Universal Dangerous (a.k.a Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by violentv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #81 Ayjona, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    If this was implemented as a very, very hardcore way to access in-game interfaces for your ship (of which help menus actually could be a semi-in-game, semi-meta-aspect), then its a really cool mechanism. Absolutely brutal, but cool ;)

Just bought the game, at last. I was already pursuaded by binaryhelix thorough explanations of the very flexible combat mechanics, but seeing the care and effort he/she/the dev team puts into communicating with players, taking suggestions, and looking for ways to improve this already very deep and sophisticated experience, sold me ten times over.

2. V Kuolema

V Kuolema Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canada
    Crikey! Can't believe I missed out on this one being released. Downloading now after seeing Sanuku's awesome (as always!) vids.

Can't wait to try this one out!

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #83 Echoseven, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
    So I bought this a while ago, but now I wanna see what all the fuss is about... Finally have some time to myself!

Edit:
    So the heinous crime in the opening dialogue - what are the ~40,000 that weren't men, women or children? Mutated alien plant hybrids?

4. PRE

PRE Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Hmm... kinda want to get it asap, but kinda want to wait and see if theres a price drop since it is the holidays

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Won't have one for at least another week - App Store is frozen.

Jesus this game is complicated... Yikes.

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #86 GoofyJmaster., Dec 25, 2011
    There won't be a price drop any time soon. The dev said that they know that they made a niche game and won't be having a sale. They are actually planning on raising the price in a few weeks. I know because I asked for review purposes. Unfortunately, I've fallen behind, but I've made up with posts on TA.

At least that's the plan. I'll support the dev either way because come on people...this is the AppStore we're talking about!

7. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    #87 Kbom, Dec 25, 2011
    aaahhh yes, now i got my first wingman. the akio guy! and the game becomes somewhat easier, i don't die just by leaving the station anymore! now i can acturaly explore the univers, and get some missions done! nice :eek:)

oh, and what is that newtonian psysics? i dont understand it, what does it do and is it something you get as a bonus for joining a faction or can you train it or something?

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    From binaryhelix's description, there is a rare skill, obtainable from one faction, that allows you to fly your ships in a fully manual mode, where you control dodging, aiming, etc. There is also a special ship practically made for this mode that offers bonuses to unguided lasers (probably meaning that you can become really powerful in dogfights/gain a really high damage output, should you learn to fly manually and aim well).

You can also combine the two modes. With all this christmas stuff/real life interference going on ;) , I've yet to dive into Dangerous, so I'm not sure exactly how this plays out.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #89 Ayjona, Dec 25, 2011
    As far as I can see, the review never mentioned this as an actual drawback, and I'll be sorry to see this system go. Locking some equipment away behind factional doors is a great way to have players work for exotic and desirable gear, and to give the universe more flavour and depth. (Do we still have to travel to particular locations to buy some stuff, or is everything available everywhere? One of the most entertaining aspects of a dynamic economy is the constant search for good trade routes and cheap opportunities, and to observe and play on the varied prices across the game world.)

All the other coming stuff sounds great! I actually enjoy the process of seeing a favourite game grow over time, and Dangerous, with all its depth and sophistication (many reviews seem to imply it might be a good candidate for most sophisticated iOS title yet), will probably only become all the more appealing and impressive when the UI is improved, kinks and errors are cleaned up, and the game builds up the presentation and control mechanics to match the impressive depth...

10. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    ah! so newtonian psysics is basicly a skill and an optional ship....right?

i think it's a little slow in the begining....and i thought it seemed like a normal game! but now i have realized the complexety of the game, and realized how many things you can manipulate by different moduls and different ships and skills i'v played the game for a few days and i have barely scrached the surface of options in the game, there is something to do all the time! its really amazing! i never thought i'd see a game like this on a mobile device! one could compare the amount of stuff to do, to skyrims amount of stuff, the posebilities seems endless!

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The skill, the ship (which also gives a bonus to webbing), the unguided lasers, plus some additional equipment that go well together with the playstyle, such as universal and "burst" EMC to break opponent tracking (extra useful for manual flyers, unsurprisingly ;) ), the gravity bomb, tackler, electronic warfare, or energy warfare wingmen. The dev told me there is room to develop my own playstyle and to experiment, and that, since the ship cannot equip guided weapons, one really has to love dogfighting. Talk about a message targeted at the right audience ;)

I actually haven't had the time to go deep yet, but your assessment (together with just about every other I've read) suggests there might be no other iOS title as deeply and confusingly sophisticated ;) I'll be quoting your Skyrim comparison ;)

12. zatoichi

zatoichi Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Wow!

I've been waiting for a game like this since 2009. GOF2 was really close, and I love that game...but this is so much more open. Please keep it that way!! My only suggestion...put up a website, or include it in the in-game help...but a graphical overview of the HUD, the different icons, the navigation controls, etc. would be really helpful. For example, I'm in the station...how to I figure out how many credits I have? Is it in some secret menu? How can I overview my ship and it's current configuration? Incidentally...I'm playing on an iPhone 4s...the text etc. is really small, but perfectly legible. If you do implement some form of backward compatibility for older devices, I hope you will leave the current layout as an option, as I find it perfectly navigable. Of the hundreds of games I have spent hundreds of dollars on in the app store, this one peaks my interest the most! Love it!!!!!

13. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Yeah I would like a website to, a site were you could get help if stuck, hints on modules and ships, stuff like that! I don't see much help in the game it self.

Oh and if you hit the question mark on a module, a description on what the module does, would be really cool!

I got tons of things that could use a fine tuning, for example whene you fly manually, and pich I nose up or down, the ship seems to turn a little to the right. and an option to bank the ship, so you can align with a station or ships, so one does not have to dogfight other ships upside down :eek:) it's not really things that effects the overall gameplay, but more a bunch of small fine tunings :eek:) I'm absolutely in love with the game, love the dynamic "quests" where you can aid people in different situations!

Seriously, I need someone to talk to about this game! Haha!
    Uh....that could be a great thing to have on a website! A forum or chat, where you cold talk to others about the game!....oh....like this forum for enstance :rolleyes:

Oh, and the game does get a bit easier if you remember to use your skill points:eek: I recommend using the first ones on shield, armor and navigation :eek:) you don't die so often if you do!:rolleyes:

14. Oreniishi

Oreniishi Active Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Just bought the game ipad2 iOS 5.0 still over blown and some strange pulled verts. Laser fire looks like strange blocks. Very nice game and started to get into it, tho my eyes are bleeding from the brightly lit ship need update ASAP :)

15. Noluckkid

Noluckkid Member

Dec 22, 2011
    i would recommend getting a destroyer asap, makes things alot more managable,still die alot lol but gives you more fire power and guns!

16. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    #96 kcur, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    I've been playing for a while, and I think i've come across a bug. I suddenly have no power, even though my energy bar is full. I've tried to switch ships but the problem still exists.

Other than that, i've been having a blast. It's a very deep game, and i've been having a lot of fun with it.

Edit: apparently one of my modules was making my ship have no energy. It would be really nice if we could get descriptions of what the modules do.

17. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I kind of looked past this thread before, but read through just now and the mention of Elite has me particularly intrigued. Not sure if I should pick this up yet or not though, since I'd be playing on the iPad 2. Is the glitch merely an annoyance or gamebreaking? Also, is there any IAP in the game? Thanks.

18. Rjamesw

Rjamesw Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Great game!

I was wondering when the new update is released will we have to start a new game or will the changes integrate with our existing saves? Binary, can you elaborate a little how this is gonna work? I really don't wanna start a new game, I'm getting so far into it :)

A few minor issues I'm having...

1) when I'm in a station and scroll up or down through the text, alot of times the text will disappear. For example, if I'm scrolling down looking through the modules they will all disappear and I have to hit the module button for them to show again. Quite annoying.

2) I wish there was a way to tell which system each HQ is located in after you visit them. I tend to forget in my travels :)

3) alot of the modules have no descriptions. I've been able to figure out most of them but it would be helpful. Btw, what does the light-heavy mass accelerator module do?

A few other minor issues like the map system is confusing, but that's been noted by many others already. None of these issues are game breaking for me... I absolutely love this game and wanna say kudos to the developer! Great job!

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Decided to just pick this up. Spent a little over an hour with it so far and not really sure what to think.

The scope of the whole thing appears to be very impressive at this stage. The writing is ok. The music is nice. The thing I'm having a problem with, is I suspect this game has been designed "from the outside in." As opposed to from the inside, out. Let me explain: I picture somebody going:

"Man, wouldn't it be cool to have this huge game, set in space, with missions, stations, pirates, quests, whole systems to explore, you know kind of like Elite?"

"Yeah man, that would be awesome! Where should we start?"

Well, where I would start, would be with the flight model. The nitty gritty. Polish it to hell, make sure the physics feel just right, that it controls like a dream, that it is fun as hell to play, and then expand out into creating the "world," and reaching out towards fulfilling the scope of my ambitions. Make the core gameplay fun! It was in Elite. All the space stations and warp gates and systems would have counted for naught if it wasn't fun as hell to just fly around and get into dogfights. Is the core gameplay fun in this game? Not really.

I'm taken with the scope (there's that word again) of the whole thing. Figuring out what to do, the missions, the various upgrades, the ambitious and (mostly) apt soundtrack; I'm taken with the idea of all the places to explore and all the things to try and do. But the doing, the actual getting out there, flying, exploring, shooting things, feels wholly underwhelming.

Controls are the first thing that needs to be looked at. Along side inertia. Actually the two go hand in hand. Afterwards, combat needs to simply be more satisfying. Both visually and aurally. The UI also needs a fair bit of work.

Presently this is a highly ambitious project that's nowhere near the pinnacle of its potential fruition. I know the developers are promising to continue work on it, which is great and I certainly hope they do. But my $5.49 feels more like an (unwitting) donation to the project's potential future than payment for a delivered, finished product.

20. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    #100 Kbom, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    ipad 2 users! go to the option menu and switch off space light! when you have docked once, the bright "white light" problem goes away! the game wont use the space light feature though, but i'd rather have a textured space sim, then a white space sim :)

this worked for me, hope it workes for you to! and its good enough until they have a fix for the space light feature! :)

i thank the developers for this tip!