a combination.

By the way, it's not the case that you simply lock, shoot, and twiddle your thumbs especially with multiple enemies in lower security levels. The enemies come equipped with the same modules that you can equip like: ECM, sensor damp, energy vampire, webber, warp jammer, etc. So you have to prioritize and stay on top of the situation. The Contacts list shows you what modules are in play, so there's a lot of situational awareness available to the player. You also need to provide some guidance to your wingmen and override their choices in certain circumstances. So it's a bit more tactical in that regard.

Glad you're enjoying it! The thing you posted is actually a small inconsequential glitch. We are planning on adding second loyalty quests with each faction later as content updates. So the loyalty is currently capped at .99, but they shouldn't have told you to talk to the leader in the cantina. No real harm though.

8. Noluckkid

Noluckkid Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Oh ok thank you! Just didn't wanna feel like I was stuck lol. Also I was wondering how you get more licenses if you can get high loyalty or is there another way! Thanks!

9. Noluckkid

Noluckkid Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Never mind figured it out lol got me a destroyer !

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ah, so as long as I have that skill and fly that ship, combined with the unguided lasers, I will be doing all the targeting and evasive maneuvers on my own, but also have the choice to go back to a tactical combat model, where I can instead focus on strategic decisions, module management, and wingmen coordination (for I imagine all of that becomes a bit harder when doing the whole newtonian action manual combat thing ;) )? I so, that sounds like an excellent compromise, and a very interesting ship flight/combat model.

And the way you describe the tactical combat model makes it sounds appealing. (To be fair, EVE's combat can also be VERY tactical, engaging and fun, so when I say that I prefer manual aiming, reflexes and precision, I can still see advantages and opportunities for fun with the opposing model ;) )

Well, should it work like my hopeful guess above, you've sold me this game at a time when I've spent more money on iOS apps than ever before ;)

11. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    what exactly is the problem? Is it an obvious visual glitch? This game looks rather impressive and I wouldn't want to shortchange myself by playing it when it is not looking at its best.

12. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    When you get a new license, you still need to put some XP points into the skill before you can use it. Looks like you figured it out though. :)
    I think you're spot on here. Your enemies will be using guided weapons, but you can try to close the distance to your enemy with a high transversal/radial velocity so as to make it hard for turret ships to track you. Also, you can equip various counter measures such as universal or "burst" ECM to break locks against you. You can also bring the tackler, electronic warfare or energy warfare wingmen. So there's room for experimentation and to develop your own dogfighting techniques. That special ship cannot equip guided weapons, so you have to really love dogfighting. But it makes up for it by giving you bonuses to webbing and enhances the already powerful laser even more.
    Unfortunately, the bug is very noticeable--the textures that face the light are overblown as though a spotlight were shining on them. We've narrowed it down: the bug only seems to affect an iPad 2 with iOS 5.0.1. And by turning off the "space lights" option, you will reduce the problem, and perhaps make the game playable. But either way, it won't look nearly as pretty as it should.

13. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    How about iPad2 iOS 5.0 ? =p

14. AyreonMaiden

AyreonMaiden Member

Dec 22, 2011
    iPhone player here...

Hey, dev! Been following the thread for a long time. Congrats on the release!

I bought the game last night on iPhone 3GS and I made this account just to post here. So far, I'm madly in love with everything, except for some big problems.

- The text for the individual options on the Options menu doesn't like to show up. It's as if the text is halfway buried at the bottom of the text. I can't read the options, essentially. Text in storyline text boxes will also not completely show up if there's too much dialogue, and there's no way to scroll to read the rest of it.

- The interface is entirely too cluttered for the iPhone. It feels as if it was meant for an iPad and not optimized to fit the screen of an iPhone. The text from the log overlaps everything and bleeds off the screen. It feels like I'm playing a debug version of the game and I really wish I could turn it off somehow. I wish I could just turn off a lot of the unneeded parts of the interface period because I simply cannot see anything with all those icons and text cluttering the screen.

- On top of that, the icons out in space that signify stations and planets are huge and overlap with nearby polygonal objects without any sort of transparency (I'll be looking at a space station or planet and see a square of space and icon pasted over it, for example.) Obscures my vision even further.

- The music doesn't loop correctly. It'll play once then stop completely. If I'm in battle, battle music will play, then stop for a while, then "exploration-ey" music will play.

- The map doesn't work. It's a mess of big, green, overlapping icons that I cannot decipher for the life of me.

- Graphics in Space Stations are odd. The green square on my ship won't disappear from these images, and when in the Hangar the polygonal ship just appears there too.

I hope I made myself clear, I've never done any sort of "reporting" of issues or anything before...which should tell you how much I believe in this game. This game, if the graphics and interface are optimized, will be the greatest and deepest iPhone game ever. The story kicked off with a bang, loving the Mass Effect choices, it has a billion quests (dynamically randomized ones too?!) and a billion options, and the polygons themselves look good! In short, if the interface is optmized, this will be a dream game. I look forward to following the development of this game more, and THANK YOU for filling the space-sim void on the iPhone further.

15. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Binaryhelix,could you tell me how i can disable the music as its seriously distracting and i can't find it in the options? Or if anyone else has figured that out please?

16. AyreonMaiden

AyreonMaiden Member

Dec 22, 2011
    iPhone player here...(now with pictures)

BinaryHelix, I've attached a couple of pictures to show the clutter issues I touched upon with my previous post (as well as that insidious green square in the stations...) I watched the trailer and saw screenshots and the game never looked THIS cluttered.

On iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

17. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #57 bigred447uk, Dec 22, 2011
    I have to say this game is awesome !

When I first got an iPhone three years ago some devs did a survey about what people wanted out of a space trader Elite update. I mentioned a lot of the elements that appear in this game. I like to think it was these guys who were asking and that they were thinking of me when they made this game.

My most absurd suggestion was Newtonian physics which spoiled Elites sequel making dog-fighting near impossible. (I know it's not proper Newtonian here but without spoilers check the early plot and you'll know what I'm referring to).

This bridges the gap between twitch action and auto pilot led tactical play.

It took me four restarts to get the basics of getting about in the game. The more I play though the more I realise the depth and polish that's going on here.

Don't let unsophisticated menus put you off digging deaper into this game because after maybe a couple of hours messing around and a few restarts I'm just starting to see that despite initial confusion it's actually turning out to be a great and beautiful tribute to Elite etc.

I thought the writing was bad at first with all that killing people crap but it actually gets much better with nice humour and references to classic sc-fi, Asimovs foundation series and psychohistory non the less !

Initially confusing and garish but on peeling back some layers this game is actually a lovely lovely thing. If you like this genre it's a no-brainer !

Leaving five star review on the UK store !

18. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Is the inverted fix coming on the 30th because I just can't get too deep into the game because my brain doesn't register inverted. I just can't do it!

19. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #59 bigred447uk, Dec 22, 2011
    Mate if you were suddenly in the pilots seat in a plane diving towards the ground with eighty five people on board including David Braben and his mate who created this genre (who we reliant on for ever seeing Elite IV which is apparently back on the cards !) ......

..... Would you pull the thingy back to pull up or push forward to accelerate the descent ?

Just think of this and please persevere because I'd hate you to miss out on a glorious game !

What I mean is think of the controller as if it was on a horizontal plane instead of a vertical plane and imagine that you are pushing forward to dive and pulling back to climb !

Good luck bro !

20. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Your comment reminds me of Freddie Wong's "Inverted" video. Have you seen it? It's hilarious...

http://www.channelapa.com/2011/10/inverted-with-freddie-wong.html